Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » White in a Black Neighborhood, by Hugh Simpson » Archive through March 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6m45iQdMAj4&feature=related

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =z3TuqsRSWxc&feature=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GbjMuZyHFcM&feature=related

Does this seem like most of the good neighborhoods in Detroit?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't look anything like any part of Detroit. Looks more like Southfield or Farmington Hills.

BTW, I love the narration in that video. "Oh my god, look how well these black people keep up their houses! No crackheads anywhere! Who would have thought black people could live in such a nice neighborhood! I guess the old stereotypes about black neighborhoods aren't true after all!"

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is going to be interesting.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the purpose of this? The YouTube clips were just dumb. White in a Black Neighborhood!!! You would think this is something new...LOL

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhhh... he's actually living near negroes!! What a daring fellow!!

I've seen this goofiness before. As a white person who grew up in a largely black neighborhood and went to almost entirely black schools back in the 60s and 70s, and has warm memories and several friends from those days, it feels just on the edge of being offensive in its earnest cluelessness. Reminds me a bit of that old movie where James Whitmore plays a reporter who puts shoe polish on his face to find out what it's like to be black.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 844
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Speaking as a veteran "white dude in a black neighborhood," all I can say is, wow.

Where did this guy come from, Mayberry? Did he really think all the folks with darker skin were gonna dress like Huggy Bear, drink 40 oz's on the stoop, drive purple Coupe DeVilles, and attempt to shoot him or sell him drugs & sex?

I was a friggin' naive transplant from Farmington when I moved back to Detroit in '88, but even I realized that PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE.
Creeps come in all colors, and happily, so do nice folks..

I hope this guy manages to lose his media-bred education and blend like a normal human being..but I'd guess if his neighbors ever get wind of this lame-assed series of videos he'll be doing it in another part of town.
Just, wow.

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a lot of people we talked to think Detroit is off limits to whites. Maybe this is only a problem in the country? I agree with you guys, that it's silly. But racism is alive in some places. Would whites you know in many all white places be willing to move to an mostly black city, how about send their kids to an all black school? I was under the impression that Detroit was self segregated.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was under the impression that Detroit was self segregated.

You might want to read up on the history of the FHA, redlining, restrictive covenants, etc. The federal government, along with the real estate industry, did a great deal, in the first half of the 20th century, to advance the notion that racially integrated neighborhoods were undesirable. To me, that's where all this started. Good old-fashioned bigotry isn't all that hard to overcome, once you get to know your neighbors and realize that they're actually perfectly nice people, but it's a lot harder to see it that way when your neighborhood just got redlined and your property values are falling down the shitter because a black guy bought the house on the corner.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You might want to read up on the history of the FHA, redlining, restrictive covenants, etc.

Specifically, you might want to read The Origins of the Urban Crisis by Thomas Sugrue:

http://www.amazon.com/Origins- Urban-Crisis-Inequality-Prince ton/dp/0691121869/ref=pd_bbs_s r_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=123691 9890&sr=8-1

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Shadesofbleu but I have to break down your statement to respond to it. No disrespect.

We had a lot of people we talked to think Detroit is off limits to whites.
Since there are Whites who do live in the city of Detroit, this would be false.

Maybe this is only a problem in the country?
Not sure what you meant. Were you saying that this was a problem only in this country?

I agree with you guys, that it's silly.
Something we agree on. "White in a Black Neighborhood" is silly.

But racism is alive in some places.
Racism is alive in many places but it is not going to stop me from doing what I need to do.

Would whites you know in many all white places be willing to move to an mostly black city, how about send their kids to an all black school?
Now this is a toughie. IMO, if they are moving to the current Detroit where new housing developments are rare, where the school is in the toilet, the answer is no. But if Detroit was building new homes, the school system had stable leadership and good teachers then I would believe they would if it benefitted them.

I was under the impression that Detroit was self segregated. This statement really irritated me. Self segregated!! That's a first but there has been cases of self segregated. Dearborn during the reign of Orville Hubbard and after comes to mind. Keep Dearborn White!!!! Remember the law about non-residents (code for Detroiters) could not go to their parks back in the 80's

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at all the comments for the first video, the submitter says it is a suburb of Atlanta.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very good points made throughout... I like what's being discussed on this thread

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the youtube profile on this "hugh" person:

Investigative reporter doing story on foreclosures in African American communities decides to live in one where he is a minority white.

I'm just wondering why he chose to do an 'investigative report' on those particular foreclosures - as if foreclosures were different depending on your race??? Foreclosures are happening all over the country in every community, from the richest to the poorest and to all races. I don't see the point in focusing on one race because this economy doesn't have a color. And Made-Off took care of those who weren't affected by the economy.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread will conjure up a lot of 'politically correct' rhetoric, although the video and it's racist tone ought not surprise most.

To be sure, most 'basic-white people' will bear 'living in a Black neighborhood' with a badge of honor of some sort. The reality is, due to amerikkkas' past de-facto regulations, it is typically by choice, or privilege, or duty for 'them' to navigate within the Black experience. The 'right' or 'privilege' to navigate freely along the road of preference with little hostility has been established way back in time within the guise of white-supremacy and the rules attached to it.

In fact, the syndrome of white supremacy relating to the dominate society and their de-facto freedoms, perceptions and beliefs, is so fundamental that EVEN most Black Africans living in amerikkka' that witness just a single white person (regardless of economics/class/status etc.) will welcome the white person into our village(s) and that so-called deviant occurrence is naively believed to be considered 'neighborhood renewal' by 'us',(or white people are moving in, things are changing for the better)__to be sure, that particular sickening doctrine has been imposed and transmitted within the Black and white psychic via the syndrome of white supremacy.

So then, as we read through the simpatico and political correct responses that this thread will reflect about amerikkkas' naive glory about defeating racism and living amongst the Black experience, we ought to stay tuned to the reality of amerikkkas' racist past and the rules that are innately attached to it__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
*Founding member of the BJL...please check in.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's in DeKalb, Georgia. It does look exactly like some streets in Southfield though.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't read through that load of crap above without a guidebook, BSX. I'll tell you what. Just say that you don't want any "basic white people living around you then. Simple enough.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4554
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that video context on you tube. That caucausian amateur only dicuss about the racial enviroment of why a white family live a black neighborhood but not the rest of the racial risks.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biksoul x - You love to say controversial things don't you? Do you really believe what you write or do you just like to get people thinking?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought, again, in my humble opinion, that the man was trying to dispell any stereotypes and lables put on black neighborhood.....

I didn't see any malice, his intent was to show and share his happiness about his new house and neighbors as well as taking pride in his home....

I guess I missed what everyone else "saw" Jane

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul is an example of what is holding America back from better racial relations. Yes there are whites who may be just as bitter and racist as you are.

Whites -the vast majority of them don't care about race. Many voted for Obama when they had a perfectly qualified and honest white alternative.

blksoul is not intelligent enough to know how his attitude and post hurts his city and the Blacks ( and whites) who hope for better things. The more of this garbage people see, the less they will want to move to Detroit ( or stay).

I live on the Texas Coast. My county is 20% Hispanic and about 2% Black. When I got here 11 years ago we hired a Black Superintendent of schools. Obama got about 20x the Black vote in this solidly GOP county. I'm Jewish and we are less than 1/10 of 1% here and I beat the President of our school board.

I've lived all over the country -originally from the east coast and no one talks or cares about ethnicity here. They do find other stupid things to discuss but at least race is not on people's minds.

Blaksoul you are a sad case - but you'll never realize it.

Danny

Post Number: 4555
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blacksoul_X,

Right on to that comment. Today they are fewer white folks are coming to Detroit from the suburbs to live in once full black communities.

The fast trend is happening in Washington D.C. when it's white population went from 15% in 1970 to 35% in 2008. St. Louis, Missouri and Oakland CA. sought the sudden resurgence of white folks coming to black neighborhoods. Newer generation of White folks, especially the hip cool skinny jeaned ones from generation X and Y are coming to urban black ghettos not just blacks folks are living there, its because of GENTRIFICATION of property values and this new trend will continue, but in a slow process, for 50 years until they get a foothold on this once black ghettohoods. White folks on day will reclaim their once hood that had became the black hoods.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny you have no clue about the demographics.

Yes whites come to washington DC as there are government jobs and organization jobs that employ white folks as well as Black. Real estate prices in white neighborhoods are exorbitant and not all whites are wealthy.

Oakland attracts people of all races in part because of its proximity to the University of California. Homes in Berkeley probably average $500k so once again teachers etc go where they can afford it.

Non one is flocking to Detroit. What is the attraction? Do they want to hear Blksoul and his elk rehash 1960's raps about race?

Show me the facts that demonstrate whites are moving into Detroit ! Or you can just keep on with the garbarge rhetoric. Maybe you can call me a white supremist and high-five blksoul!

Janesback

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, Houston here....I live in Houston and am proud of lots of things here. Its not perfect, but fortunately, I live in Montrose, a very diversified neighborhood, and no, Im not gay,,,,lol

Everyone assumes Im gay because I live in Montrose, again, another stereotype........

Hope the rebuilding continues in Galveston and things get back to normal for you guys...Jane

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX's post seems to boil down to 4 assertions:

1. White people think they're doing something "special" when they live in a majority black neighborhood.

2. Black people think their neighborhood is "special when it has even 1 white person living in it.

3. Points 1 and 2 exist because of the perception on both sides (black and white) that white people are superior.

4. Black people can't afford to let positive race relations lull them into complacency (i.e. don't forget the past)

Pretend that BSX did not post this and ask yourself whether there is any validity to any of these points.

Right off the bat of course, you have to reject the notion that all people in any particular group are motivated in the same way or think the same way.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_X,

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

O.

Danny

Post Number: 4557
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean2026 quoted Danny you have no clue about the demographics. Yes whites come to washington DC as there are government jobs and organization jobs that employ white folks as well as Black. Real estate prices in white neighborhoods are exorbitant and not all whites are wealthy.

I have a clue on ethnic demographics I read data the statistics from U.S. Census and World Almanacs.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh. Wow..I never knew I was "special" or that my mere presence made my neighborhood "special."

Gotta say nope..even posted in non-BSX rhetoric, that theory is still 100% bullshit. In my neighborhood, I'm just a guy..in fact, I'm "the guy who will fix your car for a beer or two." I've got lighter skin tone than "the guy who'll cut your grass when you're out of town" and "the lady who makes the killer lasagna," but the skin color doesn't seem to be an issue for folks who aren't wired like BSX.

Lowell, while we're on the topic, how much longer are ya gonna put up with this asshole and his "Amerikkka" bullshit?
Plainly and simply put, I have rather a deep love for my country, and am sick of seeing it disrespected by some wannabe intellectual who's stuck in 1960 Mississippi.
How long will his "basic white person" line continue to be tolerated?
How long would you tolerate a white supremacist screaming "nigger?"
What the fuck is the difference between the two?

Danny

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellas,

Blksoul_x's baised comments are series of documents from the African diaspora in the United States. What our structured society contends will be Blksoul_x's viewpoints. Its comments does uncrack the constant WHITE LIES and cover-ups of how America was shaped through conquest of the Europeans, expoitation of various Native America Tribes and the process of international slave trades. America is what it is today from these historical structured realities and we can't ignorant it. It's taught in our classrooms and being socially communicated to the masses.

WORLD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Freedom is not free. You all have to earn it by sacrificing your lives so that other generations may live and create an untopian structured society based upon morals and values.

Janesback

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZRX, you stated " Lowell, while we're on the topic, how much longer are ya gonna put up with this asshole and his "Amerikkka" bullshit"

Thank you, thank you for stating that

.......I confronted Racist black soul about this and he told me to take a hike when it come to spelling America with the "kkk" lettering

That is disrespectful to everyone here,

Black soul , remember this.......its this America that lets you type what you want , when you want it, where you want it......Its called freedom of speach, something hundreds of thousands people died for, so we can read you gibberish.

You do those folks, black, white Hispanic, red, yellow a sincere injustice.......

Danny

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are people playing RACE CARDS in this forum and it seems that Blksoul_x has the royal flush.