Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Bill Davidson RIP » Archive through March 14, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just In Bill Davidson has passed. RIP

Buckster1986
Username: Buckster1986

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Guy! Will be sorely missed.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No disrepect..but who is Bill Davidson ?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

owner of the Pistons and Shock

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davidson was best known for this sports teams but his fortune was made building Guardian Industries. He also was a significant donor to Jewish causes and the University of Michigan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W illiam_Davidson

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090313/SPORTS03/90313096/Bill +Davidson+dies+at+85

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa......

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad. I went to school with his kids, very down-to-earth people. With all of his success, Bill was still very active, humble and a model for team owners and businesspeople everywhere.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill was a MAJOR supporter of the State of Israel, and his name is in very prominent places in key areas in Jerusalem as a major financial backer. Despite the obvious Arab opposition, he funded excavations around the Temple Mount, to remind about and to strengthen the Jewish ties to the area. Israelis know of Detroit as a major supporter of the Zionist cause, in no small part because of Bill Davidson, as well as Max Fisher, David Hermelin and many others. May they all rest in peace.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP.

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but might this mean a distant future move to Detroit? As I recall, it was Bill who was so keen on Auburn Hills as the location of the Pistonians.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 868
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. The organization owns their own facility. Why Move?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"might this mean a distant future move to Detroit?"

No. The Palace was privately funded. Why would they give that up and the success that they've had to move to Detroit?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6803
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to remember that short little speech Bill Davidson gave after the Pistons won the championship. I don't remember the exact words but it wasn't exactly family fare and it was laced with some obscenity. But it also showed to me how much that championship meant to him, his team and how this guy was his own man. He was a smart savvy businessman- not just with Guardian, but with his entertainment empire.

He will be missed by a lot of people.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have much different and contrary memories of Bill Davidson. I'll let them slide out of respect for his passing at this time.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

He said something to the effect of

"A lot of people haven't given the Pistons credit all season...I say BullS***."

I'm paraphrasing the first part, but I def remember the last words.

RIP.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a side of Mr. Davidson that few people talked about

"Patient he may be, but Davidson is also a tough operator who's not afraid to be aggressive. In 1958, shortly after taking over Guardian, he snatched business from PPG Industries Inc. (PPG ) when workers at the Pittsburgh company were on strike. Over the years, rivals have sued Guardian for infringing on patents and stealing trade secrets. Davidson argued that some of the technologies were in the public domain but wound up paying millions in settlements. "As you move up the ladder," he says, "you're bound to have friction " quote from business week magazine

Part of his business model to get Guardian to the top was stealing trade secrets,stealing key employees from other companies for what they knew, then letting them go after he got what he needed.
He would go to court and often lose but he didn't mind because he now added to the knowledge of his company and he considered the millions in fines a cost of doing business.

Hockeycox1966
Username: Hockeycox1966

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you firstandten! You beat me to the punch. Bill Davidson was no saint by any means no matter what charity work he did. Stealing, cheating, and lying are the characteristics I simulate with Mr. Davidson.

On a lighter note though. Bigcab, Really? How are you on this message board and not know who Bill Davidson is? I just don't know how that is even possible.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nice to know what our business leaders are doing. The fact that Microsoft stole from open source programmers is interesting.

quote:

From its inception, Microsoft defined itself as a platform company and understood the importance of attracting third-party programmers. It did so by providing development tools, training, access to proprietary APIs in early versions, and partner programs. The solutions and plugins built by third-party programmers in turn led to more Microsoft sales.

(This is provided by Microsoft.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C riticism_of_Microsoft

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4185
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh - geez I crash-ed, Thanks Micro-so.......

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reply to Hockeycox :

To answer your question about not knowing who Bill Davidson is, I'm not a sports fan, so why would I know His name ?

Interesting to note that a few people here seem to have some recollection of the man that probably wont be mentioned in the eulogy.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was no fan of labor unions.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 1kielsonDrive.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5966
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Respect for the dead is over-rated.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love for someone to recap his explanation for moving the Pistons to Auburn Hills.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They first went to the Silverdome in 1978. They weren't drawing flies at Cobo. Their first year at the dome they almost doubled their previous years attendance when they played in downtown Detroit. They moved to the Palace in 1988.

During that era many NBA teams made the move to the suburbs. Many teams have since moved back downtown, but the Palace is a gold mine and there's very little chance of them moving.
Just compare the Palace to the JLA. They were only built a few years apart, but when you experience both venues you'd swear they were built decades apart.

The Palace was a groundbreaking arena when it was built in the late 80's. No arena had anywhere near as many luxury suites (180) with the first row of suites being that close to the floor.

(Message edited by rjk on March 14, 2009)

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but might this mean a distant future move to Detroit? As I recall, it was Bill who was so keen on Auburn Hills as the location of the Pistonians.

Ignoring that Bill Davidson's corpse isn't yet cold, that's just dumb. The Palace remains one of the premier venues in the country and one of the most profitable. By any objective financial assessment, the Pistons would be foolish to abandon it. There's also this little issue known as the global economic collapse. Who is going to lend money to build a sports arena in city hardest hit by the recession? Maybe Bank of America will finance the project once they finish with their downtown Detroit office tower.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Respect for the dead is over-rated.

You mean selective (based on your agenda).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Davidson and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

Any speculation about what this may or may not mean for the Pistons and/or the Palace is something that, in my opinion, should wait until after Mr. Davidson's funeral.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just compare the Palace to the JLA. They were only built a few years apart, but when you experience both venues you'd swear they were built decades apart.

JLA was built on the cheap with no paying tenant by a broke city desperate to keep the Red Wings from fleeing to the suburbs after the Lions and Pistons left. JLA and The Palace were built a decade apart, not a "few years". And I'm pretty sure Davidson didn't write a check for the massive infrastructure improvements to accommodate the Palace.