Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Dave Bing falsified his credentials? » Archive through March 11, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/article/20090 311/NEWS01/903110308/Bing+made +false+claims+on+college+degre es

Bing made false claims on college degrees

What next? I never liked this guy, and the longer he stays in the race, the more his true colors show.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could be huge, because now he will be seen as just another lying politician, it will be interesting to hear Dave Bing when he is interviewed about this.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen lots of people do this.

However, to go in at Cockrel - and then NOT debate him until discloses his financials - and then we come to find out this? Double standard, for sure.

Pot calling Kettle black. I was very neutral about this election - and frankly, I don't care that he didn't get his degree till 1995 (that's an inspiring story in itself that he stuck to it). What I care about is that he lied about it and then also the MBA on top of it.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think, like most liars, he's lied about it so long he forgot he was lying. He probably really truly believed it was exactly as he said it was. That's the problem with liars, especially those who do it so frequently. So when he decided to run for Mayor, it completely eluded him that he had this skeleton in his closet.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see...40 plus years as a successful business man, key board member of several business institutions, job provider, professional athlete, Hall of Famer, and Father....not to mention, growing up in a racially charge battlefield called amerikkka' as a Black man.....

versus...telling a 'white-lie' about the over-glorified steps and procedures that lead to a so-called professional degree?

Methinks I can look the other way about the little 'white-lie'!

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for!

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Methinks I can look the other way about the little 'white-lie'!"

And this is one of the reasons that Detroit continues to struggle - too many people willing to "look the other way", regardless of whether the lie is white or any other color

sanity_atcha!

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX, there's a big part of me that agrees with you.

He's very accomplished... the bitch about these things is nobody cares, so many people do it, and then shun you for getting caught.

It's like the assholes who come to Detroit to buy their blow then bitch about the drug problem and crime. They ARE part of the problem.

My main beef is that it's disingenuous to not debate someone because they haven't disclosed their financials when they themselves have other things they don't want disclosed. But that's political theatre for you.

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing admitted to us that what he said about his education was wrong--but says it shouldn't matter in the election.

http://www.wwj.com/Bing-Degree -No-Slam-Dunk/3999235

Ferntruth

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He's very accomplished... the bitch about these things is nobody cares, so many people do it, and then shun you for getting caught"

Why shouldn't the voters know the truth and then make that decision (whether they care about it or not)for themselves? Because you may not be concerned about this, doesn't mean that others aren't.

(I agree that this may not be the #1 issue facing the city, but whats wrong with expecting that people running for office be truthful about their credentials?)

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It SHOULD come out, Fern. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many people he's fired from Bing Steel for lying about THEIR credentials? When my husband hired in, they ran every check on him except DNA. During those 30 years he was without his degree - how many jobs did he get on the basis of having it?

Yes, people do it all the time, and they are usually fired. I got my degree late in life so I've definitely been there, but I never lied about it because I was too afraid of being caught. My work experience was usually enough to get me by, but I also had to pass up a lot of opportunities because I couldn't muster up the strength to lie about my credentials.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm just calling out the hypocrisy."

By comparing it to drug users?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If as Bing describes the situation is true then this is a non-story.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could really hurt the guy,, especially if the Cockrel campaign, wants to make an issue out it. Personally I like both, anything is an improvement over the slime we have had lately. Not too long ago it was about Cockrel not paying his taxes, nowtBing about lying about education,, Im sure more is too come. As long as Moncon doesnt come flying in as a write in, I feel either could be decent long term mayors.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Personally I like both, anything is an improvement over the slime we have had lately."

Amen!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how many jobs did he get on the basis of having it? "

None of them.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, according to Bing, Syracuse allowed him to turn in a paper 29 years later? And then they gave him a degree? Or was it just an honorary degree (which he seems to be saying according to that WWJ article)?

I'm not so concerned by the actual lie as I am about the deceitfulness. I'm also concerned when people tell what I call "unnecessary lies". Why couldn't his story always have been: "I did 99.9% of what I was supposed to do in four years. I let one slip prevent me from getting a diploma in my hands. But I went back later and corrected that." That wouldn't have hurt him in any way and would have been a much better story and lesson.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Methinks I can look the other way about the little 'white-lie'!"

And this is one of the reasons that Detroit continues to struggle - too many people willing to "look the other way", regardless of whether the lie is white or any other color

No, the reason why Detroit continues to struggle is that we set ridiculously low-standard for those who serve in political office and even then we don't hold them accountable.

BTW - in the time that it takes to write this thread and post this response, at least 2 Detroiters will call 9-1-1 with a police emergency and not get a response.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syracuse's enrollment should go up drastically today, because according to Bing, they have some pretty lax requirements for passing a class! If you miss turning in a paper, even a final, your grade is then computed based on what you DID turn in, whether that be a D, C, B, or whatever, and you either pass or fail, but the grades are turned in! Whoever heard of a school just leaving the books open for 30 years and letting you turn in that paper? Who graded the paper he turned in? Was the original teacher still there waiting on it? LOL

His excuse for the whole thing makes me question whether he ever even went to college at all, because that's just not how its done in any college I've ever heard of in the nation. Considering that most classes and curriculums have changed over the last 40 years, what are the odds that that exact same class was still available and not replaced by another more timely up to date topic? Did he use the same textbook?

Quite, honestly, that whole "one class short" lie is a common one that people tell when the truth is that they're usually a semester or year or more behind. If its truly one class, you would do it and get it over it. I've never heard of anyone being one paper short, lol, that's a new one.

Not only did Bing willfully lie about both degrees, he's still lying about the lies, and its not surprising that some people are so blind as to believe him now. These same people are the reason Detroit keeps getting stuck with the same old same old.

As Locke said, it would have been better to use this as an opportunity to teach and inspire by coming clean and highlighting how he didn't let his lack of degree keep him from striving and accomplishing, and how he took advantage of the great educational opportunities available to busy adults to finish what he started so long ago.

He and his stupid publicist missed out on a great opportunity to spin this. But Cliff Russell is an idiot anyway.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember many times when going over the requirements for my degree that I needed this credit or that credit. Or when I did finish that credit the time involved precluded another credit that I did earn but it wasn't in the appropriate "time frame" for consideration in the department. Also I had to retake many classes that I had already taken but was not transferred (transferable) into the discipline I was pursuing.

I attended college later in life, as an active duty serviceman, and not a single university or college gave me a break. Maybe instead of defending this country I should have been off playing basketball.

I might overlook the fact that Bing claims a degree from Syracuse and was "allowed" to turn in a paper and receive his. But what is irreprehensible is the fact that he claimed an MBA from GMI (General Motors Institute now Kettering.)

I work with Kettering alums all day and they work hard for their degree while putting in many days and months working for nothing as an intern. Kettering is one of the best engineering schools on the planet and I just can't excuse him for this one.

Kettering does not give an HONORARY DEGREE!

My .02 cents worth,
Dutch

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the head of the Detroit Zoo who lied about his degree? What was his name? He was able to keep his job.

Childhood lesson: don't lie. The truth always comes out.

First Bing's residency didn't matter (apparently Detroit voters didn't think it mattered, either).

Now his schooling doesn't matter? Wow....

Bonkers....

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Zoo Director, Ron Kagan, lied about having a doctoral degree in zoology on his resume to get the job.

The board of directors of the Detroit Zoo announced that its executive director, Ron Kagan, will keep his job after falsely listing on his résumé that he had a doctoral degree in zoology.

As part of the punishment, he will be docked a month’s pay — approximately $16,600.

wonder how many people were passed up for this opportunity?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. Good to remember, and would have been especially good for Mr Bing to remember when refusing to debate Cockrel until his financials are released.
They are both good candidates. Vote for the one you feel can most likely help the City.
Right now, I like Cockrel.
Neither can do anything if the "us" vs "them" and "you don't look like me" b.s. continues.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is reminiscent of the white lies Caribou Barbie made about her education history.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5390
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stuff like this is a direct result of the overemphasis on formal education instead of demonstrated experience and skills.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Purpleheart' stated...
quote:

Maybe instead of defending this country I should have been off playing basketball.

The reality is, you didn't have the proper skills to play on the college basketball or pro level basketball level. To be sure, if you did, your choice would have been clear!

Reversely speaking, other than some basic skills, it doesn't take much, if you are white, other than the 'norm' for people to join certain institution(s) of their choice.

There is a bit of hypocrisy, or 'hateration' in your sentiment__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First Bing's residency didn't matter (apparently Detroit voters didn't think it mattered, either).

Now his schooling doesn't matter? Wow....

Depends. Is the alternative to Bing still Ken Cockrel?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is always MonCon the write-in candidate who claims she has tons of support. There is another alternative, of course she makes Kwame look like a better option.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understood it as he turned in his degree paperwork, not a paper, to Syracuse in 1966 and his degree was issued but for some reason Syracuse did not list Bing as a graduate of the school. Sounding more like a clerical error on Syracuse than anything.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, sj, nice way to spin the article into new lies. Nothing in the article is remotely close to your claims.

Maybe he's really a Harvard PhD too, and they just forgot to mention this!

The fact is that Bing lied about his credentials for 30 years! This would get you fired at any job. It's the equivalent of stealing on the job.

All of his clients relied upon his claim that he had certain academic credentials. All of his business associations relied upon this claim.

This would be a felony and could get you many years in jail if you used it to apply for graduate school or student loans.

We just got rid of a liar and a criminal. Why would anyone be crazy enough to consider yet another liar and criminal?