Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through March 08, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the St. Jude facebook photos had advertisements from a 1970 athletic program. Included was an ad from Easy Way Marine at 19200 Kelly. In the early 70s I must have walked by that place a thousand times on the way to NDHS but for the life of me I don't recall a marine shop on Kelly. Was it there just a short time? OK all you Kelly road experts..It's time to chime in..details please.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Kelly and Kingsville? My online yellow pages says that's where the Sweetheart Bakery is now. Boy, I don't remember that one either.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No clue, that's like the Foxy Lady, I can't recall this place either, I think it may have been where the Flying Machine was but not sure.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i had Sr. Ruth Adamites in 8th grade, she was in the 2nd room from the end on the Maddelin side. Taught history and civics in 70-71.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, J - MUCH better than me in naming ALL our teachers. I remember when we were so cool, we "changed classes" - single file and just across the hall, but it was still a big deal. and whoever asked the question about "Did that person "REALLY" graduate with us - I did relive that feeling at the 30+ yr reunion prep.

St_juder
Username: St_juder

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a marine repair shop on the corner of Kelly and Kingsville where Sweetheart bakery is if it is still there. I walked by that corner for many years on the way home from school. Does anyone on this site still live in the Eastside? I

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Juder: Sweetheart bakery is still there on Kelly Rd. They use to carry cheese cakes to die for.

Does anyone remember if Sweetheart changed the building when they took over the Marine shop? I don't recall a marine shop with a diagonal front door entrance like Sweetheart has.

12468_laing

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't remember the marine shop at all, but do remember Mr. Libecki working at the bakery - think he may have owned it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5993
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Sweetheart Bakery on Van Dyke near 14 Mile. Is it owned by the same family?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I was visiting my mom over the weekend my brother brought over an apple coffee cake from the Sweetheart bakery on Kelly. I've been craving more ever since I got back to Austin. By my estimation they're as good as they ever where.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Yes, the Sweetheart Bakery in the Michele's restaurant building on Van Dyke just north of Chicago Rd. is in the same family. The aroma from that bakery makes one want to order desert first when dining at Michele's. BTW,check out the Polish menu at Michele's on Tuesday.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 671
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet - check out the Polish menu at St. Jude after the 4:00Mass next Saturday, March 14th. Yous truly is making ALL the stuffed cabbage - and we're having Kielbasa, kraut and Pierogis as well - See you there J!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Wow, I wish I could be there on March 14 but the work schedules precludes it. That doesn't mean that some of our St. Jude Nostalgia friends who live in Iowa, California, Texas, Tennessee, or Washington can't make it. I'm sure it will be well worth the trip.
Do you anticipate a large crowd?

Jcole

Post Number: 5994
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Tringali's Bakery somewhere near the old hood. Was it in the building where Famous Pizza was, or was it further up Kelly somewhere?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Wasn't Tringali's Bakery just south of Pollas on the same block?

Jcole

Post Number: 5996
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Polla's was the second store north of the corner so if Tringali's was there, it would have had to have been on the corner of Kenosha and Kelly. I just can't remember.
Where are you, ZZ?

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - Tringali's was the store South, right next to, Polla's. Now it is a you buy we fry fish place. Polla's was bought out about ten years ago. They have since gone out of business for not paying taxes, I heard.
Tringal's moved out to I believe 12 and Schoenherr

Zitro

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Little Joe's Bakery too at 19330 Kelly.

Mkap do you remember the name of the Barber Shop on on Kelly right where St. Fair ended? One of the owners was a Ruggeiri, brother to the 2 who owned Frank's store on Boulder

12468_laing

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tringali's - the home of the best Italian bread of it's day. What was the hardware/plumbing place in the same area? My dad used to go there all the time.

Zitro

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roullo's, I believe this is where Mkap received training for his trade.

Hw1975
Username: Hw1975

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved Tringali's bread! I don't think my family had a holiday dinner without it!
Used to stop there on the walk home from school to get pistachios, the red kind (Red Dye #7--yum).
Wasn't there a hall, like for weddings, between Kenosha and Washtenaw? I think it was called Imperial. My grandpa was an auxilary policeman and he used to park cars and watch the parking lot there. Made good tip money.
Anyone remember Mabel's? It was between Elkhart and Roscommon. It was called a Notions store but she sold penny candy...used to stop there on the way home from school too...
I remember Clete's barbershop, but I think that was between Woodside and Roscommon, near Bidigarie's.

Zitro

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW: I think you uncovered a long standing question around here. We've been asking for a long time what the name of the penny candy store was. Mabels!! Thanks so much!!

Clete's was another barbershop, but it was different from the one I'm asking about. Don't know about Imperial, but I knew it as Ingrao's Hall.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Roulo's was the plumbing place, and they are still there. I dated the owner's niece in high school. I even worked there for a (very) short stretch myself.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we're expecting a big crowd for the Polish dinner - but there's always room for more! It sure would be great to see everyone there. For those that are interested, there's going to be an open house/school walk-through after the 4:00 Mass on Saturday, March 28th. I won't be in town, but I'm sure it will be fun - AND - there will be bowling flyers available, for all you bowlers to sign up!

Jcole

Post Number: 5998
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mabel's?? I don't think I ever knew it as anything but 'The Penny Candy Store'.
I remember the hall being Ingrao's too, but it may have changed after I moved. Tringali's is on Schoenherr and 12. I pass it going to St. Clair Shores sometimes.
Here's a link so you can all drool over the products page. There is also a short history which mentions the HW store
Tringali's

Zitro

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, I forgot about their Canoli's. The best around hands down

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tringali's and Sweetheart are both fine bakeries, but my favorite one was the one on the SW corner of 7 and Kelly next to George's Party Time (a.k.a. the Beer Store). Their giant sugar cookies and Russian rye bread, sliced thin were fantastic.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father-in-law, a downriver man, actually made a point to stop in Sweet Heart bakery when on the east side. I guess it's time to get another cheese cake.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's time for another picture puzzle. The pictures are all from St. Jude Parish or the nearby neighborhood. (past and present). You may have to squint, rotate the screen, go back in the archives of discuss detroit, or simply use your imagination. The first one to identify what is subject of each of the 5 pictures wins the prize of extra stuffed cabbages at the the upcoming St. Jude Polish Dinner (Of course if campfire-girl oks it)

Hints later if needed

Zitro

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#2- The Ant Hill at Heilman