Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » New Fitness Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from my weekly trip to Meijers at Mound and 12 mile.

A new fitness center is set to open next to Meijers, nice new building. People were lined up for memberships.

What gives? The economy is in the tank, who are these people with discretionary income that can afford a membership?

Why don't we start a list of new or expanding businesses?

There are positive things out there, in spite of the doom and gloom coming out of Washington.

Lets wish this new business well.

All is not lost, keep the faith.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene...same reason I started going to the gym after I lost my job. Working out and getting back in shape helps ME feel better about myself, not to mention the fact that without having health care, being in shape affords me the ability to be healthier and keep my health costs down.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been told that after a job lost the most important thing you can do after of course trying to find another job is to keep your health. I'm don't know if its lots of discretionary income or people making a priority of the little income they have for fitness but its good to see anyway.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for new businesses, there's a Domino's opening in a gas station at Woodward and Ferry and some new restaurant moving in next to the Jimmy Johns on Anthony Wayne/Third.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, when you think about the health benefits of a gym membership that is used, it is one of the most cost affective things you can own. I also spend more time at the gym when don't have to work.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if we could structure our communities in such a way that it actually makes sense to walk and/or bike from place to place. Then we wouldn't need "fitness centers." Ever notice how Europeans drink only whole milk, put butter on everything, have meat with just about every meal, and still don't get anywhere near as fat as we do with our Weight Watchers and our Lite and Lo-Cal and I-Can't-Believe-It-Tastes-Like -Shit?

Sitting in traffic on the way to the fitness center, munching on a McBurger with McFries and gulping down an extra-large Diet McCoke (you know, to cut down on those calories), the irony is completely lost on us. God bless America.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building that used to have the Powerhouse Gym in Oxford,Mi., is now a Goodwill thrift store. Now that's a sign of the times.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.