Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Velvet Peanut Butter is back! » Archive through March 04, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just go to customer service and tell them. Cashier doesn't care. Most are too young to remember the brand.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm set, I got my jar of Velvet, I was just trying to be helpful for the next folks who come in and don't find it. I was in a hurry, no time for finding customer service. This was an older cashier too.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, was it in the endcap with the others in the deli room?

When should I stop by your place for a sandwich?

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to get some last Friday at the Hiller's in Plymouth and the shelves were wiped clean. The lady at the service desk told me it goes pretty fast, and that the Northville Store had a bunch. I subsequently went there and bought 4 jars. I hope some other (closer) grocery stores will begin to stock Velvet.

How long have they been putting sugar in peanut butter? My dad used to make it and I don't recall him adding sugar.

I have one of those tumblers Velvet used to come in, next to my collection of Michigan dairy milk bottles and a Burger Chef coffee mug. I'm glad to see the stuff back in stores.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://velvetpeanutbutter.com/ home/?p=216&cpage=1#comment-10

Clamor for more!

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had it.

Pffft

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastdetroit,

Yeah the lone jar of Velvet was on the end of an aisle with the rest of the peanut butter, in the "deli room."

An operative is going to check out the Bloomfield Township Hiller's, I didn't even know about that one.

Velvet_pb
Username: Velvet_pb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to take this opportunity to say thanks for your interest and support of Velvet Peanut Butter. We have been working for several years to bring Velvet back and we are overwhelmed by the fantastic response. Hiller’s should have more Velvet Peanut Butter on their shelves next week. In about three week s Velvet will be available in Westborn Market stores and Oakridge Market stores. We are working hard to establish distribution in every Michigan grocery store. We are a very small company and appreciate the kind words and well wishes. Please check out our web-site at www.velvetpeanutbutter.com and please feel free to contact me at my personal email address eric.bruce@velvetpeanutbutter. com. Again, thank you for your interest in Velvet. It is people like all of you who will help us bring back this beloved Michigan brand.

Sincerely,
Eric Bruce
President, Velvet Peanut Butter Company, LLC

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's coming to Oakridge???? Please, if you can, post the date when it will be available - there's an Oakridge just a couple of miles away from me, I will be there that morning!!! Thanks for taking the time to update us.

LOL @ Pffft and the "operative".

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please let us know when "crunchy" is available, as i am not a fan of the smooth stuff, however velvety it may be.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH man, I can't wait to get some! Yum! Brings back memories!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, this is great! Can't wait to find some. I have pix of my son eating out of a Velvet jar in 1973, so I bet he will love some too.

Now I want Krunchee Potato Chips back, with that Do Not Eat dessicant packet in the bag.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we get New Era barbecue chips back too? :-) Seems like our snack foods back then were less processed and less damaging!

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 761
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can we get New Era barbecue chips back too? "

I second that!!!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned Krunchee because I think they were made by the same people as Velvet Peanut Butter. When you toured the factory, you got a little bag of Krunchee chips to take home. New Era chips were good, too, and they came in that cool can.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Velvet Peanut Butter jars were hard to open, sealed almost like a Mason canning jar. Take a butter knife and tap the lid about its edges, and then give it a squeeze. This is also how we learned to open Coke and Pepsi bottles. Towne Clubs were really hard to open unless you used a "bottle opener".

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son figured out how to open the Velvet jars when he was about three. He stuck a fork under the edge of the lid and when it went 'Pfff', he could open it. No surprise, today he's an engineer.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search for New Era chips yesterday and I see everyone mentioning the can, but I don't remember the can. I only remember them in the little red bags, same logo though. Was the can before the bags, or was that for bigger sizes?

I thought I saw Krunchee chips in the store, unless it was some other company with a similar name, I think it was a dollar store. It could have been Kruncheez or something else but I'm thinking it was a snack bag....

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as Velvet brings the crunchy variety back, I'm a customer.

Pffft

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think we've established yet if Velvet has crunchy too -- does anyone know?
That was also my favorite, but let me tell you, the creamy trumps any of the national brands.

*Enjoying a Velvet p-butter sammitch at an undisclosed location...

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to buy some, but this Downriver-ite is not traveling to the other side of the world for a jar of peanut butter, no matter how nostalgic or delicious! I guess I'll just have to wait until it finds me. I'll keep my eyes open!

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone take the plant tour when you were a cub scout?(Pack 275-how the hell would I remember that childhood trivia after only 55 years!) Still can't get Faygo Rock & Rye in the
Dallas markets although we can get Vernors. Guess I'll have to order Rock & Rye online.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did back in the 50s, but I was not a Cub Scout. I think it was a class tour, second or third grade, Hubert School in Brightmoor.

I mostly remember the Krunchee Potato Chip part, with people standing over vats of hot oil, hand slicing potatoes into the oil. We got a little bag of chips and a small sample jar of Velvet. That's my memory and I'm sticking to it.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on March 04, 2009)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better Made chips ROCK!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craving a Velvet Peanut Butter sandwich, with a bag of Better Made potato chips, and a Faygo Red Pop.
Sanders sundae for dessert.
Stroh's beer to soothe the sugar rush....

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez....
I guess "warm" "chocolate" would have been politically correct.
Censorship sucks!

resubmitted the second entry, which was also censored

(Message edited by Bobl on March 04, 2009)

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe it! I've been wanting some Velvet for years!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrissy_snow -

quote:

I did a search for New Era chips yesterday and I see everyone mentioning the can, but I don't remember the can.

Not to thread jack, but this is for you Chrissy.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Al Kaline have to do with New Era chips?:-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just caught that, Ed.