Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Wow. WikiMapia (Comerica Park) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikimapia ( http://wikimapia.org/ ) allows people to outline and describe landmarks or just general areas of a map. It's owned by Wikipedia I think. Neither Wikimapia nor Wikipedia are probably accurate. However, I found this description when I clicked on Comerica Park.

"Comerica Park is a gay *** field that is nothing compared to Tiger Stadium. Thanks Kilpatrick, for nothing. has been the home to Detroit Tigers baseball since 2000. It cost $300 million to build, and seats over 40,000. It was constructed as a replacement for Tiger Stadium and is located next door to Ford Field, the home of the Detroit Lions. Like many other sports venues constructed in recent years, the park is named after a corporate sponsor, in this case local bank Comerica Bank, who paid $66 million over thirty years for the naming rights.

Comerica Park was the site of the 2005 MLB All-Star game. On October 21, 2006, Comerica Park hosted the first World Series game in the history of the ballpark (Game 1 of the 2006 World Series)."

Whether you agree with this person's description or not, You would think it would have been removed by now. This and Wikipedia are what pass for encyclopedias today.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's about as accurate as ... the rest of Wikipedia. :P

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but some people need the information and don't have an encylcopedia set or can pay for an online subscription. I am smart enough not to reference wikipedia on my college papers, but if I need to know something like now, I'm not going to turn to a 50 year old set, but to wikipedia. It's a useful thing to have.

As for wikimapia, it's unfortunate about the article...but one has to give props to the guy who outlined the city, that must have took work! It's cool how they've labeled all the different neighborhoods.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems accurate to me.

Whats the problem?

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikimapia is not related to Wikipedia, I don't think. Anyone can edit it; it has no actual "editors."

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, too. It is not an authoritative source. Period. Take a look at Wikipedia's entry for Detroit's Old City Hall. It says it was torn down to make way for Campus Martius Park. Ha. Whatever.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikipedia sucks.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that statement for Wikipedia on City Hall no longer exists. Thanks for the tip off Rhymes.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still has errors:
"The former Detroit City Hall was located at what is now Campus Martius Park in downtown Detroit,"

Well, it was Campus Martius Park then, too. It was located at what is now the One Kennedy Square building.

"It was built by Alexander Chapoton of one of the city's oldest French families. The Queen Anne style Alexander Chapoton House (c. 1870) still stands at 511 Beubien."

I spent months researching Old City Hall, and it would be grossly exaggerating to say Chapoton built Old City Hall. Chapoton was a builder, but the architect of City Hall was James Anderson. The contract for the building went to N. Osborn & Co. of Rochester, N.Y. So maybe Chapoton worked on the project, but he certainly wasn't responsible. And it certainly doesn't deserve mentioning that his house is still standing if all he did was hammer in some nails. Also, the street is Beaubien, not Beubien.

"The building's former location is along Cadillac Square."

No, the building's former location is along Campus Martius. Cadillac Square is on the opposite side of Woodward.

Perhaps you could reference my site on the Old City Hall entry: :-)

http://www.buildingsofdetroit. com/places/cityhall

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, I'll leave the rest. I'm not that good at editing that place. I'll leave that to someone else. Thanks though.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dan.

Comerica Park sucks.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3849
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick wasn't even mayor when Comerica Park opened.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But 321Brian! Comerica Park has a FERRIS WHEEL! How much more baseball can you get?! SURELY that outweighs any history that may have happened at The Corner. And let's not forget about all that revival Comerica Park brought to the area. Why, we tore down the YMCA, Hotel Wolverine, Madison-Lenox and, let's see, we got uh, well, Cheli's. Oh! And that "lovely" little ever-changing bar in the Broderick Tower. And, uh...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And, uh...

Parking. Lots of parking. Right smack on the main drag into downtown, just where it belongs.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswith: Ever hear about how the statues atop old city hall were found a few years ago in piece behind Fort Wayne?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly.

Comerica Park is great for walking around a concourse but not much else.

The seats are miles away from the field.

You can't see over the person in front of you because they aren't staggered properly.

The field dimensions are an abortion and the left field wall is a joke. Tiger Stadium's field dimensions were perfect. Right field overhang, 440 (really like 420) straight away, almost no foul territory so the seats were practically on the field.

Walking to Comerica is depressing where as walking to Tiger Stadium was an adventure.

The strange thing is the parking lots around Comerica and Ford Field are totally opposite for the two sports.

On football Sundays the parking lots are perfect. Plenty of room for throwing the ball around and grilling but on baseball nights they suck.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3622
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys are forgetting why we needed that new baseball stadium. SKYBOXES! SKYBOXES! We needed SKYBOXES! You can't have a baseball field anymore without SKYBOXES! SKYBOXES! SKYBOXES!

Jesus, it made me so sick to talk to people when they were debating the new stadium. Everybody sounded like they were totally preprogrammed, sorta like in that Idiocracy movie.

"But Brawndo has electrolytes!"

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On football Sundays the parking lots are perfect. Plenty of room for throwing the ball around and grilling but on baseball nights they suck."

You mean on every day of the year EXCEPT home football games they suck. Great for Ilitch and the suburbanites who come down only for football, bad for those who live here and those who come downtown more often.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.