Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through March 04, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point of Discussion: Did you ever wonder how you ended up in a particular teacher's classroom? Were students divided up strictly by random? After 50 yrs I'm now wondering why I ended up in Sr. Madonna Marion's 1st grade class instead of any one of the others. In upper grades were students assigned by academic performance? Were "problem" students assigned to a particular teacher that had a knack of administering discipline? Did parents have any say of what teachers they wanted or not wanted for their children? An inquiring mind wants to know! Talk amongst yourselves. Discuss, report back.

(Message edited by kellyroad on March 03, 2009)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was random. It seemed like each of the four upper grade classrooms had their share of troublemakers and bright kids, as well as goodie-goodies. I think the only say a parent would get is if they requested specifically that their kid be removed from a certain teacher's room, and even then I don't think it would be a given. My parents always said 'the nuns know best'. They NEVER interfered unless it was to discipline me because of a nun telling them I was bad.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good question, Kellyroad. Looking back, I didn't have any of the same teachers my sister had 2 yrs ahead of me for homeroom.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My foggy memory suggests that the same group of kids seemed to stay together from year to year. is that how you all remember it?

Jcole

Post Number: 5985
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Z and I were together most of the 8 years, but another guy, Mike, was in a different set of classrooms until 6th grade, and then he was with me for the last 3 years. So I think it varied somewhat

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the most part though I would say about 80% stayed in the same classes together throughout all grades. There were many, many kids I was never in a class with

Jcole

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right about that. Some of the people on the grad pick are only names to me. I don't really remember ever having a class with them

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems there were always a group of kids you had in your class room for most of the 8th grades at SJ. There were many friendships made, solidified, or never happened just because of classroom assignment. How many of you can reflect back and say I became good friends with this person just because we were in the same classroom for several grades or perhaps an acquaintance of friendship waned because of placement in a different classroom? Was there one particular teacher at SJ that you were randomly assigned to that if you were assigned to one of the other 3 teachers there would have been a significant outcome in education either negative or positive?

2nd poll question: Many of us can remember what teachers we had for each grade..... Is there anyone who can remember all the teachers who taught a particular grade? This is particularly challenging for the students in the 50s-early 70s when there were 4 classrooms to each grade.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm,

1st Sr Elaine Rosaire
2nd Mrs Ferguson
3rd Miss Piggott left mid year, then ???
4th Mrs Knoll
5th Sr Judy ?? left mid year, then Sr ???
6th Miss Murray
7th Sr Marie Raymond??? Saw this on someone else's list, this rings a bell
8th Mr Joseph

Can anyone else from '72 fill in the blanks??

(Message edited by tsomyak on March 03, 2009)

12468_laing

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I can think of maybe 3-4 I was in with 1-8 for the most part - 2 of them went on to Denby with me. Kellyroad, I may remember what I did after lunch in the 8th grade, but ain't no way I could come up with what the teachers taught. I'll be looking to see who can!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That IS a good question - for the most part, I think we were kept together - but in putting together the reunion a few years back, it's funny how some grads were VERY familiar and you could put a face to them instantly, and others, I thought "Did they graduate with us?"
On the previous topic - my sister-in-law works a second job at Shepherd's Hollow - I never knew it was part of Columbiere! I'll be darned - we've always wanted to meet up with her there, but never found a time that worked for all!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd - Mrs. Huget 3-109
4th - Sr. Ellen Richard 4-100
5th - Mrs. Warzyniak 5-115
6th - Mr. McAdams 6-130
7th - Mr. Dull 7-123
8th - Sr. Marie Christine 8-127?
How'd I do, Z, J, MK?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st Sr. Maura Patrick (room 104)
2nd Sr. Anne Rochelle (room 103)
3rd Sr. Joel Marie (later chg'd her name to Sr. Sabina Jabour (room 111)
4th Sr. Mary Winifred (room 100)
5th Sr. Marie Raymond
6th - I'm drawing a blank on homeroom, but Miss Murray and Mr. Peters both taught us that year. 7th grade is a complete blur at this time.
8th Sr. Ruth Adamitis (room 129?)

Zitro

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think PTSD prevents me from remembering all of my teachers.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one cannot remember all 4 teachers who taught a particular grade except for the 8th grade.
8th grade: Sr. Rose Magdalen, Mr Kienary (my teachers) and Ms. Batche and Sr. James Marie

In reality, there were 32 nuns in the convent and only a minority were known (at least from my perspective).

Another poll question: If any on you still have your 8th grade class pictures how many of those students could you identify as never have been in your class?....perhaps you never knew of them at all.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st and 2nd grade Sr. Maddona Marion
3rd grade: Miss McManus (later Mrs. Ruprich)
4th grade: Sr. Mary John
5th grade: Sr. Robert Marie and Mrs. Pierce
6th grade: Mr. Flemming and Sr. Treseta Ann
7th grade: Sr. Margaret Patrick, Sr. Thomas Michael
8th grade: Sr. Rose Magdalen (Mrs Martin while Sr. Rose Magdalen was out ill) and Mr. Kienary

Principals: 1st grade: Sr. Thomas Annette, 2-7 grade: Sr. Leonita, 8th grade: Sr. Patrica Marie

Jcole

Post Number: 5988
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st Sr. Daniel Michael Sr. Joel Marie?
2nd Sr. Angus, Sr. Dominic Michael
3rd Mrs. Huget
4th Sr. Ellen Richard
5th Ms. Warzniak, Sr. Robert Marie, Mrs. Haddad
6h Sr. Paul Therese, Mr. McAdams
7th Ms. Sayers, Mr. Dull, Sr. James Marie, Sr. Marie Raymond
8th Sr. Joyce, Miss Paonessa, Mr. Joseph, Sr. Marie Christine

Did Sr. Dominic Michael move up to 3rd grade when we were there? I remember a really nice 3rd grade nun in room 110, but I can't recall her name

12468_laing

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jcole, I notice you had Ms. Warzniak in 5th grade. I remember going to Denby with a Pat Warzniak - could he have been her son? Real tall guy - real nice. He also went onto WSU with me.

Jcole

Post Number: 5989
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so, because I got to be fairly close to her and would go to her house on my bike, and all I remember is her having a baby the year after 5th grade. I'm only a year older than you, so unless she had a bigger kid I never saw, I don't think so

Tsomyak

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Laing, I believe Pat sometimes lurks on this site. I had dinner with him last Saturday. Don't know if that was his mom though, different spelling I believe.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, KR - was Ms. Batche's 1st name Shirley?

I seem to remember a young lay teacher by that name in my day that we all thought was pretty hot.

In looking at my class picture, it seems I knew most of them pretty well. Maybe we did switch around.

Of course, I was immensely popular so folks just wanted to know me. :>)

Jcole

Post Number: 5990
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Pul-eese

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - together through sixth.
CFG 3-5.
7 - Sister Mary Sumpinorother
8 - Miss Funicello.
Z - I know we had a few together.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, was your 5th grade teacher Sr. Judeen? I seem to remember her as a singing nun who played the guitar and taught us all the cool songs like "Sons of God", and "Cum Ba Ya"...one of the first to wear the newer habits.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe so, 7andkelly, that sounds really familiar. I remember her being young and energetic, all the kids really liked her a lot, and were sad to see her go.

Oh, I think Mr Joseph was in 129. He was in the end classroom that faced the back of the gym, I think that was 129, anyway. Did Sr Ruth teach math across the hall from Mr Joseph?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: I believe it was Shirley Batche. Miss Batche lived on Eastwood between Rex and Morang and would always give me a cookie on my walks around the block when I lived on Morang (I was only 3 or four at the time). Coincidentally, she was the only teacher that game me her phone number.....She also was a customer on my Detroit News route :-).

7andkelly

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Sr. Ruth was on the Madellin side ... possibly Rm 128 then. I think you're right about her teaching Math ... she definitely envisioned us shining in high school with the strong head start from her class.

Zitro

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: 7 - Sister Mary Sumpinorother was Sister Marie Christine. If you check out the St. Jude FB page there's a pic of her 7th grade class on there.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - That's her, I just had a brain freeze when I was writing.
Checked FB, could not find photo. Do you know ehich page it's on?

(Message edited by mkap on March 04, 2009)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M, don't worry. Some of the nuns starting changing their names back around 1966, so it can get confusing.