Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » White in a Black Neighborhood, by Hugh Simpson « Previous Next »
Archive through March 13, 2009Danny30 03-13-09  12:16 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...create an untopian structured society based upon morals and values."

We're already pretty "untopian" here.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. This boildown by Locke09 of BSX's commentary struck a chord with me:

1. White people think they're doing something "special" when they live in a majority black neighborhood.

2. Black people think their neighborhood is "special when it has even 1 white person living in it.

Any majority neighborhood either way finds an integrative neighbor interesting. "Special" may be carrying it a bit far.

In civil rights housing discussions, the topic of integrative moves tends to put a premium on whites moving into black neighborhoods because of the relative rarity of such moves. Integrative moves are seen as positive either way in that context because of the notion that all-white or all-black neighborhoods are indicative of segregation and denial of housing opportunities to black people. There can be no denying the fact that white flight caused a massive plunge of housing prices in Detroit in the 70s, seemingly reinforcing the notion that it was blacks moving in that cause prices to fall. Note that I called it like it is, White Flight caused it. Still that old notion that property values will fall persists, and that is the prime reason white integrative moves are viewed as helpful, because the property values might go up, not because the person is white, but because there might be more buyers interested in a neighborhood that shows signs of becoming more diverse.

From there we plunge bodily into the fight about gentrification, where we don't need to go here. I just wanted to point out some well worn discussion points from the civil rights community to explain some viewpoints expressed on here.

Either way, from personal experience, I can tell you making an integrative move does have a few challenges.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx-doug,

I was just trying to break it down for a better discussion. I try to push past the name-calling and insults on all sides of the various discussions on this forum. I don't like it when it is directed toward a group or an individual.

I love America deeply too, and with all its problems, I still love Detroit passionately. So, I hate to see either disrespected.

The tide is turning in America and for the majority of people skin color is no longer an issue. But for too many people it still is. It is an issue when a) you think you are superior or b) you think you are inferior.

There are still people who think they are superior, even when outwardly they appear to embrace the other race. You can recognize them because they come across very "patronizing". And like it or not, there are still people who think they are inferior. Kudos to the people like you who have gotten beyond that.

Go back to your post #844. Do you think this guy doesn't think he is special because he has the "courage" and "progressiveness" to live in a majority black neighborhood. Some people might think he's posting it on YouTube to say "Look at me, aren't I liberal and understanding and open-minded. I just discovered something about black people that no one else knew." Or, maybe he is truly trying to help spread understanding. I don't know. Just looking at the discussion from both sides.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "white flight" is a misnomer..should be called "cash flight."
After the riots, my (white) family hauled out to Farmington, taking six-year-old me with 'em.
My (black) next door neighbors got outta Dodge three weeks before my family did, though..as did most anyone else with the ability to do so.
I think it was more a "I don't want to live in downtown Beirut" thing more than a "I don't want to live near those (insert race here) thing."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4561
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13

To have a utopian society the people must have thesis, antithesis and synthesis. After that is in place the people must constitute peace by control and to have a muticultural culture in which is not going to happen bacause people have their own culture based up belief and values.

America is not a utopian society. This nation structured on personal culture on beliefs and values after exloitation of the poeple who once live here respecting nature. This nation is not yet free. There still a revolution going on. Culture, politicial, religion, rich, poor types of civil wars are still going on here in United States both past and present. So if the people want a utopian society, a synthesis must be settled and a one culture, religion and goverment must be established in a communal order.

In utopia peace and freedom is by ONE STRUCTURED ORDER! America doesn't have one structure order a point. America structured from a Latin motto E. PLVRIBVS VNVM (out of many, one) Which means this nation is founded out of many people from different nations. Utopia is founded on one point of culture values and beliefs and languages.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. 35 posts since 11:30 pm last night.

If Detroiters got as fired up about the other issues facing the city as they do about the race issue, I bet many would be astonished at how quickly the city could get cleaned up.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"White people think they're doing something "special" when they live in a majority black neighborhood."

What a strange notion. I never thought I was special or anything else for living in primarily black neighborhoods. We just simply stayed where we were. And our neighbors, although their race changed over the years, were still mostly from working class or poor families, like ours, and most were trying to make or had made better lives for themselves. The true tragedy of Detroit is that so many of them saw their hopes crumble. We were certainly not like some dork who thought that the daring act of living in a middle class neighborhood primarily populated by African-Americans while pale-skinned was worth producing several videos about.

My father has never lived more than a couple of miles from where he was born (Eastlawn between Vernor and Charlevoix) or anywhere other than the City of Detroit, except when Uncle Sam had other ideas, and still lives here 84 years later. While he's certainly a special person in many ways, it's not for the people he's happened to live near over the years.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..Gee, I'm showing my age because I can remember when the "Color Line" was broken on "Soul Train". Danny and Mr. X, maybe when your village or ghettohood becomes the target of gentrification you can welcome the new arrivals by burning a watermelon on their lawn.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, exactly.

Sludgedaddy, do you remember when whites didn't want blacks to move in their neighboorhoods back in your day, and tried to form mobs to beat them if they tried to move in?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brag...I come from an Appalachian coal mining community and both my father and those so called people of color who worked along side him all looked the same at the end of a shift. Those incidents you speak of pre-date me. For the most part, my family was always the only people of non-color in the neighborhood. Poverty and circumstance can affect anyone, it's how adversity is overcome that's the main factor. Judging by many of the above postings, racism exists from many different sides depending on who burns the watermelon or the cross.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, while we're on the topic, how much longer are ya gonna put up with this asshole and his "Amerikkka" bullshit?
Plainly and simply put, I have rather a deep love for my country, and am sick of seeing it disrespected by some wannabe intellectual who's stuck in 1960 Mississippi.
How long will his "basic white person" line continue to be tolerated?
How long would you tolerate a white supremacist screaming "nigger?"
What the fuck is the difference between the two?
------------------

I am wondering the same thing.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bragabout me wrote:
"Sludgedaddy, do you remember when whites didn't want blacks to move in their neighborhoods back in your day, and tried to form mobs to beat them if they tried to move in?"

I wasn't going to enter this discussion since I don't live up there yet but I did ask my mother about this. She lived in Detroit from 1933 till we moved in the late 60s.

She said there has always been racial tensions in Detroit. When she was growing up the Irish thought they were better than the Polish. The Polish thought they were better than the Jews. The Jews hated the Germans and on and on. My mother (Polish) remembers to this day her father threatening to beat her mothers ass because she shopped in the Jewish store. One ethnic group would not live next to another one. So, if this has been going on since 1930 maybe it will be resolved by 2030. 100 years is a long time for this to keep on. Especially since no one is better than anyone else and we're all just trying to make it. I'm shocked how even the city council keeps this up knowing it's harmful to the city.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom,irish descent, told me that her mother only told her to keep away from the italians when she was growing up on the east side.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX, master of ceremonies. You think if he got on here and posted a cogent non provocatve comment any of you folks would respond?

Notice the lack of some old timey Dyes members in response to his post. That's the ONLY way to limit his impact is to ignore it.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster..as moderator of a website that sees about two hundred times the traffic of this one, I disagree. If you allow the trolls to run rampant, the people who have something of value to post will disappear.
Even the most low tech BB software gives the moderator/admin plenty of options for controlling trolls.
Selective deletion, warnings for TOS violations, temporary banning, full banning, restriction of forum(s) access, warning letters..all of these things are a site owner's friend.
Unfortunately, it would appear that our favorite troll is also a site owner's friend.
Everyone here seems to agree that Monica Conyers' inability to maintain control of her council meetings makes her a lousy moderator..
And yet it's apparently perfectly acceptable that we've got a guy who manages to make a racist comment in every post, and OUR moderator refuses to swing his gavel and cry "Order!"

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster I agree with your post- BSX needs attention.

Janesbeck ok you live in Montrose part of Houston but claim you're not gay.. but you've tried it at least lol Just teasing.

I'm 3 hrs down the coast in Rockport.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One ethnic group would not live next to another one."

My experience growing up in SW Detroit from 1952 - 1970 was nothing like that. Our neighborhood was a true melting pot of virtually all nationalities/colors, side by side.

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickinatlanta- What neighborhood was that?

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was primarily early years. My grandmother arrived in Detroit in 1901, mother was born in Detroit 1933. Or it could have been life in the Polish section where ever that was at the time. After the different ethnic groups got done feuding the whites were harassing the blacks so it did kind of keep going.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious that some people don't like to hear the TRUTH. Sure, I could come on this forum and pretend to be something I am not, and offer societies political correct rhetoric that people desire to hear. I am not interested in fighting to uphold 'ameri...a's so-called social democracy. To be sure, for the mass of my people, it has not been a winning affair. I'm am more interested in my people becoming as self-serving and individualistic as the entire course of 'ameri...a' has been.

So then, when I get a chance to speak the TRUTH, as I see it, and many of my constituents see it, I speak it CLEARLY AND FIERCLY, and I'm not concerned on who's feelings are hurt. Do you think the average Black African living in ameri...a, enjoys seeing/ hearing the day by day contradiction of 'ameri...as' so-called democracy? I don’t have to look far either, just look at the mean spirited and innate hatred that spews from this site about Detroit’s Black citizens and Black African leadership. Code words like 'stupid', 'ugly', 'thug', 'crazy', 'retarded', 'ghetto', etc., are often used. (I can imagine what goes on when the lights are off.) When we talk about issues centered around what the original thread poster invoked, we have to speak it in a manor to which we live it.

I'm not expecting 'basic-white' people to fully dig' when we speak into the illness of 'ameri...a. To be sure, most of you are the privileged recipients of all that is attached to ‘our’ on-going struggles. If you are not recipients of being white-skinned, then you ought to have no one to blame but yourself__to be sure, the system was designed for ‘them’, by ‘them’!

An obvious example of basic-white people that can’t comprehend (or wish not to, because it helps them sleep at night) is the particular post asking to differentiate between the aspersions of 'basic-white' and 'ameri...a', and the dispersion of the N-word, (the poster proudly spelled the word out..go figure!). The poster shows his/her/its ignorance and audacity by even suggesting such a thing is equivalent. Let it be clear, that there is not a functional or moral equivalence between the two terms. The reality is, there has NEVER been such a history of systemic discrimination imposed by Black African people where the use of expressions like 'basic-white' or 'ameri...a' etc., had a corollary advantage for Black people to progress. So no white person has ever been lynched, raped, castrated, or murdered because of being 'basic/white' or 'ameri...an' etc.

REVERSLY, the use of the N word, that the 'basic-white' poster had no problem using, has been connected with a history of REVULSION, and DISSACTISFACTION against Black African people in an organized attempt to counter-mine, sabotage and stifle ‘our’ authority, presence and space in 'ameri...a'...there is no doubt, in a historical context, colorful terms used by Africans to describe white hostile authority are completely different than that of Black hatred imposed by the larger society . (I Hope that explanation will help the naive poster understand the difference).

The state of denial that most 'basic-white' people live in is truly amazing. When talking about issues to which the original poster invoked, ‘they’ pretend that all is well, and that a person like the one in the video is an odd ball of some sort. 'They' claim that speakers like myself, who can articulate a powerful message, are 'trolls', (whatever that means), and that we make statements simply to provoke responses. What they don't realize, is that many of 'us' see it, feel it, and live it, every single day within the Black experience.

I learned something a long time ago when challenging the authority of 'basic-white' people to be critical about ameri...ca’s issues and the Black experience, is that some become riled-up when one can articulate the TRUTH, or is correctly perceived as intelligent and authentic.. Being of African descent, and to acknowledge our intelligence and our fundamental authenticity chinks the armor of their flawed superiority. Instead of proper debate, 'they' call my sentiments, 'trolling' (what ever that is), hostile, stupid, distorted, or they pass judgement on me as a human being when they have no other recourse or intellectual debate, expression, or counter. Then of course, as stated, they tend to revert to their vile inherent unconsciousness, like wishing me gone, and siding with others of their illness. I welcome the challenge of a discussion, however I refuse to react to such foolishness as name calling etc. In the scheme of progress, the latter point is useless.

Moving on, as far as the original thread, when we talk about the natural way most humans work, like any creature of the universe, we tend to mark our territory. People like to live and stay in a community to which all is connected in terms of things like language, heritage, custom, religion, and YES COLOR . There are exceptions to the rule, but it would be naive or pathological to think any differently.

Black Africans living in 'ameri...a', due to the psycho-pathology incurred from the system of white supremacy, are the only group on a mass scale that continue to fight for the flawed philosophy of integration. The larger society, the wealthy along with other groups and immigrants of sort, have a long history of closing off their communities to outsiders. Communities, such as China-towns, Korea Town, Mexican Town etc. claim and mark their spaces. Our society is increasingly pluralistic, and every group is staking out their space and marking and closing their space. Black Africans living in 'ameri...a' are the only group that has not used this strategy. We have to began to build our villages, but to keep them and have them achieve our objectives, like economic, political, and institutional competitiveness, we have to mark and close our communities.

People ought not be surprised about 'ameri...as' segregated and racist philosophy. White people can pretend to want integration all they want, but the reality is, they are no more interested in integration than than anyone else. White flight demonstrates this racist philosophy well. When Black Africans move in, whites and their subgroups MOVE-OUT!

Black people have been tricked and hoodwinked into believing that we should share our resources. We openly share our gains and progress with all, while all others boycott our way of life and what we offer. If boycotting were illegal, white people and all their subgroups would be liable for contravention of the law, especially since they have boycotted and exploited the Black experience for years!

So to the guy in the video, unless he is willing to play by the rules and code of conduct to which the Black experience represents, he is openly welcomed. However, if he plans to impose his way of life within the presence of our community, he has to be shipped out as soon as possible!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL...please check in!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4602
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotta to love broad sweeping generalizations even to those who have fought for civil rights, have chosen to work in community activities and who understand and realize the effects of hate on fellow human beings...great..let's all build walls...my question to you my friend is what have you done to break them down lately..oh I know that's not your responsibility..you didn''t build them. Seems like when we go to protecting our villages someone in the next one always wants our resources until they get strong enough to take them...that one act of agression has gone on in all cultures...

so whynot shift the paradigm..why not be a leader and a true moral person and say enough of the rhetoric of hate and seperation. Why not understand the human experience and allof it's short comings, violence and greed; and say enough is enough...be part of the solution , I recognize the historyand work hard to educate others on the devasting efffects of discriminationfor all peoples and then I teach people how move to leave something better for all of our children...

thats how this person who is demonized by many other ethnic groups tends to deal with humans...with compassion...if you don't believe that there is many people out there that have empathy for your experience guess again...

when my black (used color only for effect) neighbor's wife died he didn't see color he saw the loss of his life we cried in my arms as I in his..and we who loved her as if she was family morned her death as if she was our own...we didn't stop to ask if it was ok to feel pain..we felt it...so when are you going to let others into your heart and become friends?

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4603
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh by the way blacksoul I had two fathers growing up...one my dad and the Mr. Lewis my track coach...both left a mark in my development...one black one white...sorry you didn't experience that kind of unconditional love ..but it's not too late,

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philbo that was SW Detroit, Vernor, Springwells, Lawndale, and Woodmere.

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rickinatlanta- I used to know 3 people who grew up around Grand River/Trumbull area in the 1960s. I thought maybe you were frome the same area. Thanks

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX, why don't you shove your "black experience" up your ass, okay?
I'm really sick of your attempts to shove it up everyone elses..

There are people..color doesn't matter, they're just people. These folks don't seem to notice what color the guy next door happens to be, or particularly give a shit what race the fellow who he does business with is.
These are normal folk.

Then there are militants (of both races) who strive to prove the vast difference between one race and another, to wedge as much hatred and anger and fear into the gap between races as possible..
These are the folk who are currently causing the city of Detroit to be the failure it is..by striving to create a little nation named Detroit, seperate and apart from neighboring communities, they are slowly killing the city.

I'm in the first camp..guess which one you're in, BSX.

By the way, I see my use of the "n-word" really tripped your trigger, even in the context of a rhetorical question..now you know what it feels like to see your "basic white person" crap.
Enjoy it?

(Message edited by ZRX_Doug on March 16, 2009)

Ocean2026

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler said the same thing as BSX "people are afraid to hear the truth" So did Charlie Manson.

I don't agree with you on the tax thing Zrg but 'you're right on brother" here.

I find that people who are so identified with their race "Black and Proud" "White power" often have few personal accomplishments to speak of- so they are proud of their race (they had nothing to do with it) or proud to be a "Native Texan" ( yuck)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to stay out of online discussions about race, because those discussions degenerate pretty quickly.

This, though:

quote:

By the way, I see my use of the "n-word" really tripped your trigger, even in the context of a rhetorical question..now you know what it feels like to see your "basic white person" crap.
Enjoy it?

is pure bullshit. There is no comparison.

"Enjoy it?" Please.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A racial slur is a racial slur, Dave..BSX uses his to describe folks of my race all the time, and it's hurtful.
I pull one out of the box and place it in a rhetorical question and all of a sudden I'M the bad guy?
Sorry, I don't buy it..context means all, and BSX uses "basic white person" the same way a white racist would use the "n-word."
If you don't see the similarity, it's because you're not looking at it objectively.
By the way, why the hell does calling it "the n-word" make it acceptable when speaking in the context of describing the word? Are we children? Are we pretending that we don't know what the hell the euphemism means? Or are we perhaps reaching into any damned corner we can to take offense and play the victim?
Let's get something out right now..I've not used the "n-word" in anger in my whole life. In fact, I've not spoken it since I was old enough to understand what it meant.
Can BSX say the same?
His ethnic slur of choice shows up in every damned post he's ever made in this forum, and in the context of degrading his targets.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Blksoul_x, The WHITE LIES of American culture (If it is American culture,) is being decoded collectively. At least there still African Americans who are living the post-Socratic nature and expressing their liberal views.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Doug, there just is no comparison. Not all racial slurs are created equal.

I know plenty of people who fit into Blksoul_X's definition of "basic white people". I also know all white people are not "basic white people". Do you understand the difference?

Not objective? Probably true. But I think objectivity flies out the window when your little brother runs to you (in tears) because someone called him "the 'n-word'".

I don't care for anyone's ethnic slur du jour--they're all insulting--but to minimize the use, definition, history and destructive nature of the "N-word" is--at best--naive.

quote:

Let's get something out right now..I've not used the "n-word" in anger in my whole life.

Are you counting internet forum posts with that?

Again, I try to stay out of online discussions about race, because those discussions degenerate pretty quickly. In person--different story. Now, if all these folks who feel so passionately about this issue would get together and go through a workshop featuring "Race: The Power of an Illusion" or "The Color of Fear", perhaps some meaningful dialogue could take place.

But it's safer to be holier-than-thou behind a computer screen.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And no doubt a lot of people fit in my hypothetical racist's definition of "the n-word," but that doesn't give anyone license to use it as BSX does his choice of slur on this forum..level playing field, anyone?

You're damned straight I'm counting internet posts..I used the word in the context of a question.
"If someone was to call you ------, they'd be booted out of here ASAP."
Put the word of choice in the sentence above, and you'll understand that it's not being used in a mean or hurtful manner..how are you supposed to discuss the topic in a clinical manner if the mere mention of the word is taken as an offense?
I didn't "minimize" the word in any way..I used it to illustrate a point..but it would appear that some want to make a career out of maximizing the damned thing.

I'm sorry for your little brother..he shouldn't have to face the racial slurs of bigoted assholes.
But then, neither should anyone else.
Not even white people.

I'm not "holier than thou."
I'm offended at the constant slurs that one person on this board sees fit to use in the negative context of describing another race.

(Message edited by ZRX_Doug on March 17, 2009)

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"or proud to be a "Native Texan" ( yuck)"

Now Ocean, whats with that? Hmm.? You do remember where I live, doncha? .........Lol

Actually, I do take pride in my state (Texas) , I take pride in my heritage, Greek and Roman,

Even today, , the Irish take pride in their culture as well, but we also appreciate and accept each others differeneces.
That doesn't make a person "racist" when we take pride in our own cultures, makes us strong,but we all need to embrace and enjoy each others differences.....

This is something I have enjoyed doing and look forward to continue doing as well.......

Happy St. Pattys day everyone......:-) Jane

Ocean2026

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane I'm proud that its 74 degrees here today on the ocean. If Bush was from Michigan - I'd be prouder of Texas lol

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"If someone was to call you ------, they'd be booted out of here ASAP."
Put the word of choice in the sentence above, and you'll understand that it's not being used in a mean or hurtful manner..how are you supposed to discuss the topic in a clinical manner if the mere mention of the word is taken as an offense?

You could do it this way:

"If someone were to call you a derogatory racial slur, they'd be booted out of here ASAP."

My sensitivities would not allow me to fill in the blank with any slur. There would be no need to anyway. I could make the point without doing that and without fanning the flames and without risking insult to innocent people.

Also, "N-word", "b-word", we use those kinds of euphemisms with a lot of words when we don't care to even give breath to words we consider to be despicable and highly offensive.

Just an alternative suggestion. Carry on.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are all people of color. Everyone should be proud of their heritage but not at the expense of other groups. More education is the ticket.

My neighborhood is very diverse and a beautiful blend of many races and religions. I like that we have many seniors and young families as well.

Race baiting is harmful to the soul and just shows ignorance and a lack of respect for humanity in general. I do not need to love every individual so I avoid contact with negative or simply ignorant persons with hate agendas. There are a few posters on the board that I just scroll past. Generally I can get the gist by reading following posts.

I have been in my current neighborhood for 44 years and it just keeps getting better. This is the Detroit that few hear about. Neighbors can and do work together for a common good.

I re read my post and it sounds kind of sappy. I feel like Mr. Roger of, "Won't you be my neighbor" fame. However, in a better more educated society, race should be irrelevant.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get back to the original thread before BSX muddied it up.

Is it difficult to be white in an all Black neighborhood? Are most people color-blind? Is there resentment towards whites on a wide scale?

Let's try for accuracy rather than 100% political correctness.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of wordslinging in this thread. If one can get past some of the statements made perhaps more in anger than for debate, there have been some pretty good posts. Bsx's last post should provide food for thought for white folks who think that they have it all figured out based on their intimate knowledge of the black experience. The hyper-militancy of some of Bsx's views shouldn't be used to automatically condemn him as treasonous or evil. It's more responsible to consider his ideas and try to find knowledge and insight. It's usually possible.

Unfortunately, though, Bsx undermines most every position he advocates when he uses the "basic white people" and "amerikka" terminology. Zrx hit it squarely when he said that Bsx unleashes his terminology "in the context of degrading his targets." So true. Bsx's clever terms may not have the historical insult of the n-word, but he has the intent to slur or disparage nonetheless. No amount of intellectualization and invoking "white superiority" can evade this obvious (and perhaps unconscious) playground level need to sink to name-calling in order to win an argument. Oh well, sticks and stones and all that.

As for the white guy in the black neighborhood. Kind of clueless, but relatively harmless too. A bit more self-awareness about what he was doing and saying would improve his videos.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh well, sticks and stones and all that."

No, no it goes like this:

I'm rubber and you're glue, everything you say, bounces off me and sticks on you!

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_X, some of our kids aren't seeing color anymore. What is left is fear because many white children have never even seen a black person in real life. If we raise our kids in a area that is mixed, they might not see a real difference. Our idea is to make skin color more like hair color to our children. Is that so bad?

I think a problem is white people do not want to live in Beirut. There are plenty of white people who think ghetto is synonymous with black/Mexican/Arabic area. Why should they think different? That is what is shown on our TVs and music albums, and they have never even really met any black people.

I felt this video was meant to show those young You Tubers the world outside of White Amerika. Blksoul_X, I agree with some of your views, even though I am white. There are white parents who would rather their daughters do drugs and prostitute themselves than talk to a black man.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.