Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Border crossing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New requirements will begin June 1, 2009, for those crossing the border.
We have always enjoyed a quick and courteous interaction on the Canadian side, but have run into rudeness on this side twice. Will the new document requirement make things easier or worse? Any thoughts?

(Message edited by Bobl on March 16, 2009)

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One will always experience good ol' American rudeness when coming back to America. But I am glad they're finally putting this action, I can use my passport more often.

I think it will be better, because before you had to present 2 or more pieces of ID, now you have to present a pasport or the WHTI card...so instead a family of 4 presenting 8 pieces, straight down to 4 pieces of ID.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think it will be better, because before you had to present 2 or more pieces of ID, now you have to present a pasport"

If you crossed the border today with a passport you don't need 2 ID's. That statement doesn't make any sense.

For us, the new requirements suck!

If passports are still $100, it will cost $400 for us just to go see Grandma for her birthday this year. I just don't have an extra $400 right now.

I saw something about "passport cards" that I'm going to look into. They are cheaper. Maybe I can do it for about $200...but still...it sucks.

Of course Grandma is worth $200-$400, but we've taken a huge hit with pay reductions and increased health insurance deductions and we just don't have "extra" money right now to pay for this shit.

Midwesthostage
Username: Midwesthostage

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually think the passport cards are like $20. (I need to renew mine so I was looking into it.)

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thames, I meant for those families who couldn't afford 4 passports, like yours, they would have to present each at least 2 pieces of ID. As for family, there were 7 of us...14 pieces of ID given to the border guard, it's too hectic. Now a family of 7, who does have passports, don't have to hassle with so much paperwork.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have Passport cards. They are very nice and very handy, as we are frequent visitors to Canada. I have family there. They are nice to keep in your wallet, rather than lugging around the cumbersome passport book. I cross every weekend at a minimum, sometimes I go during the week. When I'm by myself, I use my NEXUS and it rocks during the day.

I believe the Passport cards were only $20.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our family is in the same boat. We don't want to spend $100 each to renew our passports for a day trip to Point Pelee or dinner at the Cook's Shop. It looks like we can get enhanced drivers licenses or state ID's in the spring, but they don't say exactly when. I don't think they are available yet.

http://www.michigan.gov/som/0, 1607,7-192--201573--,00.html

Bobl

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passport Cards:

The card costs $45 for a first-time adult passport applicant and $35 for all minor applicants under age 16, regardless of whether they are previous passport book or card holders. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal by mail and pay only $20.
We have a cottage rented on Lake Huron in Ontario in May. That will probably be our last trip to Canada for quite a while.
Ironically, according to recent news reports, it is easier now to forge a passport than most state driver's licenses and IDs!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to absolutely demolish casual trade between the US and Canada, and further wreck the economy, and absolutely nobody is considering changing the requirements.

Typical Federal clusterfuck.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3878
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I applied for and received my Passport card. Together with the passport photo, the fees were approximately $65.00 (I can't find my receipt or I'd tell you for sure). That's for processing, the card, the photos, application, etc. It's good for 10 years for adults and 5 years for those under 16. You can enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. NOT good for International air travel.

You can fill out the forms online and take them to a US Post Office (that takes photos) and they will take your picture there. Less hassle, because if the photo is taken elsewhere and it doesn't meet their requirement, then you have to have it retaken (more money). This way, if you have it taken at the Post Office, if the first one doesn't turn out the correct way, they will take another one, no charge.

I used the Clawson post Office because that one is hardly ever really busy. Plus, it's close by my sister's house! :-)

To fill out your forms online go here:

http://travel.state.gov/passpo rt/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I live in Ontario and I received my card in less than 2 weeks. And it is WAY LESS hassle at the border. I highly recommend it if you're not into traveling overseas and especially not planning to within the next 10 years - Passport Lite (card) is the way to go.

And Grandma will love you for it!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POLICE STATE!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "This is going to absolutely demolish casual trade between the US and Canada, and further wreck the economy, and absolutely nobody is considering changing the requirements."

Same thing I was just thinking. I know Duffy's at Amherstburg really took a hit after 9-11. They must be practically dead now. They did a huge trade with the US boaters for many years. The OPP is probably loving it. They got pretty tired of Americans coming over and trashing their side of the river. Burning boats and painting graffiti on the shoreline.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3882
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe you me - I hate this more than anyone. When this crap was first announced, I wrote letters to any official that I could obtain an address for.

My parents are in their late 70s and early 80s and they love to visit our house. They've never had a passport and I hate the fact they have to put out the money to get theirs. With their health insurance and taxes and, well every other thing going up in price, and now this.

The extra cost for obtaining this in order to cross borders that needed very little, if any ID at all, just a mere 20-30 years ago - just doesn't sit real well with me. All we had to do was give a verbal declaration of our citizenship and be on our way.

Since 2001 when the administration let our home guard senses down - all our fun was taken away. Our shores were attacked and now the US won't even trust their own citizens. That's what it boils down to.

And Duffy's has taken a huge hit. There are ever and ever fewer boats on the river and on Lake Erie. Either because of the high gas prices - or the passport deal. Take your pick.

Bobl

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, while we are required to go through the hassle and spend cash, there will be a thriving black market on counterfeit passports that will be used by the "evil doers".
Meanwhile, our jobs will continue to go to Mexico, India, Romania, and China.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a war at the Mexican border but just try to get ribs at TBQ without your passport.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3917
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update - just found my receipt for my Passport Card which I obtained by going to the US Post Office. Here's the rundown:

USPS Passport Fee - $25.00
Photo Services Fee - 15.00
Domestic Money Order 20.00
Dom. Money Order Fee 1.05

Ease at the border - Priceless

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. This is becoming a BIG problem in my neck of the woods, what with the Winter Olympics coming to Vancouver, B.C. next year, and the tourist trade between the U.S. Pacific Northwest and British Columbia.

I don't know if this is a concern with the Michigan border crossings, but there's an economic problem, too. Many Canadians cross the border to shop in the U.S. because of cheaper prices. A Wal-Mart manager in Omak, WA...about 40 miles south of the border....told me once he figures 20% of his trade is Canadian., and he's afraid that the new border crossing regulations are going to kill his cross border business......

Bobl

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know when the new "Enhanced" Michigan Driver's License will be available?

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently we are the only state that has applied to issue EDLs that has not actually started issuing them yet......

http://bulktransporter.com/man agement/tank-truck/cross-borde r-identification-requirements- 0302/

"Spring" was the last I heard, but can't find any more specific information.....

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Spring" was the last I have heard for Michigan to start issuing EDLs as well.

We are keeping track of this because we plan some short trips to Ontario this year, and do not want to get passports for the whole family.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm - it is the same here. My in-laws are Canadian and they've decided they will not get a passport. They said it is too much of a hassle for them as well as costly. They don't want to deal with it so they'll just stay home. They are making their final trips in these next few months to visit their favorite restaurants and shops. But they said that will be it...forever!

Can you imagine - if my inner group of about 25 are doing that; how many others here will?

My husband applied for and received his Canadian passport. He did it because I still have tons of family and friends in the States and I'm American.

It just rankles me that we have to do this. Did Washington State get those special enhanced driver's licenses? I've not heard another thing about Michigan drivers getting them.

Cross border business...that will drop off so much.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vermont Washington and New York are already issuing EDLs......

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you have to pay to leave the U.S. now?

I wish we were as free as some European countries are.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is absolutely insane that we have this border between paranoia us. We have been at peace for 195 years, allies in countless wars including the current Afghan war and the huge trading partners.

If Germany and France, two countries that butchered millions of each others youth in the last century, can have an open border why can't we? Urge your federal members of congress / parliament to negotiate such a treaty between two great friends.

Bobl

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go again, Lowell.
Stop making sense......

Doe anyone, anywhere, think that this requirement will contribute anything to the security of either country?
It will create a hassle and unnecessary expense. I suppose it might make things easier for the border officers, requiring less time to look at several IDs, but anyone wishing to do harm will certainly obtain forged documents.
Perhaps another incremental step toward "Big Brother".

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Exactly! ^^

Those were a few of the points I touched upon in my many letters to anyone I could get an address for throughout these past few years.

Anyone wanting to get into either country will do so whether they have the proper document or not.

It's just to make the border officer's job easier is what it boils down to.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the new requirements begins June 1st,that means we now got to show them passports now instead of birth certificate and ID??That sucks but if I get a passport card, how long it's gonna take? It won't be long before my friends and I start hanging back over to Windsor for the summer weekends!

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't very long ago that Americans didn't even need passports. Now we are supposed to he grateful that it only costs $65 for paperwork to go to Windsor.

"A law of May 22, 1918, permitted the President, when the United States was at war, to proclaim a passport requirement, and a proclamation was issued on August 18, 1918. Though World War I ended on November 11, 1918, the passport requirement lingered until March 3, 1921. The contemporary period of required passports for Americans, under United States law, began on November 29, 1941. -Wikipedia

Here is a new ad extolling the virtues of the new NAU card. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jQzHXxDBoiE&feature=channel

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, yup
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driversl icense/edlproof.html

I find the border guards in Blaine & B.C. to be great, must be the feng shui of the Peace Arch;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P eace_Arch

My experiences with that Windsor Children's Choir they pass off as Border Peeps in Onterrible to remind me to stick to Vancouver, the Canucks play better than the Maple Leafs anyway

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nellonfury - once the application for a passport card is sent off it takes about 2 weeks for it to arrive to your mailbox.

Thanks for the update Flyingj.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Eriedearie!!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have five in our family, and it's just not worth the extra money to buy passports, or any other kind of ID which will cost us more money.

So, we simply won't go to Canada anymore.

My suspicion is that there are hundreds of thousands of people who will similarly just stop crossing the border.

I've tried to make inquiries about this, and have tried to explain to (for instance) Senator Levin's office as to what a disaster this will be, and frankly nobody gives a shit.

This will be an economic catastrophe of epic proportions, and nobody fucking cares at all.

If I had any shock left in me, which I don't, I'd be shocked.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 997
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nothing against Canada and against passports in general, Yet I do find the idea of having to get a passport to get over the bridge kinda dumb.The last time I was in Windsor which was almost 2 yrs ago Downtown looked deserted unlike the days of my youth.If I want to go to see my cousin in Toronto I guess I'll have to go before June or pay $$. Business round here will suffer. I can allways be certain I'll see a few cars with Ontario plates any time I go to the Eureka Rd shoping strip.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 998
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Btw, 2 YRS AGO, I got a phone call from my cousin in northern Michigan. She heard that she needed a passport then. She was almost in tears, cause with 5 kids her, and the husband it would be no trip to StoryBook Gardens for the kids. They went then, but I think I,D better tip her off.There are things at the grocery store in Canada that you can't get here' So my extended family will have to stock up.So much for that.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to be in Canada a lot because my husband worked for the Canadian Feds. But border crossings are such a royal pain now we haven't been over to Windsor except one business meeting last summer. It's hard to believe that US customs makes it so hard to return to your own country.

My brother and his family are in Canada most weekends. Five kids, two adults, it is a shame they have to pony up so much money just to see relatives.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriederie....
....yes, the enhansed drivers license is available here in Washington. The state Department of Licensing is advertising them heavily on television.....

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I filled out the apps on line, but found that my PO requires appointments to submit them. In addition to the total $45 fee, there will be a photo fee.

The most annoying thing about all this protectionism or whatever it is, is how long it takes to cross the border back into the US. We were going to Petrolia, so crossed over at the Bluewater Bridge. The line waiting to come back into the US was over a mile long in the early afternoon. We decided to come back via ferry at Sombra/Marine City after hearing there was a two hour wait at the bridge. Wow! I think we got through the border in 40 minutes, including a brief wait for the ferry, a pleasant ride, and about ten minutes waiting at the gate and having our papers processed. It was a lot more pleasant than sitting an hour or two on the freeway waiting to go over the bridge.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent my passport renewal last week. I feel for families trying to get across to see loved ones. For an individual, it's not too bad. After all, it IS good for 10 years for adults. Now I'm wondering if my cousins will bring their kids over for American Thanksgiving like they have the past 5 years. I'll really miss them if they don't come.

Bobl

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe: The ferry at Walpole Island to Algonac is another alternative to the Bridge. We happened to be in Grand Bend, Ontario on Sept 11, 2001. Told our fellow motel guests about the ferry. Saved hours, as there was confusion and anger at the bridge, which was lined up for a mile or two. The wait at the ferry was 20 minutes.

From the stupid is as stupid does category:
The driver in the pickup in front of us, with West Virginia plates, had an unregistered handgun and a shotgun aboard....not a wise decision on such a bad day. State Police were arriving as we were cleared.

We are going to miss our numerous trips to the great beaches and towns along Lake Huron in Ontario.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3926
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Nellonfury!

Thanks for the update for Washington State Douglasm. Wonder why Michigan is dragging their feet on it?

It's all another government money grubbing tactic. At least that's the way I see it.

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A $50 one-time outlay (for NEXUS - hopefully the state-issued ID will be cheaper) is not going to cause me to write off Canada forever. Hopefully, the folks who claim it will are just being dramatic.

In the long run, the requirement will absolutely speed up border times and make crossing easier for everyone. Both governments claim to be unworried about the long-term impact on trade. Canada's real (and justified) concern is with the new inspections being imposed on all agricultural imports.

Canada are our closest friends and our biggest trading partner by leaps and bounds. But with lax borders, we're relying on them to keep us safe to a degree that the government apparently wasn't comfortable with. A one-ID system doesn't seem like such a heavy price to pay for a strengthened and more autonomous security.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The border crossings haven't been too bad lately in terms of traffic and wait times - they're not the hassle people make them out to be. I'm Canadian and usually the American guards are pleasant and just ask a bunch of irrelevant questions about my job, relationships with passengers, etc.

I don't understand why they'd be so hard on Americans coming back into their own country though. Usually when I'm crossing back in to Canada, the officers just wave me through once I tell them I'm Canadian and didn't buy anything (without even showing any id). There have even been a couple times where I flashed my Canadian passport, the officer nodded, and that was it - no questions at all.

(Message edited by Blitz on March 23, 2009)

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why all the fuss, it's not like Canada's another country or something...........

To be fair, Canadian Immigration can be just as troublesome as our people. I used to work in Windsor and crossed at the tunnel every day at the same time and got the same woman every time and she forced me to produce my original work permit every time and questioned me every time as to why my company vehicle had Canadian plates. She knew darn well that I was legally authorized to come into her country and that I worked for a Canadian company - I laughed most days, but sometimes it was more than annoying.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop bitching and educate youselves on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

quote:

U.S. citizens: A passport issued by the U.S. Government, a passport card, a valid trusted traveler program card (FAST, NEXUS, or SENTRI), an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), a Military ID with official travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document.

Canadian citizens: A passport issued by the Government of Canada, a valid trusted traveler program card (FAST, NEXUS, or SENTRI), or an EDL.

U.S. and Canadian children under the age of 16 will be able to present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State tourism expected to take hit in economic fallout
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090323/NEWS06/90323033/State+ tourism+expected+to+take+hit+i n+economic+fallout

The above article does not even make any mention of WHTI kicking in June 1st.

Divided we fall: the Detroit-Windsor area is looking at tough times for tourism in the forseeable future.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, no kidding toolbox, this part here negates about half of the whining in this thread

quote:

U.S. and Canadian children under the age of 16 will be able to present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record I've found the US border guards a little better as of late at the land crossings.

I just flew back yesterday from Europe, and cleared into the US via Boston Logan. The US CPB officers in Boston were far friendlier than any at the Windsor-Detroit border. Same goes for the Airport US Customs officers in Vancouver.

I think it's just something to do with land crossings, or this crossing in particular. (Port Huron is about the same IMO)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about also educating yourselves on the costs of the passports and pass cards?

Passports (16 and older) = $100
Passports (16 and younger) = $85
Passport cards (16 and older) = $45
Passport Cards (16 and younger) = $35

If all you and your family needs are Passport Cards (good for US to Canada, Mexico , Bermuda and the Caribbean), sure doesn't seem that expensive. Especially since the kids don't require the cards by land.

Also consider the passport and cards are good for 10 years for adults and 5 years for kids, so factor the per year cost and it really isn't expensive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.