Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 'The Projects' on E Nevada between Mt. Elliot & Van Dyke « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Joycemt
Username: Joycemt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember this government housing from the 40's and 50's? It was shut down and demolished in the late 50's I believe. Did it have a specific name? I've searched fruitlessly on the internet for info, pictures. No luck.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this thread: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/73103.html

There might be some information toward the bottom half.

Joycemt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, bless you! You posted an aerial of the exact place I was looking for. Lived there (6507 E Nevada)from @1944-1952. My Dad qualified for public housing because he was doing war work for Ford, and we were a BIG family of five kids. I remember the Lutheran School for the Deaf to the east, and the railroad track was our neighbor to the west. Just past the tracks on Nevada, going west, was a plant (Awrey's - not the bakers) where my Mom worked for a while. A train on the track siding caught fire one year, and it was loaded with CHEETOS. Boy did we salvage a lot of them! The huge green space in the center of the project was the scene of summer ball games and winter skating. I'd love to get a closer shot of this photo. And I guess this particular project didn't have a name, since no one can recall it.
"The Projects" on E Nevada between Mt. Elliot & Van Dyke

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joycemt. I was your next door neighbor and inquired of Detroit Yes about the same housing project in 2007. Check the archives and you'll find more. Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Housing Project East Nevada.

Donna

Joycemt

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Donna. Your picture of you and your sister at least showed our building unit. Email me at joycemt@aol.com?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.