Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through March 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth be told.....if it wasn't for Hoover a lot of us wouldn't know anything about Garwood, the Mansion or anything.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stnfrnt..I was off yesterday my wife and i were Downtown having some fun so..We Drove down Dickerson to Lennox out to the End and stood at the edge of the water looked to our right and Took in the Old Vibe of Garwood ...I took a few pics then went back to the Fisher Mansion and took a few more boy that place has gone down hill over the last few yearsI bet is is still nice inside but outside Yuck....I wonder what is was like When Garwood parties were going on and Parties at the Fisher at the same time but a Little Different Crowd...I filmed a TV Show with the Krishna's 1992 ish..The place was Amazing...There was this bedroom where Elvis stayed He autographed the wallpaper...

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Whaler if you need help posting those pics...send them my way...Hey Boys & Girls...I see the sibling rivalry is going strong...I'm baking cookies and painting the kitchen..it's raining

Whaler

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie ..I will..I left the damn cord at home will email you tomorrow..Tks..There was a vibe in the air yesterday

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler...tie your experience to the one some of the girls had in the ballroom the morning Gar Wood died and maybe Rickbeale has some new material for another song. Garwood album??

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Whaler- you should post the pictures you took the other day!

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be the Full Moon!

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, did the Krishna's move out of the Fisher Mansion or are they still there and not taking care of the place? Do they still have a restaurant there?

Whaler

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krishnas still there...they do catering (Weddings, Party )The resteraunt is not open..There were a few people walking arround ..They asked if i wanted to go inside..((I was a little pressed for time)They Chant 3 times a day in the Ballroom I am going to go back and see if i can get some shots inside...I remember when you walk in the Front door there is Marble and Pawabic Tile fountain with real Silver...I Guess when Lawrence Fisher had Parties Champagne would flow in the fountain Pretty Cool ehhhh..Old Guy it was the grounds that look not so Good... I Know we are just comming off winter here But...and the House and Roof needs Major repair...I will post some pics tomorrow or Thursday

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Stnfrnt,

Stnfrnt wrote:
Whaler...tie your experience to the one some of the girls had in the ballroom the morning Gar Wood died and maybe Rickbeale has some new material for another song. Garwood album??

There certainly is enough material for one cool album of songs, a sort of rock opera. Imagine a Garwood mansion album called "Return to Garwood", maybe with that spooky picture of the bridge on it. But there is no reason why I would have to do it alone. All the musician's out there could help and we could all do it over the internet. If you check out my website HarmonicaJam.com, it would sort of show you how we could collaborate on songs from a distance. You can collaborate in a simple way by sharing mp3 files over the internet, using the web pages at HarmonicaJam.com . Now, my site is designed for harmonica playing, but we could start there, and then (if there is interest) I could create a special site for just Garwood collaboration. People who are not "officially" musicians, can write lyrics or song ideas.

With that said, I can't throw myself into song writing mode right now too deeply because I have a bunch of more mundane things I have to do, so for me this would be a multi-year project, not a multi-month project that would be done by June. But you never know, if some of you other musicians wanted to bounce ideas around, there is no telling what might happen before June. Just as a for instance, I could create a bulletin board where the musicians could create lists of song ideas. Throw up lyrics that took you 5 minutes to write. It might spark something in someone else.

Now, I'll admit to something. If I could write about anything I wanted to right now, I'd love to write a song about Stnfrnt, Mr. Larry M. My impression of Stnfrnt is that he is a deep, complex, driven, (stuff I don't know), guy. I don't even know if I'm capable of writing a song with the complexity and simplicity needed. And I certainly would not write it without knowing him, because I know I would get it wrong.

Margie could write the new song about "Hair", or write the lyrics.

I just thought I'd toss these ideas up to see if there was any interest.

(Message edited by rickbeall on March 10, 2009)

Old_guy

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the weather treating you today Bentspur? Looks a little nasty there on the weather map.

Rickbeall

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be like the denizens of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" writing the "Rocky Horror Picture Show". An album only has 12 songs. We would already have 2 songs thrown into the pile. And maybe those 2 songs could be recorded better (I'm a better song writer than a performer (in my estimation)).

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare you open a Space Ranger's helmet on an uncharted planet? My eyeballs could have been sucked out of their sockets!

Rickbeall

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just imagine if we could get Margie to tell us what hair really means.

She has a life time of staring at it, running it through her hands, clipping it, weaving it, molding it to mean something ... it's just a question of thinking or feeling it all at once.

But I'm probably just way to heavy handed in all this. My wife says I have no social skills.

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey OG Another snowy day. Heavy wet stuff. One thing about these March snows is it dosn't last long. But then we get into the mud season for a few weeks. Do you want me to send some of this your way or are you expecting it.

A album cover with the bridge would look nice.
Also found a site with pics of the Fisher mansion and all the rooms. It is viewed with powerpoint.www.detroitiskconlive.com/Fish er+Mansion+on+ppt.ppt This link opens into a file and it is safe to open, so don't worry. I opened it and scanned it with my virus protection and all is ok. Pretty cool pics of the inside of the house and a story. Check it out.

Bentspur

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any one want to play a game???? Every archive ends with 30 posts. I have tried to be the 30th poster so my name goes into the archive title. I have made it twice in a row. Thats the best I could do. Lets see who can make it on the archive list more than 3 times in a row. Old Guy is the only one who has made it 3 times so far..

Bentspur

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we become Krishnas. Take over the Fisher mansion and then turn back into ????? and party like it was 1971

(Message edited by Bentspur on March 10, 2009)

Old_guy

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, maybe I should go to Vegas.

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey does anyone remember a place called the farm out on hagerty rd and (I think) 8 mile rd? A band called the third power used to live there...there were some great party's there

Bentspur

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know about the Third Power is A frequency band whose cutoff frequencies have a ratio of 2 to the third power (about 1.25). the third octave band centered at 1000 Hz has a lower cutoff frequency of 891 Hz and a higher cutoff frequency of 1112 Hz. These are the frequencies at which the response of the filter has dropped to half, sometimes called the 3dB down points.

Old_guy

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fm.gif

I bet if we could obtain a half dozen of those houses across the street on Lenox, we could take em'. Use the same theory that Manny used. Party constantly until they're ready to sell out. I see they've even got a big, paved parking lot now. We could have used one of those. I've heard rumors that there's a solid marble fuse room with 11 doors.

Wow that guy that lived there when we were at the Garwood was a whacko. Nice guy, but a certifiable whacko.

Bentspur

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe thats why there were not to many complaints for the parties at the garwood. Maybe he came to the parties in disguise.
Hoover did you ever throw Fisher out???

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralphie..... , was he a Fisher?

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow ....bentspur.. I made 30 twice and I am not even that age yet.....

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey bspur are you like a rocket scientist or something? lol!

Old_guy

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph lived in the next house up the driveway on the island. The guy that lived in the Fisher Mansion, I can't ever remember his name. He wasn't a Fisher. Did work for the government, CIA, Army, etc.

Old_guy

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ja.gif

It really is confusing trying to remember all this stuff after all these years. I remembered without a doubt going up to the bowling alley in the attic of the Fisher Mansion when we were over there for drinks one night. Gash pointed out on this thread that it was in the basement. Turned out he was right.

I have this memory though, of Jefferson Avenue being a solid row of old buildings, bars, dive restaurants, etc. In this picture, Conners is the street on the far left. Am I thinking of a different street or something.

Bentspur

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No not a rocket scientist. Just hung out at the Garwood a lot. I think the acid helped. Saw a lot of numbers and mathamatical formulas when I did it. LMAO

Bentspur

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is post 30 for me

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good stuff OG......As I recall, you're pretty accurate...(Well accurate cause you're probably still not pretty)...There was a diner on Jefferson that Larry took me to when I came to the house. While we were eating the place gets robbed...We chase after the two guys...Larry Wrestles one to the ground, I chase one into the neighborhood until he ran between houses. I came to my senses and stopped....Larry's guy got away...We went back in to finish our dinner....The guy didn't say thanks, buy us a cup of coffee, nothin....gave us the bill,, that was it...Folks in the other booth couldn't believe it either....Welcome to Detroit....I loved it ever since.....Anyway...on up the road was The Cinderella....Sexy Sadie's was up there somewhere...and a few corner bars....Billy Landas played at a lot......Boy where the hell did those memories come from....Had to go way deep for that one.........GDGT