Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » New Bookies Opens Tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though it kills me to see the Book Tower dark, at least Bookies didn't close up for good. They have a sweet 3 story place at Cass and Columbia (kind of behind Centaur). They'll also have a full menu of food that's more and better than the coney island stuff they used to have. The rooftop deck is as big as there entire previous location and will be kick ass in the summer. Needless to say, I'm excited!

The best part though is Trivia Night on Tuesdays which of course they will have tonight! Woo hoo!

Buckster1986
Username: Buckster1986

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it seems like everybuilding around it is being torn down. I guess more parking for them to use. That is if Ilitch lets them.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmm...wonder what's on the menu?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Food....probably drinks too.

Food & Beverage-atcha!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3608
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Loyal Order of Moose Building in jepardy?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's their new number? Old one is disconnected. Web site is not updated.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too bad it seems like everybuilding around it is being torn down."

Everything around it IS torn down. I liked and patronized the previous Bookies location. It was right off the people mover and not too far off the general walking path. This new place, although sounding like a cool building, is in urban no-mans-land. It's no longer in a foot traffic area, which means it needs to gain all of its business from people specifically patronizing it, and not your Average Joe walking by (which was how I had my first trip to Bookies). I really hope this place survives, but it's going to be a rough go at it until if and when the new Hockey Stadium is built there. Now that they have moved and are having a grand opening, you think they would update their web site and myspace site???

Corner of Cass and Columbia

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= d&source=s_d&saddr=42.336893,- 83.055514&daddr=&hl=en&geocode =&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18& sll=42.336306,-83.05486&sspn=0 .002899,0.006952&ie=UTF8&t=h&l l=42.336889,-83.054827&spn=0.0 02899,0.006952&z=18

Harmonie

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,
The menu will be kind of like gourmet comfort food, like sliders.

Melody,

They have a new website that they're about to put up www.bookiesbar.com, but they'll be sending out press releases too. If you want some more info now shoot me an email.

Raptor,
With the other bars, theaters and stadiums close by I think they'll get enough business.
This is just doors open tonight. They will have a grand opening in a week or so once they get the bugs worked out.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of parking across the street now that Ilitch has razed the Chin Tiki. In fact, there's nothing BUT parking around it.

Raptor56

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have bars and stadiums "near" by, however you have to walk through two blocks of empty space to get from those bars and stadiums to Bookies. I might make a run of it at night, you might take a stroll at night, but I can think of a many more folks who see vast empty parking lots with nothing around them and immediately say "too dangerous. Next bar." I like what I have heard about the design and layout of the new Bookies, and will probably hit it up, per usual, on my annual birthday bar crawl next month. I just question the location for attracting patrons and sustaining a viable business.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can think of a many more folks who see vast empty parking lots with nothing around them and immediately say "too dangerous."

And I can think of a billionaire pizza-turned-parking-lot tycoon who sees vast empty parking lots with nothing around them and immediately says, "Cha-ching."

Melody

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent an e-mail to the web master of the old page. I don't have your e-mail -- you can e-mail me at mbaetens@detnews.com -- please!

Melody

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More details on the new Bookie's

http://www.detnews.com/melodyb log

I'm impressed!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long before we have broken windows in the Book Building?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 827
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already starting to happen and worse at the Book building.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am guess they are starting to trash the inside. How long before we have painting on the windows ala UA Building?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Bookies isn't much more or less secluded than Harry's. And for those who like to drive, there is plenty of parking nearby. ;)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just took a tour of the new Bookies. very nice, but too new.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8668
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if it ain't at 870 W. McNichols, it ain't bookies

Raptor56

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... anybody make it over there during business hours yet, and have a report for us??

Raptor56

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Melody's article: "During lunch time and happy hour, Bookie's will also provide a free round trip shuttle to those who work in the downtown area."

Now that is a novel idea to help with their out of the way ness.

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think the new owners much care what's going on over at the Book tower.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see the rebirth of the old C.C. Bar as Bookie's. It sounds like a great new place.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, I wonder how many of the newbies understand the subtleness of your comment?

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sooooooo, how was it?

Harmonie

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was awesome! There were over 100 people there I would say. Pretty good for not even knowing they would be open until 4pm yesterday! Lots of downtown business owners and old Bookies regulars. Trivia was always a big draw and it looks like it will continue to be. My team won so our tab was paid for... so I might be a little biased:-) The food is awesome though!

Definitely stop by and check it out.

Melody

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if it ain't at 870 W. McNichols, it ain't bookies"

I was waiting for that comment, hee hee. When I'm 40 or 50 and someone opens a sports bar in Rochester called the Gold Dollar, I'll just smile.

Raptor56

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are times that I wish I was in my 20's during the late 70's/early 80's to experience Bookies club 870, the Grande Ballroom, Cinderella Ballroom, and Harpos when it was scary cool and not just scary.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could have been around to check out the Willis Show Bar or Anderson's Gardens...

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok finally something i have relative expertise on lol... anyway I live at trolley/washington sq and used to go to bookies when in town all the time... my major issue with it is that now it's across grand circus park and i hate to get loaded over there and then have to walk over late... used to be the chief appeal of that place outside of its excellent service and stuff (though I'm only learning tonight they had a food menu? Never when I was there!)... anyway I just hate to walk from Cass and Columbia back to the safe confines of Grand River and Washginton after tying one on... I'm sure I'll visit the New Bookies once Tigers start and I'm in town but I'm so disappointed they couldn't find an empty spot on OUR side of GCP

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""if it ain't at 870 W. McNichols, it ain't bookies"

I was waiting for that comment, hee hee. When I'm 40 or 50 and someone opens a sports bar in Rochester called the Gold Dollar, I'll just smile."

Hey now! Some of us 40-50's also hung out and played at the Gold Dollar! :-)

Melody

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey now! Some of us 40-50's also hung out and played at the Gold Dollar!"

Of course, most Gold Dollar alumns are older than I am. I'm saying that people that remember Bookie's 870 have to be over 35. :-)

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking and glass; happning industries in the D.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned CC's? As in Chris and Carl's? Is that the space that Bookies moved to? I remember work on an old building on Cass a few years ago that seemed to be the old Chris and Carl's. It's hard to tell what is what anymore. So much has been demolished it's difficult establishing reference points.

Raptor56

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC's was complete torn down sans 2 walls last year (leave 2 walls and it's renovation and not new structure = no new property assesment and less BS from city). What is now Bookies is the result of those renovations

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap, so your saying that Bookies occupies what is left of the old Chris and Carl's, correct?

Raptor56

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's what I'm saying. check out the photos of the "renovation"

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2009/01/thorn-in-ilitchs-si de.html

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive- chris and carls was next door to the new bookies

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they still have the pic of Sammy the Gorilla.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.