Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Henry Clay Hotel/Milner « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever hear of the Henry Clay Hotel? I hadn't until I was scanning some old Detroit tourism pamphlets and saw it listed as one of "Detroit's leading hotels." Turns out it survives today as the Milner. Seems odd to name a hotel in Detroit after a Kentucky statesman.
Here's another that stumped me "Hotel Martha Washington, Phone Cherry 2009, 214 Erskine St." Google Maps shows a large building on the site.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3625
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Across the street from Patterson Terrace? Nothing there now, according to the livemaps aerial.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3626
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, a lot of those "hotels" in the Brush Park area used to be grand manses that were built back on their lots.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, my mistake Detroitnerd. I confused the Patterson for what could have been the Martha W. Wrong side of the street. Thanks for the catch. Off to look for photos of it.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an old photo somewhere. Let me see ...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Patterson Terrace in 2004, before the fire damaged it a few years ago.

A very old shot of the same building in 1943. May be the hotel in the right of the shot.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: The Martha Washington Hotel. A number of hotels by that name were opened as women's hotels. There was a very large one like that in NYC that still stands, although it's been renamed.

Of course, a lot of hotels in that neighborhood, many of which were repurposed mansion, eventually became primarily African-American hotels during the bad old days of segregation in accommodations as the area's population changed. The famous/infamous Gotham Hotel was right up the street.

From Google streetview it appears that something is being built on that corner (John R & Erskine). Any idea what it is?

Eastsideal

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That 1943 riot photo is scary if you know the historical context of what's going on there.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al: No idea what they're building there, but if earth-moving equipment was caught by LiveSearch (you can see a double-semi), they really must be a-working at it.

Yeah, that 1943 photo is more than a little disturbing. Police were out all along John R, turning the crowds back. I have other photos; one is of a particularly tired detective with a bullhorn, trying to turn back the (predominantly) young whites up to no good.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, where'd you get that photo from? Virtual Motor City? Burton? I'm impressed you were able to ID Patterson like that. Doesn't seem like a building you could search for.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, just a coincidence that I've been watching that building for years. It's reminiscent of the Charles on Second, but it's had a much rougher time over on John R. That corner used to be famous for drugs and hookers. Amazing it's still there.

The photo from 2004 is from my personal collection. The 1943 photo is in one of the print files for the 1943 race riot at Burton, Main Branch, DPL.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 960
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brush park village north is what's being/been constructed there.

http://www.hipcitydetroit.com/

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip city? I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad. Gonna be hard to sell hipsters, or anyone else, on $300,000 townhouses right about now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.