Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Guardian Building 80th Anniversary Celebration « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an invitation in the mail the other day for The Guardian buildings 80th anniversary celebration Thurs March 25 from 5:30-7:30 Anyone else get an invite?

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to this link for more information on the book signing etc.

www.specialevents.wayne.edu/gu ardian

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will anything be happening besides author signings? Tours, speakers,etc?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be attending this Guardian Building 80th Birthday event. Anyone else?

Fho: While there will be speakers, they are not talking about the books per se, but rather the event and the people and the WSU Press. And the talks are usually pretty short so as to allow time with the individual authors to buy books and have them signed. No formal tour.

If you are looking for a Guardian Building tour, the Detroit Historical Museum has one coming up on April 4:

Behind the Scenes Tour: Guardian Building, Saturday, April 4, 2009, 11am. The Guardian Building, built during Detroit’s 1920s building boom, was created for the Union Trust Company in 1928. The 40-story steel-framed building, designed by architect Wirt C. Rowland, is covered in 1.8 million orange-tan bricks. Its interior features stepped arches, three-story vaulted ceilings, and tiles produced by Pewabic Pottery. Because of its luxurious interior and resemblance to a cathedral, the building is nicknamed “the Cathedral of Finance.” During this tour, Howell will share her vast knowledge of the building and personal anecdotes. $20 for Detroit Historical Society members; $30 for nonmembers. http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/main/upcoming/behind_scenes .aspx
To register or purchase tickets, call 313.833.1801 or
http://www.olddetroitshop.com/ ticketsales.html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also...

The Guardian Building: Cathedral of Finance, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 12 noon. Author James Tottis appears at Pure Detroit in the Guardian Building to sign copies of his book. Pure Detroit is offering a special sale of 25% of the book. Come meet the author and get your book signed. http://www2.wsupress.wayne.edu /guardianbuilding#news3

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger and betterhalf plan to attend the celebration at the Guardian Thursday night.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6247
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info Kathleen!

Someone should inform the Detroit Historical Society about the error on their website... most (if not all) of the interior tiles are Rookwood tiles, while the exterior has Pewabic tiles.

Rookwood and Pewabic were the leading potteries in the midwest in the early 20th century. Rookwood (of Cincinnati) is no longer in business, but luckily Pewabic has been resurrected.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6832
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Guardian is still one of the premiere places I take out-of-towners to- just so they can see its magnificence and get some Detroit swag at Pure Detroit.

I really do miss the Karmic Cafe that was in there though. I thought that place really had a good chance to succeed in there- it had good food at a decent price and the locale always left people breathless.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish the tour of the building could be video taped and copies offered on CD for a nominal cost. I'd love to see inside that building again after working there for so many years. I'd especially like to hear the anecdotes and see the places I never knew existed in the building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.