Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Jack White's new building, band in Tenn. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a story about the former Detroiter's new band, The Dead Weather, it says White has opened a new HQ. Tell me how great it would be for Detroit to get something like this:

"... an opening party for White’s new Third Man Records headquarters in downtown Nashville. In addition to the label offices, the building features a vinyl record shop, photo studio and performance stage."

http://freep.com/article/20090 312/ENT04/90312018/Another+new +band+for+Jack+White++CD+due+i n+June

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always makes me sad that he left. I always thought that reviving that kind of localized small recording studio / label hq would be amazing (in the stylings of motown, stax, chess, sun) ...

I always loved the idea of being able to walk inside and get a chance to meet the owner / cut a track and make it big...

Doesn't exist today.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad all of the too cool for school "scenesters" showed enough hate for him to hit the road.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9596
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd that he is playing drums for that band. And singing. He's a regular Phil Collins. [ducks]

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A girl handles the vocals, and I believe Jack White played drums before in at least one pre-White Stripes band he was in.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9597
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thedeadweather.com/

Ah, right you are. She kinda sounds like Jack.

Wally

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guitar playing sort of sounds like Jack too.

Let's see.....

vocals - sound like Jack

guitar - sounds like Jack

drums - they are Jack

and bass - who gives a f*ck about bass? (just kidding)

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. :-)

Wally

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, the bass player's name is Jack also, so Jack's got it all covered. Jack the bass player needs to lose those dorky glasses already, those were "hip" for about 5 minutes 5 years ago.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9598
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's the guy from The Raconteurs and before that from The Greenhorns. The girl is from The Kills. But yeah, it all sounds like Jack to me. And the B-Side is a little better than the main track.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Jack the the Drummer in Goober and the Peas ?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Friends Electric? is a Gary Numan tune. Dead Weather don't improve on it but, at least, bring it to your attention. The Heaven tune reminds me of the Detroit Cobras.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A

(Message edited by dannyv on March 12, 2009)

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Goober and the Peas"

GREAT local band!

That BS between him and Diamond I think was the last straw. The local music scene is rifted with skimmers, con artists and just flat out assholes.

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack was only one of the drummers for Goober & The Peas, there were a dozen or so. Jack appeared on the second album "The Jet-Age Genius of..." as Jack 'Doc' Gillis. Jack teamed up with Dan 'Goober' Miller again in 2 Star Tabernacle.

(Message edited by YouDummy on March 12, 2009)

Dannyv

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a guy named Doyle, who worked at Repeat The Beat, playing drums for a Goober & the Peas performance in support of Screamin' Jay Hawkins at the Majestic. They played a Zep cover, Whole Lotta Love, for their final number.

Dannyv

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a guy named Doyle, who worked at Repeat the Beat, playing drums for a Goober & the Peas performance in support of Screamin' Jay Hawkins at the Majestic. For a closer, they did Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

Dannyv

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a guy named Doyle, who worked at Repeat the Beat, playing drums for a Goober & the Peas performance in support of Screamin' Jay Hawkins at the Majestic. For a closer, they did Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

Dannyv

Post Number: 606
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you get that?

Youdummy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A partial list of Docs:

Damian 'Doc' Lang
Hans 'Doc' Muer
Jimmy 'Doc' Faulkner
Albert 'Doc' Crim
Linzell 'Doc' Rice
Scott 'Doc' Susalla
Terry 'Doc' Bradley
Jack 'Doc' Gillis
Steve 'Doc' Wood
Dylan 'Doc' McCarty

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had completely forgotten about Goober and the Peas. Thanks for the refresh! Loved that band.

Dannyv

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, I don't see his name listed.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Average stuff --

Let's be honest, Jack hasn't done anything near groundbreaking or of value since he left Detroit. Think about it.

Word.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither has Motown.

Wally

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Average stuff --

I agree, although they sound better than the Raconteurs. I find the Raconteurs to be a bland mediocre pop-tart band.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9614
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best Rac song is the unreleased alternate version of Steady as She Goes. I think it may be a demo or some such, it is not bad. Also, Blue Veins is a decent bluesy-type song. Other than that, I think you may be right.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its too bad Jack doesn't release the 2 Star Tabernacle stuff, its great. All thats available is a single they did with Andre Williams.

Youdummy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to JP at motorcityrock,com, all the Goober & the Peas stuff is being reissued on CD.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.