Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Welcome to South Carolina « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the reasons people told us we did not want to move to Detroit was the unemployment in Michigan. Just released today our unemployment is only 7/10 of a percent less than Michigan. And we got an idiot governor who does not want to accept stimulus money even though our unemployment fund is broke and medicaid is being cut to the bones. We might be better off up there.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are gonna figure out here pretty soon that the right-to-work stuff isn't gonna work... and then I hope things will change up here... and on top of that we have... ummm... culture, the arts, and a real place with a real history...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this thread has very little to do with Detroit and should have been posted on the Non-Detroit thread.

However, since it is here and I am here, I feel the need to comment on this comment:
quote:

they are gonna figure out here pretty soon that the right-to-work stuff isn't gonna work...and then I hope things will change up here... and on top of that we have... ummm... culture, the arts, and a real place with a real history...

Please tell me that your evidence for the success of the "union shop" stuff isn't Michigan?

And how's that "hopeychange" thing coming along with this new administration - still hoping and waiting for some evidence of real change? I heard that the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock had to change all their exhibits on the Clinton-era administration officials since it seems their Washington careers have all been resurrected.

And finally, in case you've forgotten, South Carolina, founded in 1663 and one of the 13 original colonies, is most assuredly a "real place with a real history".

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And how's that "hopeychange" thing coming along with this new administration - still hoping and waiting for some evidence of real change?"

How do those sour grapes taste, Mikeg?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do love it when their heads explode.

Bte_in_va
Username: Bte_in_va

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stimulus package = more heroin for heroin addicts

Mikeg

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferntruth and Oldredfordette, why is it that your comments tend to get personal without addressing the thread issue being discussed?

That stuff gets weak and tiresome and it is why this kind of thread belongs on the non-Detroit side of the forum.

In response to your childish jibes, there's no sour grapes or exploding head here, just a clear-eyed view of what our President is doing - not saying. I knew going into this election that the eventual Republican nominees wouldn't have a chance, but I was hoping that the Democrats would at least settle on a candidate with a little more executive-level experience.

So far, Obama has been acting more like an "Administrator-In-Chief" and so many of the campaign promises he made seem to have fallen by the wayside. So where's the change? We're just getting bigger budget deficits with more of those annoying earmarks that during the campaign Obama promised to veto. Now he says that future earmarks should "have a legitimate and worthy public purpose. Obama talks a good game but when it comes time to stand up and deliver, he seems to back away so as to avoid a confrontation.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still drinking the KoolAid, huh Fern?
Reality's gonna suck when it sets in..
:-)

Hey Rid..I'll swap places with ya..you can have my home in Detroit with all the potholes, miserable winters, road salt, & crazed city council members in exchange for whatever you've got..at least I'd be within spitting distance of some decent roads for motorcycling.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasn't Rid been talking about this move for like a year? I can honestly say I don't care what life is like in South Carolina. Charleston is a lovely town but I live in the north so I can avoid the cousin humpers living in the Hills of Zion. Sadly, they keep coming here and holding taxpayer rallies in Macomb County or get elected to Detroit City Council.

Frankly, I don't believe this "simple country folk looking to buy a cheap house in the big city" act. Like a lot of outstate people suddenly popping up of this chat board interested in moving here because of some great deal on a house, it all sound like bullshit. I think he's one of the out-of-state speculators Brian Dickerson talked about in his Sunday column. Rid's story is just a ruse to cull inside information on bargains.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090308/COL04/903080355/1085/D etroit+s+new+absentee+landlord s

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm, another thread hijacked by neocon/free market butthurt. Next, please!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"stimulus package = more heroin for heroin addicts"

Cool.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4548
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I knew going into this election that the eventual Republican nominees wouldn't have a chance, but I was hoping that the Democrats would at least settle on a candidate with a little more executive-level experience.

You mean someone with an MBA, who has previously run three companies and a baseball team? That kind of executive-level experience?

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617, I didn't know that Mark Sanford "does not want to accept stimulus money." From what I've been reading, he intends to go through the stimulus offers one by one and reject those that saddle SC with too much matching funds and little return. It doesn't matter anyway because Congress passed some sort of bill that would allow the federal government to bypass governors in it's desperation to get rid of borrowed Chinese money.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDC,
Whether you agreed with him or not, you have to admit that GWB understood that he was the "decider" and that he had the guts to make some unpopular decisions. President Obama can't even muster up enough courage to even make a symbolic attempt to follow through on his campaign pledge to cut "earmarks" to pre-1994 levels.

So far, President Obama's collegial style looks and sound great, but facilitating 3 hour break-out session and listening to group report-backs under the guise of a " "Fiscal Responsibility Summit" is not the kind of leadership style needed in the midst of "the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression".

Last month, President Obama warned that "if we don't move swiftly to put this [stimulus] plan in motion, our economic crisis could become a national catastrophe", yet barely two weeks after it is passed, he is declaring that the national crisis is "not as bad as we think".

Obama plays the fear-mongering game as well as any Republican who has been accused of doing the same, yet no one dares to mention it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I didn't know that Mark Sanford "does not want to accept stimulus money." From what I've been reading, he intends to go through the stimulus offers one by one and reject those that saddle SC with too much matching funds and little return.

Basically, Sanford would be allowed to reject $700 million of the stimulus funds intended for South Carolina. He wants permission from the federal government to use that money to pay off state debts; otherwise, he wishes to refuse it.

The part I don't understand, though, is that South Carolina receives something like $1.35 in federal money for every $1.00 it sends to DC. Yet, Sanford is opposed to accepting this "welfare" payment, when he's done nothing but cut taxes to the bone in South Carolina.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4279
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You mean someone with an MBA, who has previously run three companies and a baseball team? That kind of executive-level experience?

Zing! And, may I add "run three companies [into the ground]"?

Rid0617

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if I had known I would get this kind of reaction and it would have turned into an Obama-Bush debate I wouldn't have even posted it. Several people have not understood why I want to leave what they think is a dreamland to move back to Detroit. I posted it to show it isn't any better down here, the state is almost bankrupt, we have so many pothole claims the state will not reimburse you anymore and I could go on but I will address a few points.

Benfield said:
"Hasn't Rid been talking about this move for like a year? I can honestly say I don't care what life is like in South Carolina. Charleston is a lovely town but I live in the north so I can avoid the cousin humpers living in the Hills of Zion."

Yes we have been talking about it almost a year. I too do not want to live anymore in the right wing head quarters where religious extremist reign supreme. I do not want to live anymore where they are still fighting the civil war pissing and moaning about the loss of slavery to this day. I have a 16 year old daughter I want exposed to different thinking than that.

Benfield also said: "Frankly, I don't believe this "simple country folk looking to buy a cheap house in the big city" act. Like a lot of outstate people suddenly popping up of this chat board interested in moving here because of some great deal on a house, it all sound like bullshit. I think he's one of the out-of-state speculators Brian Dickerson talked about in his Sunday column. Rid's story is just a ruse to cull inside information on bargains."

If you don't believe it that's your problem and I'm not required to prove different to you. Why would I come to this forum to find real estate bargains when all I have to do which I do daily is go to realtor.com and type in the 48206 zip code? As for the speculator part, what a joke. I don't know of any speculators who live on disability and food stamps. Want my case number for proof? If I was a speculator I would have already been up there buying houses like crazy. Not taking my time and asking residents questions to make sure I don't make a major mistake with my family by moving and the national economy goes totally in the toilet. Would you make a cross country move at 56 years old without completely checking everything out and taking your time?

I posted this to also show something. Michigan cares more for its people because there are several assistance programs for the poor. Here there are none. No heating assistance, medicaid is almost non existent, etc. Maximum unemployment you can collect is $165 a week. We even have a governor who a few months ago refused to borrow from the feds to keep unemployment checks going. He finally gave in 2 days before the unemployment fund went broke. Now he is pulling this stunt with the stimulus. Difference between the 2 states? South Carolina is run by Rethuglicans, Michigan is run by democrats. And that is coming from an individual who voted Rethuglican for 30+ years. After the last 4 years of Bush, seeing how this state is run and being on the poor end of things I will never vote R on the ballot again.

Sorry to have apparently crapped in your wheatie bowl.

(Message edited by rid0617 on March 13, 2009)

Rid0617

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea Benfield, I don't live in Charleston. I live in Spartanburg which is deep hillbilly country. For someone who was raised in Detroit and spent most of his life in Atlanta being here does not work anymore.

Rid0617

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc wrote:
The part I don't understand, though, is that South Carolina receives something like $1.35 in federal money for every $1.00 it sends to DC. Yet, Sanford is opposed to accepting this "welfare" payment, when he's done nothing but cut taxes to the bone in South Carolina.

He's posturing for a Presidential run. He's on this kick about the feds going in debt to solve the crisis. Even though SC only puts in $1 for each $3 the feds give for Medicaid he cut it to the bone knocking thousands of people off of it. He is a rich investment banker with millionaire supporters in the low country (Charleston, etc). Even Republican legislators are fed up with him and his cold attitude to everyone except well off folks.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617, because the Feds are going to own you thru the contracts they sign for the "porkulus" money-which is technically yours anyway It's 21st Century Sharecropping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ook_County_Democratic_Organiza tion

Nickstone

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to apologize about the right to work comment... it may not work in its current form but I didn't mean it the way it came out... it may need restructuring but i no longer feel that way... i'm actually really ashamed I said it.

Rid0617

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nick it does have serious problems. Employees need some protection but I think that protection has been abused in the other direction too. Here an employer can dismiss an employee and does not even have to have a reason. They brag about the fact they can terminate you because the sun didn't come up on time if they desire. It is abused by employers and no one has any protection against an employer who happened to have a bad night with his wife.

It makes for extremely low wages. Average wage for a welder around here is $10-$12 an hour and the employer acts like they are paying you major money. Reason I happen to know this one for a fact, a friend has been looking for work past 7 months. This was the first thing he found. And that also includes no benefits.

We also unfortunately have the BMW plant in my town. Mostly temp workers making $9-$13 an hour.

Nickstone

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyway thank you for understanding how i might have been so angry the other night as to post that... I work in a business that I can be fired at any time for any (or no) reason at all and it bugs me when people have this sense of entitlement (sp?)... either way, I do think it's dangerous to destroy the unions and have people working for less than they're worth... that's my point in taking that comment back.

Rid0617

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never was upset with ya on this end. I'm here to get advice, learn things before I drive up there and hopefully make friends I will have and work with for many years.

Nickstone

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can't beat Detroit for personal connections... I've never been anywhere and met such great people, black white, whatever... can't beat a place where people look out for you and that's DETROIT all day long...

Rid0617

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if I can just figure out is this country headed closer to a depression or are we at the bottom I can make plans..........

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ferntruth and Oldredfordette, why is it that your comments tend to get personal without addressing the thread issue being discussed?"

"Still drinking the KoolAid, huh Fern? "

Ah, I see. The sour grapes are actually bitter. Just love watching you Connies spin.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shall I address South Carolina ? Okay....The most backward state in the Union, and that includes the country's worst food supply. Unless I had a condo on the ocean, I'd rather live anywhere else in the country, including here.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you can't beat Detroit for personal connections... I've never been anywhere and met such great people, black white, whatever... can't beat a place where people look out for you and that's DETROIT all day long...

But not at night, because the street lights don't work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.