Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Final Four! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amazed I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so what the hell, I'll start one.

The Prof spent a few minutes at Ford Field today (there's free parking in a lot off Beacon St. if you're only going to be there a few minutes). That's where the local organizing committee is HQ'd, and of course I've volunteered to help out, me and about 2000 of my closest friends.

The tournament is a mighty big deal: hotels booking up way in advance, and nobody even knows who'll be playing!

So, DYers: what are your plans for Final Four week and weekend? What special things are going on at local clubs, etc.? I only know about the "official" NCAA stuff, and there's plenty of that, but I suspect as usual the locally-organized stuff will be even cooler.

We shined during the NCAA regional semis last year and during Super Bowl XL; let's do it again!

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I travel around the US for business and like to listen to the local sports stations wherever I'm at. The consistency of which I've heard sports casters lamenting the fact that they have to go to Detroit to cover the games is remarkable. Here's to hoping they have a good time in the D.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got my tickets for the games and cannot wait to return to Detroit for this. I've been waiting on this since it was first announced (when I lived in the area), and here it is. About damn time!

Let's just hope MSU comes out and plays their tournament basketball!

GO GREEN

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be a really fantastic event for Detroit. I hope it goes well and that Detroit can host again in the future.

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a proud U of D alumnus, I just want to put in a plug for UDM, the institution hosting the event. The athletic department there has done and is doing a monumental amount of work to make this a great event for Detroit.

Here's a couple of events they sent us info. about:

President's Wine, Cheese, & Conversations and the showing of the "Game of Change" Documentary

March 20, 2009

Calihan Hall: Titan Club Room, 4:30 p.m.

On Friday March 20, 2009 from 4:30 - 6 p.m. the President, in conjunction with Athletics, is hosting a complimentary wine, cheese, and conversations at the Titan Club Room in Calihan Hall.

In addition, that evening as part of the official 2009 NCAA Final Four® events, Athletics is hosting a free public showing of the Game of Change Documentary. This documentary features the story of two teams playing in a 1963 NCAA basketball tournament game in East Lansing, Michigan - a game that literally changed the fabric of American society.

The Loyola Chicago Ramblers team started four African-American players and the all-white Mississippi State Bulldogs had been routinely denied participation in the tournament because of an unwritten Mississippi law which prohibited competition against African-American players. At the risk of losing their jobs, coach Babe McCarty and university president Dr. Dean Colvard took a stand and challenged the system to allow their Mississippi State team to play for an NCAA national championship.

The Game of Change Documentary reaches far beyond sports, demonstrating this particular event's significance in the battle for race equality.

After the showing, there will be a panel discussion and Q & A.

The panel includes: Ike McKinnon, Roy Finkenbine, Robert Ficano, Ray McCallum, Woody Payne.

4:30 - 6 p.m. Wine, Cheese, and Conversations with President Gerard L. Stockhausen, S.J. (Titan Club Room - complimentary reception)

6 p.m. Welcome & Acknowledgements (Main arena)

6:15 - 7:15 p.m. Game of Change Viewing (Main arena)

7:15 - 8 p.m. Panel Discussion and Q&A (Main arena)

8:00 - 9 p.m. NCAA 1st round tournament game viewing (Titan Club Room - cash bar)

2009 Men's Final Four® Salute Presentation

April 2, 2009

Fox Theatre: 6:30 p.m.

The NCAA invites you to attend the 2009 Men's Final Four® Salute Presentation, Thursday April 2, 6:30 p.m. at the Fox Theatre. The Salute Presentation features the Final Four teams, inspiring video highlights of the Road to the Final Four® and conversations with the Final Four coaches conducted by Jim Nantz of CBS. General admission seating is available through advance purchase only on a limited availability basis. Tickets are $25 each. Please order your tickets by Monday, March 23. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Business Attire.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.