Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Dave Bing falsified his credentials? » Archive through March 11, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5391
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your choices were Bing without a degree or MonCon or Kwame with law degrees (and the supporting undergrad degrees), which would you choose?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B_x: Your quote:

"...Reversely speaking, other than some basic skills, it doesn't take much, if you are white, other than the 'norm' for people to join certain institution(s) of their choice."

That, sir, is a bunch of bullshit.

Malcolm X has been quoted: “Without education, you are not going anywhere in this world.”

That applies today, regardless of race.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I would not vote if those were our only choices.

But those aren't our choices. We know Bing is a liar and potential felon. Cockrel seems to be a decent guy, and there are no claims of massive fraud/misrepresentation like with Bing.

Crawford

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And is Monica Conyers really a lawyer? She is not a member of the bar in MI. Did she ever pass the bar?

Are you a lawyer if you never pass the bar?

I'm pretty sure she went to DC School of Law, which is basically open admissions, and the worst law school in the country. That said, at least she isn't lying about her credentials.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look Mr. Blackhol it is a long standing argument between those on campus with athletic scholarships verses those who have to stand on their own two feet with merits in the classroom.

Athletes who are academic scholars are the exception to the norm not the other way around.

The point that I tried to make was that as an active duty member of the US Military I was not afforded any leniency what so ever in the pursuit of my degree. And I think I would not have had it any other way. Because obtaining the degree is only half the battle, the rest is proving your worth in the world "with it."

I was happy I did satisfy this goal and it came in handy not only in commanding the men who I served with in armed conflicts around the world, but it proved unequaled when now as a civilian I can beat my sword into a plow.

There is no equivalent in life to education, no short way around it, it's go through the process or make do without it.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really concerns me about the situation is that he wouldn't talk directly to the Free Press about it -- waited to see what they would publish, and then directed his comments accordingly. Why wouldn't he face the Free Press straight up? If it's really one paper, then why couldn't he have just told them that? It just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, I love his comment along the lines of: "I don't have an MBA. I meant about my experiences. My business experience was enough to make me feel like I desrved an MBA"

What a joke. Vote Cockrel

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syracuse verifies he has his degree. Does it really matter what date is stamped on it? Is the Knowledge important or the piece of paper?

Too many peple worried about initials after a name, not enough worried about the value of a mans work.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool.
First MonCon, Barbara Rose "creeping senility" Collins and Martha & the Vandellas openly support Bing, Now BSX throws his hat in the ring as well..

Do ya REALLY need any more information than that to know Ken Cockrel is the best choice we've got?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't give a rat's ass whether he has a degree, or what degree, or from where. What bothers me is that Mr. Bing, who is by all accounts fairly intelligent, is so politically inastute that he would lie, publicly and flagrantly, about a fact which can be easily verified.

So it's not the degree that bugs me; it's that he would tell a whopper about something that anybody could check up on, and of course somebody did.

This is a novice-politician mistake, and we don't need a novice running Detroit right now, and dealing with SEMCOG and the State and Federal government, and the people who live on City Council Planet, and Wayne County, and so on.

I don't live in Detroit so I can only vote indirectly, but all of my indirect votes will be going to Mr. Cockrel. I believe he is the best choice we have right now, and a pretty decent choice, at that.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't how I feel about this latest Bing snafu. Issue is, a politician is a lying, scheming, no good, low down dirty filthy disgusting vile mutt that should be taken out back, beaten, tortured and killed. So in that regard, I guess Bing is just typical. If you scoured the U.S. from coast to coast, federal down to the local level, you might find 5 or 6 honest politicians. The words honest and politician just don't belong in the same sentence together.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The people who live on City Council Planet."
I actually blew coffee out my nose when I read that one..to quote The Felon, "LOL, LOL, LOL."
:-)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LOL, sj, nice way to spin the article into new lies.

I didn't read the article, I am going by what the man said during a brief interview this morning.

quote:

Reversely speaking, other than some basic skills, it doesn't take much, if you are white, other than the 'norm' for people to join certain institution(s) of their choice.

Amazing how often that is overlooked still today.

(Message edited by _sj_ on March 11, 2009)

Ndavies

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't give a rat's ass whether he has a degree, or what degree, or from where. What bothers me is that Mr. Bing, who is by all accounts fairly intelligent, is so politically inastute that he would lie, publicly and flagrantly, about a fact which can be easily verified.

Obviously you've never dealt with industry sales people. Don't believe anything they tell you until the part ends up in your hands and you have verified it. It's not about if they will lie, It's how far they will stretch the lie.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sj, I dunno where you and BSX are getting your info..but color doesn't enter into it when one is applying to an institution of higher learning.
Meeting academic standards and being able to pay the fuggin' tuition, that's all it takes.

Are you suggesting that folks of darker skin tones don't have as many potential sources of student loans/grants/scholarships?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Obviously you've never dealt with industry sales people. Don't believe anything they tell you until the part ends up in your hands and you have verified it. It's not about if they will lie, It's how far they will stretch the lie.

So what you are saying is that it's ok for Dave Bing to tell a lie because it's an occupational trait?

Ndavies

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say it was OK to lie. I’m just saying they are going to lie, You have to decide whether or not it's relevant to them getting the job done.

Lying about when he got a degree is not the same as lying about him getting the degree at all.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, he lied about having an MBA too.

Is it just me or are people NOT reading the article and getting the whole story before they comment?

(scratching head)

(Message edited by chrissy_snow on March 11, 2009)

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If what Bing says is true (now) then it was an unnecessary lie. It was a lie about a little thing that probably wouldn't even have mattered if he had been honest about it from the beginning.

When people tell unnecessary lies, it is usually about vanity, ego, a need to be admired or accepted.

He certainly didn't need to tell that lie while he was playing basketball, did he? He founded the Bing Group in 1980, so he didn't need to tell the lie for that purpose either.

I don't know Dave Bing and I don't care which of the candidates becomes mayor. All I know is that I was taught to watch people who tell lies closely, and watch people who tell unnecessary lies very closely.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Locke09.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

inastute is not a word Scott

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does he think this is, like, cheating on an exam?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What a joke. Vote Cockrel

Yes, vote Cockrel. It's easier than caring about what happens to Detroit.
quote:

This would be a felony and could get you many years in jail if you used it to apply for graduate school or student loans.

It would not be a felony. It would get you kicked out of grad school, but it's not a felony.

Likewise, lying on a resume could get you fired. However, that's not a felony either.
quote:

But those aren't our choices. We know Bing is a liar and potential felon. Cockrel seems to be a decent guy, and there are no claims of massive fraud/misrepresentation like with Bing.

Calling Bing a "potential felon" is so far from being substantiated that it's not even funny.

As for Cockrel, what do you call it when someone takes a paycheck without doing the work he was assigned to do?

I'll give you a hint: it's something that will get you fired too.
quote:

This is a novice-politician mistake, and we don't need a novice running Detroit right now, and dealing with SEMCOG and the State and Federal government, and the people who live on City Council Planet, and Wayne County, and so on.

I agree that it's a novice mistake. Unfortunately, it still represents the best option we have for May.
quote:

I don't live in Detroit so I can only vote indirectly, but all of my indirect votes will be going to Mr. Cockrel. I believe he is the best choice we have right now, and a pretty decent choice, at that.

#1. Calling Cockrel a "decent choice" is like calling AIG an outstanding investment option; something that you should pour your entire 401k into.

#2. I invite you to come spend some time living in Detroit's neighborhoods. Talk to any of the 3,500 people who have had to dial 9-1-1 in the past week for a police emergency - but who never saw a cop show up.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]Bing has made the MBA claim at least once -- in the same video on the retired players' Web site.

"I got an MBA from the General Motors Institute, after I got into business," Bing responded about preparing for life after basketball.

The Flint-based school, now known as Kettering University, has no record of Bing receiving an MBA.

"Dave does not have an MBA," Russell said. "He knows that."

Russell had no explanation for why Bing said he had the advanced degree.

Kettering did award Bing an honorary doctor of management degree in 2000. Bing also has honorary degrees from the University of Michigan and Syracuse.[end quote Detroit Free Press 3/11/2009]

I should have qualified my former statement and say Kettering does not give an Honorary MBA. The quote above shows that they in fact gave him an Honorary Doctor of Management.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purpleheart,

Astute does not have a direct antonym (reference works suggest nothing better than "stupid"). I needed a direct antonym, so I made up the word "inastute".

Since you wrote that, I looked it up, and it is actually a very common non-word. So perhaps years hence, it will enter the dictionary, along such modern uses as "d'oh" and the use of "microwave" and "google" as verbs.

Just to fully disclose, though, I must confess I did not receive that word, in an honorary fashion or otherwise, from any University :-)

Purpleheart

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol scott ^5

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since you wrote that, I looked it up, and it is actually a very common non-word. So perhaps years hence, it will enter the dictionary, along such modern uses as "d'oh" and the use of "microwave" and "google" as verbs.

I was arguing vehemently with some young people last year that "conversate" is not a word. It might not have been then, but it is now (although still considered slang) and I had to apologize.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing made the claim he never said MBA this morning.

quote:

Sj, I dunno where you and BSX are getting your info..but color doesn't enter into it when one is applying to an institution of higher learning.

In a perfect world, but we all know it isn't

Professorscott

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still argue it, Locke, a la Nero Wolfe. "Conversate" might be a word, or becoming one, but it's not a word in my classroom.

(Example for those unfamiliar with the aforementioned fictional detective: "Archie, 'contact' is not, and never will be, a verb in this house.")

Crawford

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It would not be a felony. It would get you kicked out of grad school, but it's not a felony.

It could absolutely be a felony in some jurisdictions.

There's a young lady who was recently sentenced to a number of years in CT prison from her fradulent matriculation at Yale.

Her student loan companies are pursuing additional criminal charges against her.

Could this be criminal or felonious behavior in the business world? Any lawyers care to comment?