Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Public Access Skyscrapers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While enjoying a beautiful weekend down at Belle Isle and scanning the Detroit skyline, I realized that I've never really been in any of our great buildings save for the Ren Cen (MANY years ago).

So, I'm wondering, what buildings downtown/New Center area where I can just walk in, check out the architecture, maybe check out some shops inside if they have any, head up to the top floor and get a peek outside, maybe?

Heck, can you even do that anymore in the Ren Cen?

Thanks!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should go to the Guardian building, its by far the most impressive lobby I've ever seen. I don't know about access to the upper floors though.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guardian and Fisher are the best. Also stop in Cadillac Place, Penobscot, Compuware, and the building adjacent to Fishbone's (forgot the name) to see their huge waterfall.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree the Guardian and Fisher buildings!

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Guardian between 10:00am and 2:00pm weekdays and ask for Christopher at the front desk. He gives tours from the vaults in the basement to the thirty-second floor conference room. I've said it before, but Chris is one of those people that really make Detroit great, don't skip the tour.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building adjacent to Fishbone's is the Old Shillelagh, no waterfall there:-) The International Center (former D.M. Ferry building) houses Fishbone's as well as the eight story waterfall. Unfortunately the waterfall has been out of comission for going on two years now.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about that the other day. What's up with that waterfall????????

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.