Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Jay Leno Announces Free Show at The Palace » Archive through March 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and he announced that he will be holding a free show at The Palace of Auburn Hills on April 7th. The car enthusiast mentioned it is a small gesture for the tough economic times that everyone, particularly the auto industry, is facing.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight _Show_with_Jay_Leno/exclusives /as_seen_on_the_show.shtml

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His guests will include the 3 stooges...
Corker, Shelby, and McConnell

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay is a truly class act.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, though, It'd have been great if he could do a night of his late-night show from Detroit, which is what I originally thought when I saw his show, last night. Detroit needs those kind of national bully pulpits at the moment.

*Wait, I'm still confused. Is he doing his late-night show from Detroit, or he doing his regular working comedy act?

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 10, 2009)

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He got the Place to donate the venue for the evening. Got Pepsi to donate his air fare I would suppose and probably a few bucks to cover "his costs" and they write off the whole bill to our generous tax advantage here in Michigan.

He did say it was a win-win for everyone, being that he will donate tickets for the show (but isn't his audience free anyway?) to those who show up including parking.

This from the very man who kicks Detroit every chance he gets on a daily basis?

Sounds like he is here for some penance and I for one wouldn't waste my time seeing "The Chin" even if it was for free. No absolution for you Jay.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich, I believe he is doing his regular stand-up act and not the Tonight Show. From the website..."The comedian will appear in Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills on April 7, 2009 for a night of free entertainment with Detroit's unemployed workers; the NBA's Detroit Pistons will donate their home court to house the event.

Refreshments will be provided and parking will be free.

Tickets will be available at the Palace of Auburn Hills box office beginning at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 16. To obtain tickets, participants must provide their photo ID at The Palace of Auburn Hills box office; limit of four tickets per person."

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Palace still gonna bang us $10 a car to park?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4147
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free parking.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a NBC Studios truck from Burbank in town yesterday. Anyone know if it was related to this?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Free parking.

Yeah, but do we have to pay to park?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must have a rerun on that night. April 7th is on a Tuesday night. Interesting.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This from the very man who kicks Detroit every chance he gets on a daily basis?

Sounds like he is here for some penance and I for one wouldn't waste my time seeing "The Chin" even if it was for free. No absolution for you Jay.

I'm sure Leno won't miss you.

The guy owns a warehouse full of classic cars and shops at John King Books. That probably gives him more Detroit cachet than some people who post on this site...

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6045
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was also one of the few who said that the government needed to bail out the Big Three, that we can't do without an auto industry, and need them for defense

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detective Tony Costas returns to the scene of the crime.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leno cares deeply for Detroit and the Big 3 and is not shy about telling people about it. He is a true class act.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plenty of nice venues in Detroit he could have signed up for.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^and people just want to rip him a new asshole.
SAD.

Jcole

Post Number: 6046
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are plenty of nice venues in Detroit he could have signed up for

He's on a short schedule and probably had to get whatever space was available.
It needs to hold a lot of people
It needed to be donated space. Perhaps other venues didn't want to donate?
Why does it have to be IN the city? It's for the unemployed auto workers. There are closed auto plants all over the area, not just in the city.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ How many of them seat 22,000 plus?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6212
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a symbolic gesture, yes it would have been nice to hold this in Detroit.

But there's a lot of auto workers outside of Detroit, including Flint. So Auburn Hills is not that bad of a choice.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of reading about when Bill Cosby came to Detroit and did a free show for Chrysler employees during the company's rough period in the early 1980s

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3769
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are plenty of nice venues in Detroit he could have signed up for."

And there are plenty of nice venues in the suburbs he could have signed up for, one of which he picked. What's your point?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speak of the devil...

Detroit council: Leno's show should be in city

DETROIT -- Jay Leno's comic relief gesture is coming under scrutiny by the Detroit City Council.

One day after the NBC comedian announced a free April 7 show at The Palace of Auburn Hills for the unemployed, Councilwoman Martha Reeves questioned why it's in the suburbs, rather than Ford Field.

Council President Monica Conyers designated Reeves, a singer and entertainer herself, as the point person to lobby Leno to move the show to within city limits.

The show is part of "Jay's Comedy Stimulus Plan." Tickets will be available at the Palace box office beginning at 10 a.m. Monday.

To secure tickets, participants must provide photo ID at the box office. There's a limit of four tickets per person.

Leno, a renowned car buff, called Metro Detroit "one of my favorite places." He didn't distinguish between the city and the suburbs.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090310/ENT10 /903100433

Jcole

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the crazy council has appointed Martha Reeves as a liaison to the Leno show to try to get them to have it at Ford Field. I wonder if they checked with the Fords as to whether they are willing to have it there for free, and can they get free parking from the city lots. I really doubt that they did any homework on this and they will more than likely just descend on Leno's people like a cloud of locust demanding they not be 'disrespected'.

Jcole

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You beat me Stosh.

Stosh

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 minutes. LOL

Jcole

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to get my link to work while you were posting. Oh, well, we got the same info out.
I can't imagine what Leno's people will think when Martha calls and starts shreiking at them for 'disrespecting' the council by making arrangements without including them in the process. It should add some good material for Jay to use at the Palace though

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Now Mrs Crazy Conyers is complaining that he is not going to do it in the city. Me thinks he does not want to go anywhere near that bat-crazy woman. She is absolutely toxic to Detroit and Michigan.

Stosh

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or commentary on his TV show too. Imagine what he can make of this mess if they start making noises about dissing them?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay Leno is launching a tour of free shows entitled "Jay's Comedy Stimulus Plan" just a few months before he's set to begin a new 10:00 PM talk show on NBC. You think part of this tour is to help promote the new show? I don't think that's a bad thing, I mean he is doing free shows which is cool. But since Jay Leno's audience skews older and suburban, the Palace makes sense as a venue.

Living in Detroit has its challenges and like most Detroit residents, I'm resigned to accepting those challenges because there are also benefits. What I can't accept is a government more interested in star-fucking than improving the city's quality of life.