Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Thanks Jenny I'm ah-blowing away...to another state » Archive through March 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny "lets increase taxes again" Granholm

These are some of the task force proposals issued in November.
# Increase vehicle registration fees
# Raising the 19-cents-a-gallon gasoline tax
# Raising the 15-cents-a-gallon diesel tax
# Increasing the 6 percent sales tax by a penny, to 7 cents on the dollar, and dedicate the money to transportation
# Redirect gasoline sales tax revenue to roads

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Increasing the gas tax is a good idea.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the above is Jenny's fault, we are still blaming that fat sonofabitch Engler for this mess.

How 'bout a "Cool City" ?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm has kept her word in probably the worst economy in Michigan's history...that's all we can ask.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Jennifer Granholm and would vote for her again if I could.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The money to run the state must come from somewhere. What do you propose, Casstech? We have the largest prison budget in the country, and our corporate tax support has all but dried up. What to do, what to do?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7847
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bye-bye, lots of good buys on foreclosures in Nevada, oops, no water.

California? Drought and bankruptcies galore.

China? 2 Million laid off in the past 2 months.

So, where is the "Land of Oz"?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State funding for roads comes from gas taxes. As cars become more fuel efficient and people drive less due to the economy, funding for roads has decreased. The same thing is happening at the federal level too. The roads aren't going to maintain themselves. How do you propose we pay for the repairs and improvements needed?

Gene

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But give it all away to carpetbaggers from Hollywood.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene...carpetbaggers that are employing people in Michigan???

Jams

Post Number: 7848
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But give it all away to carpetbaggers from Hollywood.

If you have a couple of million in your pocket, you too can produce a film with tax benefits, otherwise stop bitching.

Gene

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not bitching, how long before Kentucky or Ohio have a bidding war with tax incentives and they plunder in those states.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it time for Trainman to pop in and let us know about mass transit? ... Gazhekwe is right on when she points out about prison spending and I'll add other State programs.

More on prisons than education. Something ain't right with that picture, Ms Gov needs to restructure how - and on what - we spend money on. Before that happens, I don't think we have answered the core problem and asking for extra taxes/fees is just feeding a ravinous beast.

Her recent step of looking at paroling crooks who've served their minimun times is a step in the right direction. Next will be to write new laws that allow judges to make alternatives to prison a reality.

Before Lansing really looks hard into the mirror and spends our money smarter I'd be hard pressed to give a thumbs up for new taxes.

I would favor posting the name of the contractor, and the state engineer, who designed and built some of these roadways. Something is really wrong when the newly rebuilt part of I96 starts coming apart at the seams.

Jams

Post Number: 7850
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not bitching, how long before Kentucky or Ohio have a bidding war with tax incentives and they plunder in those states.

That remains to be seen.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raising taxes is better than cutting services during hard economic times (short-term deficit spending is the best, but unfortunately illegal under the state constitution), so I can't fault Granholm for this. Particularly when MI's infrastructure is such a mess.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of those are good ideas and will benefit the entire area by improving infrastructure and especially our deeply underfunded and underserved mass transit network. Goodness knows I'm not with Jenny on everything, but this is a plus.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, the tax incentives for the film industry only refund a portion of money spent here by production companies. All of this is money the film industry wouldn't be spending in this state at all without the incentives. We have a good thing going.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But give it all away to carpetbaggers from Hollywood."

Plus, gas taxes goes for transportation and infrastructure. It has nothing to do with the tax credits for the film industry.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am for this restructuring of the gasoline tax. It's a great to reduce our bad habit of driving and it increases funds to fix our roads and... 10% (yes, only a pathetic 10%) of all transportation funds go towards mass transit, so this will increase funding to the mass transit agencies in Michigan, especially DDOT. This means, cleaner buses, better- more frequent service, HYBRID buses, potentially money for light rail?? sounds good to me!!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I support Granholm most of the time.
Michigan is the "canary" in the mine. The rest of the country will soon face the problem of paying for infrastructure and necessities, as our state is. Taxes and user fees will go up. In the words of the old country song: "I don't like it, but it just turned out that way."

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3406
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "So, where is the "Land of Oz"?"

Good question. I talk to people all over the country, and I keep hearing how wonderful it is elsewhere, like Atlanta for one in particular. The numbers don't say they are doing all that well. It truly is turning in to a "Can run, but can't hide" situation. I've pondered getting out of here, what's the point? In some of the southern cities, when it's bad here, it's still better than it is there. There are still jobs here, prices are falling on housing, better quality of workforce, this will hopefully lure industry. There is hope for this area.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texas is preparing legislation to compete directly with MI for Hollywood production money. So are other states.

Our roads would last longer if MI didn't insist that concrete used for road building has corn meal mush as it's primary ingredient.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Casstech, take Frank Beckman along with you, please!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like granholm. She is progressive, and has to deal with one of the most horrible economies in recent memory. The fact that this state has been in a years long recession has little, if anything, to do with her ability to lead or her policies.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3043
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judas granholm = sellout.

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, I hope you sent a thank you note to the state house and senate Republicans who thought being petty, knee-jerk obstructionists for the first six years of Granholm's administration was more important than keeping state government moving.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4544
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY GRANHOLM!

She knows that Michigan is dire need for cash so she raised the gas and diesal tax to cover the loss. At least she brought in alternative jobs by bringing Hollywood to our great state.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan has by far the highest weight limits for trucks. Those double tandom gravel trucks just tear the shit out of our roads, leaving the rest of us to pick up the tab.

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UncleFrank nailed it. The first step in repairing and preserving our roads is significantly lowering the weight limit for trucks.

You wonder why the moment you enter Ohio the roads improve 100% and remain that way? Reason #1 is the weight limit. If they don't lower the limit, the millions of dollars used for repair every other summer is equivalent to flushing it all down the toilet.