Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tigers 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not looking very promising so far. Appears to be a .500 ball club at best. Oh well, we shall see.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 974
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't really judge too much from spring training outcomes because the rosters change over so much. Add the fact that so many players are at the WBC and that further highlights that.

The number of walks and overall lack of control the pitching staff is showing is a concern though.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Rodney and Zumaya will be the key to the season. I'm not as worried about the starters as Porcello appears ready to move into the rotation by the end of May. It's just a hell of a waste of money to know Robertson and Willis are locked up through 2010. I wouldn't want to be Dombrowski calling Ilitch to say we need to release those guys or pay all but 10 bucks of their salaries to make a trade. I'm predicting the division is even more competitive (mediocre) this yr and 88 wins will take it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9583
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Rodney and Zumaya will be the key to the season.

That doesn't encourage me.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Porcello and Perry are indeed bright lights so far this pre season.

Dombrowski and his scouting staff deserves credit there.

Either this year or next pitching will be much, much better then '08.

I'm not worried about hitters.

I'm not ready to close the book on D-Train. I'm still hopeful

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3135
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't take this personally, Steve, because I was annoyed about it before seeing your post, but I am already tired of folks-- Mike Valenti, take note-- harping on & on about whether or not Porcello should be brought north with the team because "he's had such a good spring."
He's pitched twice!! For a total of four innings (during which seven batters reached base)!! He hasn't "had a good spring;" he hasn't even HAD a spring, yet!!
We go through this nonsense almost every year. The last big rush was Miller. We just HAD to get Miller up here, like the move was going to represent a desperate measure which, while risky, would provide a huge shot in the arm for the team and lift us from the abyss.
BULLSHIT. Do you want to know what having a good, durable throwing arm and enjoying some success in the minors means about your major-league career?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Everybody nods, harumphs, and agrees that, most likely, the best thing for Porcello is to spend the season in the minors, but then, based on the completely erroneous presumption that his presence would go miles to save the season for the Tigers, the nodding harumphers let out long sighs and say, "but we gotta bring him up."
Ach, me head, it hurts...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I hear you.

I think Porcello is making this team based on his 'resume' + a few innings of work.

Plenty of written word that Dombrowski loves Porcello, Perry and the other kid, Cody S.,

Having said that, I'd would not be disappointed to see him go to Erie and come up during summer much like Verlander did.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9633
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers preseason game is televised tonight on FSN! I have beers and burgers, ready to go. 7:30PM.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9636
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Miner's performance last night didn't help him get that 5th starter position.

Other than that, though, it was fun to watch a Tigers team missing most of its top players beat the Cardinals. Timo Perez put on a good showing. Laird and Larish, as well. We may not have any pitching, but I guess there's at least some depth.

That Ryan Perry kid looked awesome in the 9th. Of course he has everything to prove out there. Leyland says him getting on the roster would be a long shot, but considering the alternatives, WTF.

401don

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why Ryan Perry would be a long shot, especially if Zumaya continues to have shoulder problems. I don't think Perry has given up a run yet and he's being groomed only as a reliever. You don't have to worry about pitch counts with relievers. You can use them for one or two innings, give them a day off as needed, etc.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree 401.

At least this year if Zum can't go Perry can.

Last year we didn't have the option.

Dito Porcello. If a 5th starter can't be found by mid season, bring up Rick.

Young pitchers are a Tigers' treasure.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's probably glad they got his name wrong...

401don

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pretty good. Maybe the nickname will stick, as in "Chase was chased from the mound again."

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dontrelle looked good yesterday in the intrasquad game. 36 strikes on 50 some-odd pitches.....not too bad.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a bubble breaker. Sporting News, picks the tigers dead last on account of their pitching staff. So, what else is new?

401don

Post Number: 964
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the pitching and team could go either way, the Tigers have 3 solid starters and a 4th if Bonderman is healthy. Sure they have 4 guys fighting for the 5th spot, but how many teams have 5 solid starters. They will not finish below K.C. again, a team that has no idea who their 3rd, 4th and 5th starters will be.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 757
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don,

I guess all depends if we are talking about early April or early July.

Early July could be Verlander, Bonderman, Galaraga, Jackson and MAYBE Porcello. And MAYBE Perry doing the 8th and Zumaya the closer.

There is some hope.

Ravine

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have high expectations for the season, but I actually feel reservedly kind of O.K. about the Verlander-Galarraga-Jackson trio. (I have nothing but best wishes for Bonderman, but for me, last season was the Gotta Do It Now moment. It didn't happen, so I have let go of any "What Ifs" involving him.)
I'm trying to be realistic, and I think it is realistic to believe that the above three guys can combine to provide us with 40 Wins. That doesn't sound like much, but if you think about it, that would be pretty good.
I expect for Galarraga, who is no longer an unfamiliar face & arm, to experience a bit of a sophomore slump, but given the type of pitcher he is and the type of personality he seems to have, he just might surprise me on that one.
I have high hopes for Jackson. He seemed like a guy who could be on the verge of having a "breakout" season, but the Rays-- somehow-- have assembled an impressive staff, and they needed a guy with Joyce's potential.
I hope Joyce thrives there, but I still really want to believe that we hosed them on that trade.
Bottom line? Our shaky-assed bullpen was a major problem last season, and I have no reason to believe that it will be any better, and that means we will be having a hard time all year long. And, not to pick on Brandon Lyon, but if picking up Lyon was all we were going to do, we could have just sweet-talked Jonesy into hanging around for one more. We had a love-hate thing going on with Jones. We could end up with a hate-hate thing for Brandon Lyon, who has been around long enough to show what he's got, and what he has shown is C+ at best.

401don

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Ravine. Lyon is so much like Jonesy it's scary but hopefully Leyland will have a very short leash with him, knowing his own job is on the line this yr.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan Perry.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have nothing but best wishes for Bonderman, but for me, last season was the Gotta Do It Now moment. It didn't happen

You're going to vilify the guy for having a blood clot, a potentially life threatening condition? It's not like it was his fault or he didn't pitch well because of something he was doing. Fuck, he had bones removed for christ's sakes.

Ravine

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Settle the fuck down, Cheddar. I'm not some half-wit drooler here for you to slap around in an effort to release some of your shitty little aggression issues.
I didn't vilify Jeremy Bonderman, and I'm quite aware of what he went through. I like the guy, I want him to prevail, and I want him to do so in a Tiger uniform. Still, there are only so many years in the "this season for sure" bottle, and after last season, I let go. I want it to happen, but I am not looking to Bonderman for anything, not for anything at all.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't intending any animosity in my post, so don't read any into it. You're alright in my book, Ravine.

I'm not a big fan of Corky or anything, it's just that I can't call the last straw on a guy for something that isn't his fault.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I could point something out...

Rotation in shambles...4 starters tops...Why don't we go after Pedro? He's out there, he pitched pretty well in the WBC, and it could only be an upgrade...

Any thoughts Ravine?

Ravine

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cheddar, you're O.K. with me, too, and it is a sign of my respect for you that I don't sand down, or buff up, my remarks to you.
D_mcc, I have heard some folks on the radio toss around the Pedro idea, but I haven't really given it any serious thought. It sounds O.K. to me, providing that it wouldn't require a serious commitment. Over the years, though, I have grown tired of the Tigers picking up guys who were great but are long past their prime. (Hey!! We got Fred Lynn!! He was Rookie of the Year... 15 years ago!!) Of course, I figure that most fans could issue the same gripe about their respective teams. Another thing about Pedro is that he has never pitched with only his arm; he, like Maddux, pitches with his brain, too, and that trait can prevent the aging process from being as much of a handicap as it would be to most guys. However, the last three seasons very strongly indicate that he is finished; look up his record, and you will notice that those three lines do not, in any way, resemble the rest of his career.
So, my bottom line on the topic is... Naw, not really interested. Add three seasons of ineffectiveness/injury issues to his being 37 now and the likeliness of The Big Comeback is very, very remote.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats why I ask you...You're the man with the know-how. I was just thinking out loud really, I agree with you about porcello too. I mean, just look at how David Price isn't gonna be close to Tampa Before June...why should we rush someone???

Ravine

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, thanks.
And yeah, why rush Porcello? Isn't this the team who, early last winter, actually had the ridiculous audacity to state, with a straight face, that we were looking so fat in the starting pitching department that a trade might be not only possible, but necessary?
I'll never get over that one. I haven't looked at Dombrowski the same way ever since hearing it.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never in my short life see a team unload so many young starters when our older guys had a propensity to always get hurt...when was the last time Bondo played a full season? Why do we trade young promising arms for junk???

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

74-88

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the Tigers be the first MLB team to hold a fire sale this year?

http://tinyurl.com/dnyxaf

401don

Post Number: 969
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't have a fire sale if there's no buyers because there's no perceived value in what you're offering. That's why Sheff just got released outright. You might be able to move Ordonez or Guillen at the All-Star break if you pick up part of their salaries.

I love the flexibility releasing Sheff opens up. We can have two speedy outfielders in the line-up with the addition of Anderson, allow Guillen to DH some of the time, and Larish, who I think is going to be pretty good, makes the team. We're definitely better defensively and more balanced with righties and lefties this yr. Now about that pitching . . .

Ravine

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right-O, 401don. Leyland seemed to like Sheffield, but I'll bet he will quickly come to enjoy having some fluidity with that DH spot. I never liked the Sheffield move, but I tried to be positive about it. He's a pain in the ass attention whore who doesn't perform unless he's feeling good about his situation. The minute we picked up Cabrera-- who can be thought of as a young, legitimate superstar-- Sheffield was no longer The Man, and when Sheffield feels like he's not in the front row, he disappears altogether.
Good fucking riddance, and here's hoping that the Tigers are not so quick to hand out that #3 again anytime soon.
Huh! He never got the chance to beat up Daniel Cabrera-- who is 13 years younger, 50 lbs. heavier, and 7 inches taller-- for hitting him a couple of years ago.
Still an absolute lock for the HOF in my book. I don't even have to think about that one.

401don

Post Number: 970
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dombrowski is getting the heat for some bad $$$ moves and the extensions to Willis and Robertson were indeed a joke. But remember, GMs spend what they're told to spend. Ilitch was fed up with the Tigers losing for 20+ yrs and wanted to win a World Series before he crokes. He told Dombrowski to win now! When you're put in that position you have to take chances. Sheffield wasn't coming to Detroit until he agreed to an extension, the Marlins wanted a 2 for 2 deal to move Cabrera and Willis, Renteria was the only SS with a decent bat available last off season, etc. etc. When your owner says do whatever it takes, you are forced to make some very risky moves. Dombrowski has shown from his time in Montreal and Florida as well as this past off season he can make smart trades (and previously with Polanco & Guillen). It's the "go find me a superstar to plug a hole" moves that can make any GM look bad. Look at some of the Yankee signings the past few yrs.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The #1 issue with the Tigers last year was relief pitching. They haven't addressed this issue at all. I'm looking for another .500 season.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.