Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Dave Bing falsified his credentials? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 11, 2009Crawford30 03-11-09  12:49 pm
Archive through March 11, 2009Crawford30 03-11-09  4:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 838
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't a perfect world..but it isn't 1950, either. Stop living in the past with Barbara Rose Collins and accept the opportunities available in the now..

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were sitting on a jury and someone was being sued in relation to falsifying an undergraduate degree I would say no!

But to falsify a graduate degree, by someone who actually attained an undergraduate degree, I would hang him/her!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 627
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 will interview Dave at 5:00p.m.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reflects poorly on Dave Bing. Unless you are sitting in his bell jar, it's impossible to spin this any other way. That's the reality. But, this talk about it being quasi-criminal is silly. He didn't defraud anyone out of anything with these lies.

It's a small thing that should be taken in the context of Bing's overall record. My two biggest issues with Bing remain. 1. Charlie Beckham, his campaign manager is a convicted felon. 2. His business has received over 150 unsafe workplace infractions in the last 8 years.

If your campaign narrative is "talented businessman and an agent of change" then your business had better be well run and your team of advisors shouldn't include political dreck like Charlie Beckham.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syracuse says:
Syracuse spokesman Kevin Morrow said Bing, who went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Detroit Pistons, wasn't awarded an undergraduate degree in economics until 1995, AFTER HE COMPLETED ADDITIONAL COURSES. (Sorry, don't know how to bold)

Bing says:
"After four years, 62' to 66', I was ready to graduate … and I had ONE INCOMPLETE COURSE BECAUSE I HAD NOT TURNED IN PAPER," Bing told Local 4 during an interview. "I was told that if I turned in the paper I was graduating with my class. I turned the paper in."

What a pitiful liar. Just come clean. This reminds me of Kwame and the dress in the school play.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were Bing's pol I would spin the MBA snafu as "I meant to say my doctorate from Kettering" then go on to play up his other awards. The message would be "I have so many honors it is easy to mix them up".

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I were Bing's pol I would spin the MBA snafu as "I meant to say my doctorate from Kettering" then go on to play up his other awards. The message would be "I have so many honors it is easy to mix them up".

Really? You think Dave Bing should try to fix this mess by saying something else that probably isn't true? I would hope that maybe he would try to tell the truth instead of trying to spin out this with what amounts to more bullshit.

Part of the problem with metro Detroit is our collective willingness to buy fairy tales.

I would gain a lot of respect for Dave Bing if he came out and said something like "I said some things about my education that weren't true. I can't offer you a great explanation for why I did it and it was a mistake. I'm sorry and I'm not going to insult you intelligence with a fluff-and-folded excuse."

More important, it could be a bold and fresh departure from the Detroit method of public relations, ie spin, buster, and lie some more.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it gets even better:

(from Freep)
On Tuesday, spokesman Cliff Russell said Bing did not participate in graduation ceremonies. But Bing said today he dressed in a cap and gown and “went across the stage with everyone else.”

So, he walked across the stage - and they didn't even call his name? He basically crashed?

What's glaringly obvious in all of this is that he's not even a GOOD liar. He and his rep can't even get THEIR stories straight. I hope they work on it tonight and get back with us tomorrow, lolol.

Bing grew angry when the Free Press asked today if he would release a copy of his college transcript.

“I think you’re trying to dig into something that isn’t a story,” he said.

So that transparency he was crying for only applies to KC. Okay, I get it now.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4264
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't give a rat's ass whether he has a degree, or what degree, or from where. What bothers me is that Mr. Bing, who is by all accounts fairly intelligent, is so politically inastute that he would lie, publicly and flagrantly, about a fact which can be easily verified.

That's my take on it, too. It's plain and simple hubris. It was such a totally unnecessary lie. And, the explanation just adds insult to injury. American voters have an uncanny ability to forgive indiscretions, but obfuscatory BS is much harder to tolerated.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My conspiracy theory--

Bing's own group released this information. Had it come out after the special election (and he had won), he would have been forced to resign. And he wouldn't have run for the full term in November.

Since it came out now, he can give his mea culpas and still run for mayor in the special and/or regular election.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It could absolutely be a felony in some jurisdictions.

There's a young lady who was recently sentenced to a number of years in CT prison from her fradulent matriculation at Yale.

Source?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's three felony cases just from Yale. There are many other felony cases from other schools:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/a rticles/view/24340

Lying about credentials is serious business. It can be a felony, and, if you materially benefit from the lie, is equivalent to big-time theft.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the bit about the paper makes sense now. It was back in '66 when he thought the paper was all he needed to turn in. Somehow, it took him decades to find out that it wasn't, and then he took the additional course(s) necessary to get his degree.

He has a problem putting together a comprehensive story. That's going to be a problem for a politician.

I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He could have stayed out of the spotlight and kept his squeaky clean (I guess?) persona. In this day of cynicism, he should have known everything about him would be scrutinized.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor Frank must be devastated

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was back in '66 when he thought the paper was all he needed to turn in. "

LOL, sure. There was some mysterious paper back in '66 that would have magically allowed him to graduate, despite being short a number of classes.

And he never wondered why he was never mailed a diploma or sent any alumni information??

The fraud Bing needs to return to Bloomfield or wherever he lives, and just do his thing getting rich off his basketball legacy. No sense in trying to make a troubled city even worse.

Locke09

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you Crawford. I'm just trying to figure out the timeline on this. Every time I think I have it the story changes. His PR team sure isn't doing a good job laying out a story that at least makes sense and doesn't change from article to article.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On Tuesday, spokesman Cliff Russell said Bing did not participate in graduation ceremonies. But Bing said today he dressed in a cap and gown and “went across the stage with everyone else.”

So, he walked across the stage - and they didn't even call his name? He basically crashed?

Depending on the number of courses he was short you can still take part in the graduation ceremonies, you just don't receive your diploma.

quote:

And he never wondered why he was never mailed a diploma or sent any alumni information??

You don't have to graduate to be consider alumni. You just have to be a former student.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUZZ -sj-
The word 'alumni' or 'alumnae' for the Latin purists is specifically used to refer to a graduate, not a matriculant of an educational institution. If you have left the institution before completing the formal requirments for graduation, you're not an Alumni.

I can see Bing getting confused and thinking his Honorary degree was some sort of legitimate degree, but to not realize that his Bachelor's degree wasn't finished despite claims to the contrary smacks of sophistry at its' finest.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can see Bing getting confused and thinking his Honorary degree was some sort of legitimate degree,

Bestowed without taking a single class? Sorry, if he is that "confused", he is not qualified to be mayor.

Locke09

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

It seems to be a consensus that he fulfilled 99% of his degree requirements. He just missed one paper or one class or something to that effect.

The biggest concern now is that I have to wonder if he is being intentionally dishonest, or if he really was/is confused. Either option is problematic for me, since he wants to be mayor.

I'd like to be confident that the next mayor will be honest and will also be able to evaluate complex proposals. "Honest, but confused" is not going to help the City either.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about dishonest and confused? That seems most likely.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are fucked, until the next real election. This Cockrel or Bing fiasco is no good.
Bing's impotent attempt at explaining this, er, discrepancy is annoying. Obviously, he arrived at the point at which so many other politicians & public figures have arrived, the point where one has been caught bullshitting and the situation forces a choice: look like a liar, or look like a damned fool.
In this case, Bing chose to look like a damned fool: Huh!! I thought I graduated, and got a diploma and stuff!! Say what, now?
Unfortunately for him, public perception works against that ploy; because he is generally perceived as being a fairly bright man, his claim of a decades-long case of benign unawareness just doesn't fly, so by choosing the "damned fool" route, he winds up looking like a liar, anyway.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who have degrees KNOW full well that they have them. It does not wash, even 40 odd years later, that you can be mis-understood about your status. Unless you are senile.

Ravine

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But!! We are to believe that the senility set in when he was still a young man.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw Pam, lots of 'Honorary' degree holders seem to think that's equal to actually having earned the damn thing! So some of the 'Doctors' of Education you see wandering around, never earned a PhD in Education, they just assume that their 'Honorary' Doctorate allows them to style themselves and be addressed as 'Doctor'

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

poor Frank must be devastated

No, it takes a lot more than being proven wrong on 1 point to devastate me. It happens. You learn from it.

I mean, when I first met Ken Cockrel, I used to think that he had potential to be a decent mayor. I was proven wrong there, too.

I got over it. I moved on from it. Detroit needs to learn from it and move on as well.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The word 'alumni' or 'alumnae' for the Latin purists is specifically used to refer to a graduate, not a matriculant of an educational institution. If you have left the institution before completing the formal requirments for graduation, you're not an Alumni.

Just one use of the plural Alumni, it is not limited to graduates of educational institutions.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5110
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam,

It seems to be a consensus that he fulfilled 99% of his degree requirements. He just missed one paper or one class or something to that effect.

I was referring to the MBA he said he had but does not. Now they are claiming he confused his honorary degree with a real one.

quote:

Naw Pam, lots of 'Honorary' degree holders seem to think that's equal to actually having earned the damn thing! So some of the 'Doctors' of Education you see wandering around, never earned a PhD in Education, they just assume that their 'Honorary' Doctorate allows them to style themselves and be addressed as 'Doctor'

If they decide to run for mayor, I'm sure they will also be scrutinized.

(Message edited by Pam on March 12, 2009)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Naw Pam, lots of 'Honorary' degree holders seem to think that's equal to actually having earned the damn thing! So some of the 'Doctors' of Education you see wandering around, never earned a PhD in Education, they just assume that their 'Honorary' Doctorate allows them to style themselves and be addressed as 'Doctor'"

Exactly. I'm ABD in education at Michigan, and I'm offended. :-) And I can't even imagine what my friends around the corner in the Michigan MBA program think of Bing's "white lie". This school darn near KILLS us before they hand over their terminal degrees. As a precandidate, I thought the school was overrated, but now that I'm nearing the end, I honestly know that I could do just about anything in my field, and do it well partly because of paying my dues in the field, and in the Wolverine Boot Camp.

You find this a lot with Doctors of Theology, too... those men and women of the cloth who worked hard and sacrificed to have the degree are rightly annoyed by this too.

Personally, I'm against honorary degrees. I wish universities would figure another way to honor people they like. What's wrong with a good old fashioned award?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody in academia sees any correspondence whatever between a real doctorate and an honorary one. If you aren't famous, you get an honorary doctorate by contributing a huge sum of money to a University, and not having too many skeletons in the closet.

Why are we arguing over the definition of alumnus? Let's ask Merriam Webster.

"alumnus: (1) a person who has attended or who has graduated from a particular school, college, or university."

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm ABD in Education at Eastern Michigan University (Ed.D.). Some people take the "honorary degree" status a bit too far and I'm saying that based on what I'm going through to get my EARNED ONE.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious why the moderators allow BlackSoulX to continue his racist rants?

Would I be allowed to remain on this board if I painted all black people as lazy, criminal thugs? Because that's what this idiot does: Paints all white people as closet racists.

I've been tempted to test that theory, and post a few rants complaining about how all black people are dope-dealing welfare queens, just to see if the hypocrisy is as bad as it seems.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an email today from Freman Hendrix announcing a rally to stop the cobo hall deal. he says he'll be there.

Looks to me like he's still in the game!

Locke09

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duke_sims,

There is a big difference between the baiting that BSX does and what you just did, in my opinion. I don't recall BSX actually calling names (although feel free to correct me by showing examples), other than referring to "basic white people" which I think is indeed inappropriate, but borderline. In fact, he reminds me of L Brooks Patterson who is careful not to cross the line but comes very close to it.

What you just typed on the other hand... I'm sure you will say it was just to make a point, but I don't think I could type that even to make a point. Something about it sounded like it might be something you've been thinking anyway. I think you just used BSX as an excuse to say what you've wanted to say all along. That's what I think.

I have purposely ignored all posts on this forum that were nothing but juvenile name-calling. Those would be posts like the ones calling Detroiters stupid, idiots and the like. Those kinds of posts abound and BSX's posts don't come close to being as insulting as they are - in my opinion.

If you wanted to make an intelligent point you could have said, "Would I be allowed to remain on this board if I used ugly stereotypes about black people like he does about white people?" But you were very specific and I think that those stereotypes are what you wanted to say anyway.

Now back to ignoring the silly name-calling.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, the little white lie comment was perfect.
I have to agree with you, Bing has been successfull his entire life. He would be a great leader for Detroit.

Ravine

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, I am here to "support" a member with whose posts I seldom agree.
Blksoul_x makes comments which are very challenging-- yes, thank you, I AM a master of euphemisms-- but totally straightforward and honest.
This city could take a few steps toward getting over its racial problems if a few more people would just come out and say what the fuck they really feel. There are no "codes" employed in Bs_x's commentaries.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.