Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Full Day with Nothing to Do « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a full day to explore our wonderful city without distraction. I figured I'd focus out some new developments going on around the city as opposed to wallowing in the most recently closings. Any suggestions for newish places, stores, restaurants etc. that I should visit?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go have lunch at the Ivanhoe, not really new though
http://www.ivanhoecafe-pyc.com /pycmain.html

Deandub11

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of your help everyone! I had a great day based on all of the suggestions that poured in!

www.DetroitArmy.com

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps if you had thought to post this before the day you had off you may have had more luck.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude.....Detroit's best assets were built over fifty years ago...plus. Go get a crepe or a BBQ sandwich at Slow's. Want something fresh and hip? Get a plane ticket!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 821
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Said the boy who probably never comes to the city to do anything. So why exactly are you on this forum you have nothing positive to contribute, shouldn't you have better things to do. Like wait in line to see Jay Leno.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburbanbliss . . . I live in the Suburbs as well ( Rochester Hills eventhough I wish I lived in Midtown Detroit!!) and the suburbs SUCK!! compared to Detroit.

We Need more positive people on this Forum!!

The glass is Half Full!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suburban bliss, what do you have within 3 miles of your house in your neighborhood that compares to Detroit's entertainment and nightlife? I live in Midtown, and within a three mile radius I have several world-class theaters, two sports arenas, countless bars, great restaurants, and four museums... not to mention several parks, the Riverwalk, fun & cheap stores, and world-renowned architecture. Care to tell me what's around you?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...and the suburbs SUCK!! compared to Detroit."

Well, at least you're using the correct words to be on the city council.

Put me down for upgrading your chances of winning a council seat from zero to slightly better than a snowballs chance in hell.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Gsgeorge!! I ENVY the people who live in Detroit!!

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't all be haters. We suburbanites certainly fuel all of the above mentioned venues with our cash, not to mention art and sport stars. Do it all on your own and then extol how self sufficient you are. Detroit was built and is sustained by the suburban populous, not by a few urban schwarma eatin' fools. See y'all at the Park Bar for a fabulous downtown dinner, or at Cranbrook for a real class event.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburban...

Do you drive a Prius by any chance?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 823
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit was built and is sustained by the suburban populous..."

So where did you read this in your history books that the suburbs predate and allowed the city of Detroit to develop, because that right there is a massive revision of history. Suburbs by definition are built at the edge of an urban area i.e. Detroit. I am so glad you understand urban structure. The suburbs may have more influence but I still doubt that with out the core city of Detroit the suburbs would still exist. Each city in a region is interdependent on other cities in a region. There is no such thing as a closed system and totally self sustainable city, yet that is.

Deandub11

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just messing around, but suburban if you would like to know, I did have a very nice day. I had a great lunch in the patio area of le petit zinc. Had a great cup of espresso and yes suburban I did have a crepe which was excellent. Place was very busy.

Then went to bookies to check out the new digs. Top floor wasn't done and I was told the menu, both beer and food, were not yet complete. No local brews yet. Place did look great though and that deck should be fun in the summer.

I then watched the continued demolition of everything in the new bookies' vicinity. Does anyone know what the building currently being knocked down in that area is (not chin)? Can't remember the cross streets.

Then walked over to motor city brewing works and had a beer.

Finally went to bob's classic kicks at forest and woodward and bought a new pair of sneakers. I'm glad they are still open, but I have no idea how that place has been in business for so long.

Only got to experience two "new" places in zinc and bookies, but a satisfying day nonetheless.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We recently had a day to play...a Wednesday in early March. Here's the rundown of our day:

Breakfast at Le Petit Zinc..the crepes were delish and the ambience very nice!!

Detroit Institute of Arts...wandered about for 2 1/2 hours admiring some remarkable works of art!!

Lunch at Eph's! Missed Histeric and Gannon, but enjoyed our sandwiches!!

Over to Plymouth to visit their Historical Museum's world-class Lincoln exhibit!!! If you haven't been there, you should plan a visit.

Dinner at Dick O'Dow's in Birmingham...courtesy of a (Christmas) gift certificate. The food was excellent!!!

Then off to Meadow Brook Theatre for "Kong's Night Out," a hilarious play starring Cindy Williams and her Laverne & Shirley co-star Eddie Mekka (aka Carmine).

Topped off the evening with a jam session at The Cornerstone (on Jos. Campau and Atwater(?)), followed by another jam session at The New Way Inn in Ferndale.

Then, some 19 hours after we started, stopped for reakfast at National Coney Island in Royal Oak.

It was a great Play Day in metro Detroit!!! Just our way of stimulating the economy for a few local businesses and cultural institutions!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5119
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then, some 19 hours after we started

Kathleen, I am in awe of your energy level.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

That is an AWESOME day. I need one of those right now.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pam and Drankin21! We had been considering a couple of days out of town, but decided that our money was better spent locally! It really was a fun day!!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K: Have you considered conducting "tours" of Detroit entertainment events, similar to the architecture tours conducted by my former high school teacher, Stewart McMillin?

I am so anxious to find a damned job, so that we can afford "days out" like you described.
Haven't been to the New Way in way too long!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B: I'm a Preservation Wayne tour guide on the Cultural Center tour (Saturday mornings from May through September). That's my main tour focus.

I occasionally lead private tours when the opportunity arises. But I am working fulltime (and more) these days so the extra tours are few and far between.

In addition, I've done some event planning similar to what Dave and I did for weekend birthdays celebrations. That's what makes the day, knowing what you are going to do ahead of time rather than trying to come up with your next move.

BTW...I know Stewart. He just checked in with me last week...home from a world tour!!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K: I should have guessed. Stewart was a very young teacher, and a female friend of mine had quite a crush on him. That was many moons ago...
Thought we might have run into you and Dave at the Lyman memorial at Cliff Bells. It was a nice show, in memory of a nice man.
Congratulations on your decision to spend your money locally. Lots of interesting things can be found right here!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B: Dave was at the Lyman Woodard tribute at Cliff Bell's. But he didn't go down until pretty late, which was too late for me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.