Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Join me at the Council meeting to demand their resignations « Previous Next »
Archive through March 11, 2009Warriorfan30 03-11-09  9:56 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wish the feds would come in a take care of those charges on MonCon (emphasis on Con), and this there would be one less fool.

In another recent thread, someone wrote about how much of this foolishness with the council seems to have stemmed from an unforeseen power-vacuum created after Ken Cockerel was promoted to interim mayor. I can't help but wonder what would happen if Monica is suddenly pulled from her seat. I can't imagine it would be any worse, but who would step up? Kenyatta or Cockerel? Or would it be someone like Watson or Collins? Would Reeves ever speak again without Conyers telling her what to say?

(Edited for spelling)

(Message edited by andyguard73 on March 11, 2009)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnne Watson is the current council President Pro-Temp..if Monnie resigns, goes to Sing-Sing, whatever, Ms. Watson will replace her as prez.

I think that calling for their resignations would be a mistake..I'm for it, but the race-baiters would see it as swatting a fly with a baseball bat, and it'd likely rally the fools who support these idgits.
I think a public expression of disgust with their behavior of late..an admonishment, I guess..would go over well, and not be seen as "the man" overstepping his bounds.

Frankly, what I think will happen if we show up in chambers is that Mon-Con will screw each of us out of our two minutes of fame, and twist it to her advantage.
How about a protest in front of the building, instead?
That'd be something all you suburbanites can participate in as well.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been a white citizen (I was red one summer) of Detroit for 33 years and I'm tired of my tax dollars going to police the Jay Leno concert we're not going to have when the theoretical police at this non-event don't look like me.

Any new business? Because I'm about to break into song.

Seriously, the only member of council I'd consider reelecting is Kwame. I don't know how you could possibly embarrass or rationalize with this group. This whole thing seems to be about power and self righteousness. They're not going to surrender now.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess if you really want a say and a vote as a DETROIT born individual all you have to do is buy a house in the city and live here, word on the street is you can do that for $100.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ENDURO I am with you... even though I'm a recent citizen (though I've lived here before) of only 3 years I'm pretty infuriated, and am currently working for Kwame's campaign. What we really need to do is make people understand what needs to happen in this city... and also, as I've stated before, we need to convince the THINKING, recently registered DETROITERS to VOTE... with the low voter turnout we have, we might have a chance to make a change... making overtures at meetings might cause controversy, but that's about it... bottom line is, we just need to vote, and a vote for KWAME is a vote for CHANGE. KWAME could become council president, and that could be the most positive move in Detroit City Council history in the past 20 years!!!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to break it to you, but Kenyatta is also a little bit less than friendly, to put it lightly, to people that don't look like him. It's crazy because Monica may use racial ideology for political gain, but Kenyatta actually believes the shit as a philosophy.

Seriously, Kenyatta supports a Cobo transition and everyone forgets his enter past, where he came from, why he was elected, and the bloc of people in the city he'd most beholden to. It's like living in the Twilight Zone.

The hyperbole, misplaced trust, and ignorance of council members is mind-blowing, to me. On what side, you've got a largely imcompetent council, many members of which are not fit to serve, but on the other side you've got a rag-tag oppositions that doesn't even seem to know the first thing about the history of any individual council member.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 12, 2009)

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, i need to (need to!) hear where you're coming from on this, because I though K Kenyatta was a good guy to stand behind... god, to think there's no good candidate to support...

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually agree with Sheila's comments. She seems like the most level headed.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_doug, I know who would take over as president. My question wasn't who would be in a leadership position. I was asking who would lead.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah..same as always Andy. The fool with the biggest mouth.

LMich..yeah, Kenyatta is a hard-line supporter of separatism..but he seems able to set aside weird-assed personal beliefs when they interfere with the city's best interests.
This at least puts him in the position of being one of the lesser of nine evils..

Andyguard73

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, I take it that you don't hold much hope for the saner voices to rise above the racket? :-)

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever seen Joann Watson smile at a white person? I watch the Council pretty regularly and
I find her form of racism more insulting than Conyers. Conyers is just plain crazy, Watson seems to have a working brain, however, she is snide to anyone appearing at the hearings who isn't black. She makes those cute little smile eyes at all the black people, especially the senior citizens, but let a white person try to express a view, her tone of voice and expressions are just insulting. I dread that she could become president.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I hate to break it to you, but Kenyatta is also a little bit less than friendly, to put it lightly, to people that don't look like him.<<

He's always been very polite and courteous to me. I've never felt the anti-white "vibe" coming from him. I'm one of the palest faces around.

>>Has anyone ever seen Joann Watson smile at a white person?<<

Yes, at me. She also hugged me. That was how I found out her hair wasn't "real". Not sure why she hugged me, but she did. Freaked me out.

Monica Conyers has been quite rude to me. I've never really said anything to her. Mind you, this was before she became "Queen of the Council". Before it was dirty looks and snarls at me. Now, I'm sure she'd be even more disgusting.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MoCo, Watson and BRC are all racist people.

Mr. Kenyatta dispite he past, seems to vote for the city's best interest and IMO should be re-elected.

Sheila Cockral and Brenda Jones also seem to be quality candidates who should be re-elected.

As for the rest, throw the POS's out of office!

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you're there, please tell Councilwoman Reeves that Auburn Hills is not 1.5 hours from any part of Detroit.

From the Detroit News:
In the conversation, Reeves said Leno told her he believed Auburn Hills was about 25 minutes outside the city.

"I told him that was wrong. It's an hour and a half drive from my home," the City Councilwoman and former Motown recording star said. "I told him to take no offense, but Auburn Hills is not Detroit."

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an hour and a half from her home. 25 minutes travel time, the rest spent trying to find the freeway.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LMich..yeah, Kenyatta is a hard-line supporter of separatism..but he seems able to set aside weird-assed personal beliefs when they interfere with the city's best interests.
This at least puts him in the position of being one of the lesser of nine evils..

I'm just saying that it looks quite hypocrital to drag Monica through the coals for using race to divide and conquer, and then latch on to someone like Kenyatta who is a real honest-to-goodness seperatist, simply for voting for a regionalize Cobo and ousting the mayor. I'm getting a feeling, then, that it's not even the racism that matters at all. Obviously, if people can be heralding Kenyatta for council president as "the most positive move in Detroit City Council history in the past 20 years!!!" it would seem to me that race isn't the issue at all, because it seems that Kenyatta can be as racist as he wants to be...as long as he votes the way you approve of.

I'm really want be able to side with the majority of those for the Cobo deal, but when I hear folks on this side of things running around talking about who should resign and than championing Kwame fckin' Kenyatta of all people as a voice of reason, I have to question how serious some of you are and how much some of you actually know about the council.

I look at the fiasco that is city council and shake my head, but then I turn to their oppposition and see them flailing around and grabbing at whatever they can and I begin to see why the metro is so f%cked up. It almost ceases to matter if the oppposition is one the right side of any given issue, because if they are, they are on that side purely out of consequence or by mistake.

I'm frustrated because a good half the council needs to go, but I look at the opposition, and much of it is in no shape to be demanding much of anything, because they don't even know what they want or the smartest way to go about getting it.

I can't take anyone seriously who describes someone struck back in the 60's as "the most positive move in Detroit City Council history in the past 20 years!!!" or calls him "change". I'm not down with, at all, and can hardly call anyone that believes that as an "ally".

This seems to be a problem with a metro, as a whole: accepting second best. And, in this case, Kenyatta isn't even second best or the lesser of two evils. Detroit deserves better than both Conyers and Kenyatta, period. One uses 60's tactics and ideology for her own gain, and the other one actually believes in them. Change?! Give me a break.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 12, 2009)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can use today's episode of let it rip to get martha to resign. This is making my skin crawl!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 801
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we could get the EPA to remove them for their negative carbon imprint for all their hot air.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I plan on saying tomorrow at the Council Meeting.

Feel free to let me know what I should change:

Recently, the city council has made some questionable actions and remarks, both of which I am embarrassed of. The Cobo hall deal that was signed by all 5 parties was not that bad of a deal. Detroit has a massive deficit and has not been able to pay for the proper maintenance of the building; it’s been a liability and not an asset for some time now. Detroit cannot afford to have 100% ownership of the building any longer, we need the money to be put towards more important issues, such as public safety and picking up the garbage. Although the Cobo Deal that was agreed upon may not be the best deal possible, it’s the best deal that’s on the table as of right now. I’ve heard from multiple parties, including the Governor of Michigan that there is no money in the stimulus that can be used to renovate Cobo Hall. The stimulus money goes through pre-existing formulas; it cannot be used any way we please. I’m not happy with the fiasco this council has made of the matter and I’d like you to drop the lawsuit that you are pursuing.

Secondly, I’m fed up with the antics coming from this council. The racist comments are immature and outrageous, the singing during meetings is baffling and thanks to you all, Detroit has once again become the laughing stock of the city. Unless things change on this council and you start putting the city first and not yourselves, then no one on this council will receive a vote from me.

One last thing, Martha Reeves; forget about Leno and start worrying about making the streets of Detroit safer and raising the quality of life for the people you work for.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck tomorrow is all I can say...I neither live in the city nor go to school there, so much of my credibilty is gone...but good luck!

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are basically stating facts and arguments that both sides already know. I would try to personalize it, say who you are, why you love Detroit, and how the political situation has affected your love and outlook for the city. I would avoid using the word "racist" and try a better way to describe the us vs. them politics and how it is really making life worse in the city.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by "Detroit has once again become the laughing stock of the city"

i think that you either meant "Detroit City Council has once again..."

or "Detroit has once again become the laughing stock of the region/state/nation"

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can we out-of-town, native Detroiters help? Is there someone we can e-mail?

<313>

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This won't end badly.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread makes my head hurt.

To state it politely, you should skip the meeting and join up with a grassroots organization.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else going? If so, can you get some video and post to youtube? I want to see the hilarity ensue. Thanks.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You can watch the council meetings on their website.

Try referring to Monica Conyers as Mrs. John Conyers. If you don't accomplish anything else at least you'll piss her off.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I'll pop some popcorn.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Laughing stock of the city" should be changed to "Laughing stock of the nation"

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12, are you still doing this today or what. How have you prepared?

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I an still doing this today, don't worry.

I think the meetings are about 2 - 3 hours long, so around 12 or 1 they will show the public comments on t.v.

Updated version:

Hello,

I’m David Morrison, a resident of Detroit and a student at Wayne State. Recently, the city council has made some questionable actions and remarks, both of which I am embarrassed of. The Cobo hall deal that was signed by all 5 parties was not that bad of a deal. Detroit has a massive deficit and has not been able to pay for the proper maintenance of the building; it’s been a liability and not an asset for some time now. Detroit cannot afford to have 100% ownership of the building any longer; we need the money to be put towards more important issues, such as public safety and picking up the garbage. Let’s face it, there isn’t 300 dollars in the stimulus package for us to use for Cobo expansion. Plus, without the Authority, how will we continue to raise money in the future? The stimulus money goes through pre-existing formulas; it cannot be used any way we please. The entire region is now pitted against us and upset because of the petty things this council is doing. Enough is enough, it has got to stop. I’m not happy with the fiasco this council has made of the matter and I’d like you to drop the lawsuit that you are pursuing.

Secondly, I’m fed up with the antics coming from this council. The Us Vs. Them comments are immature and outrageous, the singing during meetings is baffling and thanks to you all, Detroit City Council has once again become the laughing stock of the city. Unless things change on this council and you start putting the city first and not yourselves, then no one on this council will receive a vote from me.

One last thing, Martha Reeves; forget about Leno and start worrying about making the streets of Detroit safer and raising the quality of life for the people you work for.

(Message edited by dcmorrison12 on March 17, 2009)

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just had public comment first thing. Did you get there too late?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUDE! Where were you?
They are into meeting business now, you missed the public comment timeslot!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was late, and so was the BRAVE ONE, DcMorrison12. He did not make it in time for the public comment. I commend the young man for attending the meeting and intending to convey his discontent FACE to FACE with the council people, though.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. - CITY COUNCIL EVENING
COMMUNITY MEETING – CENTRAL AREA
Metropolitan Baptist Church
13110 Fourteenth St. (one block south of Davison)

(Message edited by stosh on March 17, 2009)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys didn't make it on time? I DEMAND your resignation! :-)

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

count me in

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5127
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be more productive to get involved in electing a candidate you like instead of making demands that won't be listened to?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9642
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zA1hyqA6UTY

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it did end in tears... of laughter.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about taking up a collection and flying this guy in for a city council meeting? The problem with Detroit city council meetings is that all the nuts are on the other side of the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =I7aGQbkiFSg&feature=related

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zA1hyqA6UTY

He's kind of like a white male version of Sharon McPhail.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.