Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Sugar Hill Developments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like there's still good news amidst a sea of crap...

Although, they're only plans.

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/sugarhill18209.aspx

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a "Rapper's Delight."

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is amazing! I will love to have this in my neighborhood! This will connect in well with the Midtown Loop that they are constructing this year.

Hans57

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a bit of faith for the building under renovation, there have been people working on it every day for about 3 weeks. Whether people will live there or not is the question.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the name Sugar Hill come from? I don't recall ever hearing it in Detroit before. Is it a new name or is it an old name being resurrected? How will its relative newness impact perceptions about its authenticity?

Hans57

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I agree with your doubts about the effectiveness of its name. Where did it come from? Why is there this trend of naming places after other places or making up names? It's Just Garfield to me...

Anyone have any insight on this name?

(Message edited by hans57 on March 10, 2009)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of new development, sounds good

btw, anyone know what the occupancy percentage of the new studio one lofts just across on woodward is?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where did the name Sugar Hill come from?"

Perhaps, as I said, they wanted to build a "Rapper's Delight." :-)

http://tinyurl.com/ab42bc

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sugar Hill is the traditional name for the most exclusive and expensive part of Harlem in NYC. It was famous throughout black America as the place where the country's wealthiest and most famous African-Americans lived. There are many incredibly beautiful townhouses and apartments there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ugar_Hill,_Manhattan

I would assume that they are using the name here due to that association, and the fact that the area in question - or really the area that's now under the Medical Center just east of there - was once the best residential part of Paradise Valley (you can still see a few of the fine homes along the south side of Mack).

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a personal historical note, I was conceived just to the south of there, as my parents lived on E. Willis during the '50s. They bought a house and moved further over on the east side before I was born, although I was born in the old Women's (Hutzel) Hospital that stood very nearby.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That project will soon die before our econony recovers. Any more empty promises developers?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or how about the occupancy rates of the mid-med lofts offices?

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 10, 2009)

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seemed, in the article, that the majority of this was coming from tax breaks - such as brownfields. It may work out

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4254
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This actually sounds quite promising, though, I too would prefer developers use existing, if even forgotten, names for developments as opposed to borrowing from other cities.

Anyway, it sounds like this will be practically free for the developers, so it's very likely to get done. The tough part will be selling and leasing it out, but its developments like these that the city needs and that's working with and around the existing urban fabric.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sugar Hill name is native to Detroit as well as NYC, and dates to the 1940's and 1950's. And I have seen the name brought up in research for school as well, but I never really paid attention to its location.

"N’Namdi coined the “creative corridor” phrase. He has a major role in the redevelopment of the Sugar Hill Historic District, which includes his East Forest Art Project. His project involves remodeling and renovating his two buildings on Forest Avenue, one which has been his art gallery. The Sugar Hill redevelopment includes new and refurbished housing on Garfield, a new 45,000-square-foot Arts League of Michigan center and a sculpture garden. Sugar Hill is half a block from Woodward in Detroit’s Midtown. In the 1940s and 1950s, it was a hub of social activity for African-Americans. "

http://www.detroitmakeithere.c om/article/200707131652/SUB/70 713026

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me that it came later than NYC's Sugar Hill, so it's most likely not native to the area, especially if the Detroit name only originated in the 40's.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess I was just trying to point out the name having a history here as well.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my previous post, I was objective in questioning the name. Now I will be subjective - it sucks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.