Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Top 10 embarrassing moments in Detroit politics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press has made a list of Top 10 embarrassing moments in Detroit politics.
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090307/BLOG24/90306099/Top+10 +embarrassing+moments+in+Detro it+politics
"10) The Detroit City Council boots then-Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick out of their meeting, refusing to hear his budget proposal.

9) “Shrek!’’

8) Tie: Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins’ imitation of a Disney princess with her birthday tiara as national media attention was on Detroit, and Collins’ grating rendition of "Onward, Christian Soldiers."

7) The late Councilwoman Kay Everett threatening to “go East Side” on Sharon McPhail.

6) Sharon McPhail’s shocking attempted electrocution saga.

5) The City Council’s recent Cobo brain cramp

4) The Synagro sludge contract scandal (something tells me this will be moving up the list shortly).

3) Former Detroit City Council member and public school board member Lonnie Bates is convicted of bank fraud and theft.

2) Local leaders (with plenty of help from state officials) fumble philanthropist Robert Thompson’s proposal to give a $200 million gift to the Detroit public school system.

And the number one most embarrassing episode in Detroit politics in recent years? Like that’s even up for debate: Kwame Kilpatrick."
Is the Free Press leaving anything out or do you agree with the list?
I heard about the other things on the list but, can someone number seven to me? When did that happen? Kay Everett threatening to “go East Side” on Sharon McPhail sounds very interesting to me.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyer's with her 'look like me" statement. I am also interested with info about # 7????

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about an honorable mention for those plastic shrouds around the base of the streetlights. I believe they spent $1.2 million. Couldn't someone have gotten one and tapped it with a rubber mallet and figured out they weren't going to last?

You can't convince me that there wasn't some sort of payoff involved in that deal.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 676
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbara-Rose Collins sounds like she needs a psych work-up. Perhaps council members should all have to prove their mental stability to be eligible to run? At least, anger management and East Side sensitivity training for Ms. Everett. LOL

As a woman, I'm frankly embarrassed for my gender by all of this. Almost 90 years since we got the vote and this is the best we can do?

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the MT's interview with McPhail and her explanation of Everett's confrontation with her.

"...I had the strip club thing on for a vote, the adult entertainment ordinance, and it was to stop those nude barbershops from moving in the city. She tried to take it off, she threatened to punch me in the face. You didn’t see that. She had her fist in my face that far from my nose. She slapped her hands in my face. She threatened to "go East Side" on me. In order to try to lighten up the mood, I went, "OK, woo-woo, I’m scared, can we move on now?" What did you see in the media? "Woo-woo, I’m scared."
metrotimes.com/editorial/story .asp?id=7978

Themax

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: the MT 2005 interview with McPhail

Is Detroit still paying over $15,000 to knock down a house? How about the charge that Detroit pays 10 times more for solid waste disposal?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to remember the general consensus on Mahaffey...

was she good or bad?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mahaffey was one of the few voices of competence and reason for many years on the council. If one did not like her, or her actions, I would look closely at their motivations or accomplishments.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the good old days of Jack Kelly and Clyde Cleveland.

Just think, back in 91, Keith Butler said he wouldn't seek reelection because he felt that crop of candidates were "too crazy". Wonder what he thinks of this current bunch?

Themax

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keith Butler doesn't believe in evolution and he calls other people crazy?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll betcha they had a hard time paring it down to 10...

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did some more research and got this on number 7,
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/2946381/detail.html
But I think this is a different clash but, it is connect to going east side. I guess they had relationship issues.
Too bad the video does not work. Does anyone has video on Kay Everett threatening to “go East Side” on Sharon McPhail.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is Detroit still paying over $15,000 to knock down a house? How about the charge that Detroit pays 10 times more for solid waste disposal?

After Kwame was elected the first time, Bobby Fergueson got the city contract to demolish abandoned homes and the cost to demolish a house magically DOUBLED from what it cost when Archer was mayor. Imagine that?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Jack Kelly (who supposedly had stopped drinking0 getting into a fight at Dooleys one St. Patty's Day when someone knocked a green hat off his head?

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is when Ken Cockrel Sr, defended Alfred Hibbitt, who was accused of shooting two police officers in a 1969 shootout at the New Bethel Baptist Church. Cockrel won an acquittal for Hibbitt by citing the racist activities of the Detroit Police Department. Cockrel burst into the consciousness of all Detroit during the trial when he was charged with contempt for calling the presiding Recorders Court judge a 'lawless, racist, rogue bandit, thief, pirate, honky dog fool." He successfully defended himself against the contempt charge, partly by exposing that the Wayne County Jury Commission systematically insured that juries were overwhelmingly white, male, and middle class. There was a gag order in the case, keeping many of the details out of the daily papers, however Kenny would leave the court for lunch and go down to Kennedy Square where people would be gathering for lunch and pontificate on how the case was going and evey day of the case Ken Sr would return to the square and let the people know what was happening in the case and how he was able to show that the judge (who charged him with contempt) was a 'lawless, racist, rogue bandit, thief, pirate, honky dog fool."

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all this stuff is so wild... as someone who did not move into the city until a few years ago, it's amazing to think anything at all can run with such city government...

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an outsider's point-of-view, it seems like Detroit City Council, some members especially, are not representing this city very well.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the Freep list is dedicated to only the last few years, it's unfortunate we can't re-visit the Young administration. So how about a Martha Reeves two-fer:

1) her collection of derelict properties
2) the Jay Leno diss

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.