Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Mildred gaddis doppleganger? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at a rally enlisting detroiters to fight lansing's proposed cobo deal, a woman stated "vultures took down Kwame and are now feasting on the city."

this woman - who spoke alongside monica conyers and joann watson - claimed to be mildred gaddis, the host of inside detroit, and staunch foe of the ex-mayor.

ms. gaddis has made numerous mention of "funeral flowers" sent to her by kilpatrick - a floral bouquet she said would be sent upon one's death.

gaddis heavily criticized kilpatrick during his reign, and especially did so as he became embattled over the brown-nelthrope case. gaddis heaped sympathy on the wronged parties. gaddis gushed over granholm's professional conduct as she conducted hearings into the perjury matter, calling the governor a consummate judicial mind, and possible one-day supreme court nominee.

gaddis also was critical of nicholas hood iii during his mayoral campaign, for creating ties with ex-kilpatrick allies.

and now, she is claimed to have made the quote, "vultures took down Kwame and are now feasting on the city?"

i can't wait to hear her show on monday.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thecarl...

I was wondering who would point this out.

Any idea what's going on?

Thecarl

Post Number: 929
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno, pffft. like i said, i want to hear her show monday. i'm sure she'll be challenged on what seems to be a disingenuous about-face.

and it's strange, during this whole cobo debacle, i've not once heard about kwame's peccadillo of tacking $30M onto the center's loan without consulting the original signees of the bond. this put wayne, oakland, and macomb counties on the hook for more funds that cannot be traced.

and now, i wonder - does gaddis fear having a regional authority coming in and doing forensics on the books? or is she affiliated with someone profiting from current operations at the facility? i really want to believe she is upright and sincere, but this news shakes my perception of her.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know many people who strongly opposed Kwame, and also strongly believe the Cobo deal should be improved. They are two different things.

As for the quote about the vultures, is this coming from an eye-witness, because I looked at the Free Press and News articles on the rally? The News has a couple of quotes from her and that is not one of them. I missed the televised news, was it on there?

It would be very strange indeed if Mildred Gaddis said that in that exact way. I could see her saying something like, "Kwame has been taken down (a good thing) and now vultures are feeding on the City." That implies that without a real leader, even if he was corrupt, the City is vulnerable.

I will definitely wake up early Monday to see if that "quote" is addressed.

Also, no way would Kwame have ever allowed Mildred Gaddis to be in any position to profit from Cobo. He hated her. Neither would Ken Cockrel. He doesn't like her either. Agree or disagree, I have to believe she is sincere.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Locke09... that quote would be a polar opposite to Mildred's previous sentiments about the previous administration.

Thecarl

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...the quote has been redacted from the article! it appears in the comments section, but it is no longer part of the main piece. perhaps the person who poked the holes in the roof during the auto show is trying to cast aspersions on ms. gaddis to discredit those who object to the cobo proposal!

okay, so now i can't wait to see tonight's local news...to see if ms. gaddis really said this, or not! never a dull moment...

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do a search on Mildred, Gaddis and Vultures on google the first part of the quote appears in the abstract, but there is no cache of the article to see it in the original context.

http://tinyurl.com/cj6wbq

Still WTF?

I pretty much can't stand listening to her since she got on her Ken Cockrell kick. The Cobo issue and now her apparent flip flop on KK have probably sealed the deal for me.

I love how she's all about "outside forces" not bringing down the city, when she doesn't even live in Detroit.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on March 14, 2009)

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred Gaddis couldn't string together two coherent sentences in a row if her life depended on it. Listening to her is like listening to squirrels. Who KNOWS what she's talkin' about?! (Certainly not her.) I'd love for someone to give her a column or a blog. Trying to decipher THAT would be like trying to decipher hieroglyphics without the Rosetta Stone. Gaddis = gibberish.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are all these people around here crazy or what?

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham - are you serious?

Please tell me you are not one of those Kwame apologists?

Thecarl

Post Number: 931
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

daddeeo, we also have this from jack lessenberry's latest metro times rant:

quote:

I heard Brooks say, 34 years ago, that the city ought to be walled off by the suburbs and given blankets and corn, like a reservation. Now he has grown up.

jack lessenberry making nice with "mel brooks patterson" (my new name for him)? and this gaddis incident? is it the green beer? or, just signs of the apocalypse?

curiouser and curiouser!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3132
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred Gaddis, Frankie Darcell... Who gives a fuck what these radio chatterboxes think, say, or do?
If Detroiters would start thinking for themselves, the over-all results might not be better, but at least the exercise would be worthwhile.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Detroiters would start thinking for themselves, the over-all results might not be better, but at least the exercise would be worthwhile.

Wow, I thought I was reading the Freep Comments. What? Every Detroiter you meet is an idiot?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, and your inference is your intellectual property.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5395
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rally was just an anti-Cockrel rally in disguise.

Frankly, I hope it throws more support his way.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trstar, yeah, I'm serious. And no, by no means am I a Kwame apologist. The bum deserved to be thrown out. I still maintain that "Gaddis" ought to enter the lexicon as a synonym for "gibberish." They're one and the same.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been listening to her for awhile. I used to enjoy her no-nonsense view of the the world, but her entire game is getting old.

Here are a couple of things I've noticed about her all-nonsense show.

- When she isn't positive about a fact, but she wants to make it sound important, she will repeat it. s h e w i l l r e p e a t i t. As though if she slows down and repeats herself, it makes it truthier.

- When she wants to spread a rumor,... "everyone knows ..." or "I was told ..." or "I heard ..."

- Anyone who disagrees with Mildred is cut off. Any of her frequent callers, regardless of their ability to form complete coherant thoughts are allowed to sprew.

- If the caller kisses her ring, they get an extra couple of minutes.

Gaddis is a pot stirrer and is only happy if she isn't unhappy about something.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard she used to be a man.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>The rally was just an anti-Cockrel rally in disguise.<<

Agreed. Conyers doesn't want him to win. Sad thing is, she may get her way.

She disgusts me more than anyone in this city.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news article was probably amended because they realized that she was quoted inaccurately. She also probably did not really say "outside forces are trying to bring down the city" in just that manner. That sentence does not have quotes around it in the article so it is the writer's interpretation of what she meant.

Like Gnome, I also don't like the way she cuts people off when it appears they will say something she doesn't agree with. I don't like it when anyone is afraid of an opposing point of view. Your arguments or positions should be able to stand on their own merit and not depend upon silencing others or making them appear to be idiots because they think or feel differently than you.

She also often thinks a person is disagreeing with her when they are actually agreeing. This happens because of her tendency to jump to a conclusion about what they are saying and cut them off.

But, I like her show and believe that she did help expose Kwame. She was sounding the alarm, before he was even elected the first time, before anyone else in the media, even the Free Press. When people decide that she is a "bum" now that she is on a different side of the argument from them, they betray their own inability to handle an opposing point of view.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.