Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Responsible gun owners of the week » Archive through March 08, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200990302025

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3602
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just keepin' it real, yo.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 710
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, then there's the 100,000,000 or so of us who haven't shot anyone.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I don't go to Lapeer County. At least when you get shot in Detroit the hospital isn't 25 miles away. :-)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny the thread title isn't "responsible car owners of the week," given that this is an alleged "road rage" incident.

Betcha that's the last time this guy brings a car to a gun fight..

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the two fools who were shooting it out on I-94 early this week. After a 911 call from another motorist, police arrested them when they got out to Macomb County.

(Message edited by Bobl on March 05, 2009)

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but I keep hearing from gunhuggers that "an armed society is a polite society"...
(or perhaps if the other motorists on I-94 had been trained gun owners...
oh never mind.)

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A criminal is a criminal..if this guy hadn't been carrying his (likely illegal) gun, you'd be reading a story of how he ran the other fella off the road and beat him with a baseball bat instead.
Lawful gun owners don't need to be splashed with this loser's shit. When some pile of human feces kills someone else in a hit and run, do you paint all car owners with the "evil" brush?

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: "Yea, then there's the 100,000,000 or so of us who haven't shot anyone."

- Yet.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually doug, the follow-up story

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090304/NEWS04/903040382/1006/ NEWS04/Rage+on+I-94+nets+3+arr ests+in+Macomb+County+

says not only were both drivers carrying guns, both guns were legal, and both owners have CCW's.

open wide "lawful gun owners" and enjoy a mouthful of this guy's shit. you are judged by the company you keep. great choice!

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to see you feel that way, Zimm..

Your wrong, but if it makes you feel better, more power to you.

This person is not a "lawful gun owner" any more than a hit & run driver whose paperwork is up to date is a "lawful" driver.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see. when you lose, don't admit you lost. just change the rules of the game so that you win.

you should run for city clowncil...

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 801
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't realize we were playing for points, Zimmy..did you think you were gonna get a fuggin' kewpie doll or something for your big "win?"

What is "lawful" about the way this man behaved with a gun?
I stated that his gun was likely illegal..the fact that it proved not to be doesn't change the fact that the man himself broke the law.

I own several guns, all legally..I treat 'em with respect and obey the laws.
Don't class me & mine with idiots like your posterboy. The logic is flawed.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you mean like the flawed logic of the endlessly parroted "an armed society is a polite society" statement?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said that an armed society was "polite."
Stat's have proven that it's a more law-abiding one, though. If by "polite" you mean "less likely to be mugged, raped, carjacked, etc.." then yeah, I'd say it's "polite."
:-)

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Zrx_doug 100% on this one. The anti-gun/anti-2nd amendment people's logic here is SEVERELY flawed. Zrx_doug already pointed out why, and there is no denying that he is correct and the anti-gun/anti-2nd amendment people here are absolutely wrong.

That said, this road rage guy is obviously a fucking idiot and deserves severe punishment. And if you anti-gun/anti-2nd amendment people here think this guy represents the 100,000,000 gun owners in America, then you're extremely prejudiced and ignorant.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I never said that an armed society was "polite."

Doug, those were your words last week, verbatim:

quote:

An armed society is a polite society.

Here's the link: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/178367.html?1235720861

From the UPI on 4-26-08:
States with high rates of gun ownership have the highest firearm death rates, an analysis by a U.S. non-profit group found.

The Violence Policy Center in Washington used data from 2005 -- the most recent available -- from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The five states with the highest per capita gun death rates -- Louisiana, Alaska, Montana, Tennessee and Alabama -- had a per capita gun death rate far exceeding the national per capita gun death rate of 10.32 per 100,000...

Conversely, states with the lowest levels of gun ownership had the lowest levels of gun death rates.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News /2008/04/26/Gun_ownership_corr elates_to_gun_deaths/UPI-65011 209186884/

Sounds polite to me.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busted is what you see..

Good catch, DL..didn't recall I'd stooped to sloganeering last week.
Take a look at any society outside of America in which gun ownership is encouraged, and get back to me on those stats.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'll have my research assistant [me] check out those stats and get back to you.

Alan55

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_Doug: "I own several guns, all legally..I treat 'em with respect and obey the laws."

Until the day comes along, when you don't, like the formerly "lawful gun owner" subject of the Freep article. Then you magically, instantly switch from being a "lawful gun owner" to the evil, criminal, law-breaking subject of one of these threads.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really insinuating that all gun owners will some day "magically switch" and become evil criminals? How about people who own large kitchen knives? Will they all "magically switch" and become evil knife-wielding slashers? Maybe all people who own hammers will "magically switch" some day and start smashing peoples' heads in.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A. Great story. Very entertaining.
B. Anybody who wants to take away lawful gun ownership rights should be shot. That would be a great story too.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They should be shot"?

What an awful thing to say. Are you volunteering to be the one to do it?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he didn't say they had to be shot to death..maybe we can just wing 'em?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 906
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Louisiana had the highest rate of gun death, 19.04 per 100,000 and has household gun ownership of 45.6 percent. Alaska had a gun death rate 17.49 per 100,000 and household gun ownership of 60.6 percent. Montana had a gun death rate of 17.22 per 100,000 and 61.4 percent gun ownership.

downtown_lady, the information "revealed" in that report is certainly hand-picked, isn't it? i also thought it was interesting that two states having a 33% higher household gun ownership rate than louisiana - have a nearly 10% lower gun death rate! in that respect, the data they highlight can be used to contradict their own study.

anyway, in order to draw valid conclusions, ownership rates and death rates of all 50 states should be presented; these data are not made available. also 7 of the worst states are in the south/southwest; this region also rates poorly with the number of police officers feloniously injured or killed in the line of duty. so, covariance (in this case, geographical) is not ruled out in the data either.

however, the conclusion is somewhat comical in that it could be inferred by the premise. it reminds me of the study stating that most auto accidents happen within 15 miles of one's home. well, of course - wouldn't they happen where one does most of his or her driving?

Alan55

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another citizen exercising his right to ownand bear arms:

"Ill. State Police: 1 Killed in Church Shooting"

By JIM SUHR, Associated Press Writer – 23 mins ago

MARYVILLE, Ill. – A gunman walked down the aisle of a church during a Sunday service and killed the pastor, then stabbed himself and slashed two other people as parishioners wrestled him to the ground, authorities said.

The man walked into the sprawling brick First Baptist Church in Maryville shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke with The Rev. Fred Winters before pulling out a .45-caliber handgun and shooting Winters once in the chest, said Illinois State Police Master Trooper Ralph Timmins.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/chu rch_shooting

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a question. Would the complete ban on the private ownership of firearms have the same positive results as prohibition did on the evils of alcohol ? Regardless of where you stand on this issue, people only obey the laws they choose to. Prohibition failed because people found ways around it and you can't legislate morality. You can try, but so far not much success with alcohol, drugs or other activities that are harmful to society.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 773
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just a question. Would the complete ban on the private ownership of firearms have the same positive results as prohibition did on the evils of alcohol ?"

Yes, I believe it would have exactly the same disasterous results. We are FAR BEYOND the "lets ban guns completely" stage. There are WAY TOO many guns now circulating to even begin to attack the problem by trying to ban them. Regulating the hell out of them, and making it a royal pain to acquire them would certainly do more at this point than trying to ban them outright. Then, of course there is that nasty 2nd Amendment that has to be considered as well, especially with the Supreme Court we currently have.

Or we could follow Chris Rock's advice and make each bullet cost $5000?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 916
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought this was about responsible gun owners? i guess the millions of folks who own guns and exercise good judgment handling, storing, and using (or not using) them really aren't going to get a mention on this thread. this topic is more about people who have a good deal of fear regarding guns, and/or their being owned by the common citizenry - or owned at all.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Regulating the hell out of them, and making it a royal pain to acquire them would certainly do more at this point than trying to ban them outright."

Of course it would, but any hinting that there is a problem with guns/ammo being too cheap and too obtainable brings out the
indignant gun huggers shrieking about bans, as if that were the only thing being proposed.