Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » What are we voting for on April 7, 2009? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a letter in the mail from the City of Detroit Department of Elections stating that I have a new polling location and election day is on April 7, 2009. It gives no other details except for saying that I received a Citizen's District Coucil Election Notice on February 23, 2009 to "inform me of my polling location." I don't remember receiving such a letter.

The question is, what are we voting for on April 7, 2009 and has anyone elses polling location recently changed?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the same thing and was confused too. It told me i'm voting at the city office.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You live in a neighborhood that has a Citizen’s District Council.

Quoted from the election notice that you may not have received, CDC’s “represent the viewpoint of the community in urban renewal projects, assist in planning and carrying out the community’s concerns about housing and related activities, and act as the link between the community and city agencies.”

CDC’s have an election once a year. I’m guessing some of the notices they sent out for this year’s election were missing the polling place, so they sent a second notice.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4281
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Citizen's District Councils

Citizen's District Councils are advisory councils mandated by law to provide citizen participation in planning and development issues for City-designated redevelopment and district areas.

The Neighborhood Support Services Division staff provides the following services for CDCs:

* contract preparation for CDCs that have been allocated administrative funds through the CDBG program
* administrative support for unfunded CDCs
* technical assistance to facilitate citizen participation.

Sounds like a good base for city districts/wards, huh?

Jayjoejee
Username: Jayjoejee

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know who the candidate's are for this council?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are your neighborhood folks. Once the City
quit funding the CDC's most of them closed up, but
if you have an active neighborhood, like block clubs,or resident's councils, those are the names that should be written in, just in case funding ever does become available.

Jayjoejee
Username: Jayjoejee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense.
Good to know.
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.