Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Kenyatta running for mayor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090314/NEWS01/90314062/1001/N EWS/Kenyatta+says+he+ll+run+fo r+mayor+in+Detroit

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop. We got enough foolishness going on around these parts!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

decent council person, terrible mayor.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I suppose that's another council spot open to a reasonable (or not) candidate. God help Detroit.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should be able to get a good deal on "Kwame for Mayor" lawn signs.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 761
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, one Kwame as mayor was too much. We definitely don't need another one.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check with the city water department. What are they putting in the city water?
Is Ricky the clown still alive?
Maybe Johnny Ginger can come back and run for Mayor.
What we need is a modern day Milky the Clown to make all the bad stuff go away.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6224
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He should be able to get a good deal on "Kwame for Mayor" lawn signs.

LOL.... thanks a lot Homer! I laughed so hard, you made me spray pop all over my keyboard... :-)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4285
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing can't feel good about this, because it's yet another candidate to split the ranks of the anti-incumbency. I mean, he can't possibly think he has a shot a winning. He came in sixth place (out of nine) when he was elected back in 2005.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3131
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Kenyatta, who I used to dismiss as being a total buffoon, has grown on me a little bit. (Maybe what I really need is a good topical fungicide.) Still, as Mayor Kwame Kenyatta? No, I'm not gonna go for that...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6809
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if he'd make a good mayor but I'll say that I was mighty impressed with him and his stance against the OTHER Kwame in town when it counted.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching.....

Do you think enough elections have been scheduled?

Mzsuzuki
Username: Mzsuzuki

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't he on the school board?....hmmmmmmmm

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Ravine, I used to dismiss Kenyatta as just another uninformed, misguided, community activist. But I have talked with him and watched him take incredibly sane positions while on this incredibly insane council and his knowledge of issues, as well as his ability to research infomation, has impressed me. With Bing and Cockrell both bottoming out, I expect him to be a factor in the real Mayorality Race.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see Kenyatta as president of the council. A mistake that people sometimes make is that they see a successful councilperson and think that can be transferred to the mayors office. I've seen people like Erma Henderson who was very popular as a councilperson just get blown out the water as a mayor candidate. Even though its all politics, there are some different skill sets involved in running the city and being one of nine council people.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a few posters have similar feelings to my own. I hate to admit, at first I thought of Kenyatta as just another addition to the City Clowncil. But I was wrong, I believe he is one of our best City Council members and I wish he would stay on the council and try to become the Council President. I think Kenyatta as the Council President and the new mayor (assuming KC or DB) could make a HUGE difference for the city.

Kenyatta, please stay in the City Council, I think that is where you can do the most good. Heck, if you leave the council...who will fill your spot on the council, another person with no qualifications, but name recognition.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Mr. Kenyatta running for Mayor, that means that he will not be running for City Council. No doubt Ken Cockrel will also be running for Mayor on the August Primary.

Those who want a complete overhaul of CC should take note: 2 down, 7 to go.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a little disappointed with his decision. He had a good shot at being council president. I doubt though that I would support him for his run for mayor.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4290
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, if we can get Monica to throw her hat in that's three. And, since Martha does everything Monica does, that'd be four. :-)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. I'd say that Bing's a shoe-in if the Kenyatta runs..Monica's loyal followers are already in the Bing camp, and they surely wouldn't desert to run to her arch-nemisis Kenyatta..on the other hand, folks who respect Cockrel's level headed demeanor see the same quality in Kenyatta..
Which side of the vote do YOU think will be split?
My bet is that Kenyatta would walk away with enough Cockrel votes to give Bing the win.

(Message edited by ZRX_Doug on March 17, 2009)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4292
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking to me? I already said that Kenyatta isn't going to pull away pro-incumbent voters, at least not more than he's going to peel away soft Bing supporters. Kenyatta is bad news for Bing, not Cockrel. Any additional candidate in the race hurts the biggest opposition candidate (in this case, Bing) trying to oust incumbency.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you not notice who pulled the most numbers in the last vote?
Hint:
It wasn't the incumbent.

KC isn't a "real" incumbent..he's an "incumbent by default." He actually rode into office on the coat-tails of Kwame Kilpatrick, his polar opposite, remember?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4293
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In practice, he's a real incumbent, and it's exactly how Bing is running against him, period. Bing isn't running an anti-Kilpatrick campaign, because he knows he'd lose if he did. I think the special primary showed that Bing has quite a bit more soft support than Cockrel, as the polling and results didn't synch up (Bing didn't end as well as he was polled to). Cockrel has a larger bloc of solid supporters as the incumbent and as the known quantity in city politics than Bing does, thus any extra competition in the race ultimately hurts the incumbents chief opposition (Bing).

If anyone thinks any measurable number of Cockrel's supporters would split for Kenyatta, they are crazy. And, if even I entertain the idea that no measurable number of Bing supporters would split for Kenyatta (and after the mini-scandals involving Bing, I'm not so sure that that couldn't happen), the effect would be that Kenyatta would have little-to-no effect on the race, at all. Simply put, Kenyatta doesn't hurt Cockrel one bit. Whether he hurts Bing or not is actually a plausible question.

All that said, this is still very much Bing's to lose, I think. But, who knows where Hendrix voters are going to go in the end.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 17, 2009)

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still all up in the air for November regardless. Whoever loses the May election may decide to step out of the "real" race if they take enough of a beating..me, I'd like to see a Cockrel/Hendrix race come November, but that's just my fantasy world..
:-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4295
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the special general election coming up in May, too, will essentially decide the November general. I mean, it'd be ridiculous for the city to elect one guy and then choose the other a few months later. Whoever wins May essentially wins November, that is, unless the reanimated corpse of Coleman A. Young finds his way into the race. I'm really loving all of the political dynamics coming into place, this year. It's already produced a better grade of upper-tier municipal candidates than we've seen in many years.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to re-tract my statements...he is a perfect fit for the City Clowncil.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090317/M ETRO/903170366

I don't understand any valid reason he should be able to walk away and not think he is wrong...

It is not like he lost his job or had to take a huge pay cut...am I missing something in this story.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's one thing to get behind in bills, but Kenyatta's house looks like crazyville.

Can't he afford grass seed? Why does he have an 8 ft fence? $30 buck in in quickcrete could solve his driveway issue.

Not taking care of your place is a huge middle finger to your neighbors.

chez kenyatta

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This home is located in Rosedale Park and is a lovely neighborhood. Most people have some pride of ownership and take good care of their places. They can't be happy about the way this home looks....that doesn't help their property values either.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.