Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Baker's Lounge in trouble « Previous Next »
Archive through March 18, 2009Eastsideal30 03-18-09  10:57 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 767
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from Baker's tonight. Some friends and I decided to go after hearing the news. Some of my friends went for the first time and loved it -- sounds like they will be returning! And a friend from Baltimore was with us, and will be doing a story about the club. Hopefully if the word gets out, more people will start going. Could be the new hotspot! Only took a few minutes to get there from downtown on the Lodge.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks JimG. Maybe I'll take you two up on that offer some Thursday soon. May bring a friend or two with me. If I do, I'll be sure to start a new thread and tell all about my good experiences there. Maybe it'll be different there now that I'm in my 30s and don't look like a kid anymore (sadly).

(Is that the Mr. Pruitt who was the orchestra director at Cass Tech, by the way? If so, God bless him... I was his colleague for a few years earlier in the decade.)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one and the same mr. pruitt...one of my life's great teachers and role models. what a man (and music maker!)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, maybe me and me lady will see you at Baker's this Saturday?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I have to take a ride and go to Bakers, Havn't been there, might as well go in case.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had a goddamned dime to my name that I could spend, I'd damn sure head over to Baker's.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Anita Baker there WAY back in the day. I'll never forget the feeling that she was gonna make it. I guess she did.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two things have been pointed out here:
1. Baker management has not always provided courteous service.
2. "Improvements" to a street that replace curb parking with an island are not always helpful to businesses on the street.

I admit that I have not been to Bakers in a few years, and should support it. Management should take a cue from the posters who pointed out the courtesy issue, and let it be known that secure parking is available.

I hope that Bakers survives.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to get over there. Maybe an outpouring of support will help save the place, maybe not, but these classic venues are important to our community. They're disappearing fast, all over the country.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our very own Motown Funk Brother, Dennis Coffey is playing Saturday night at Bakers. He and his band will blow you away. I would certainly hate to see another one of the very few landmarks we have left, be closed. I am sorry English that you had a rough time at Bakers. No one should be treated that way.

Any time I've ever been there, the owner and the employees have always went out of their way in making sure we had a nice time. I love the place. Go back to Bakers, English; perhaps that was just a bad night. I bet you'll have a good time, this time.
God Bless Detroit
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That median on Livernois is causing a lot more harm than good. I wish I could have a face to face with the person that thought it up so that he/she could explain to me the benefits of having it. I'll guarantee you that Bakers has lost some business because of it.

I think I will take Johnnie Sues advice and visit Bakers this Saturday. Spread the word and lets pack the place!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bdglsmn: Don't you see? Detroit isn't meant for small-time businesses, neighborhood shops and petty shit like that. They'll harass you, inspect you, build medians to screw with you. But if you're General Motors, we'll flatten a whole neighborhood for you. If you're Matty Moroun, we'll let you take land without paying for it. If you're Mike Ilitch, you get free demolitions so you can do whatever you want! But these small businesses, tsk-tsk, they're in the way!

I wish this were satire, but ... :-(

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Detroitnerd.

What exactly was the point of the median? I can understand it on the stretch of Livernois between McNichols & 8 Mile. It does help make that shopping district a bit more pedestrian friendly. But why this, exactly, and why now?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be wrong, but I thought it was more make-work for the House of Ferguson. And didn't City Council order the work stopped, but they just kept building it right down Livernois anyway?

Not to derail, but: My mechanic in Dearborn says what really ruined the city was that the muck-a-mucks just got way too concerned with pleasing the big guys, and thought the city didn't need all these little people. :-(

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The median is a joke. It snarled up business for more than two years. At rush hour through people cut through Sherwood Forest and University district in order to avoid the dangerous too short turn arounds. Traffic is a snarl with only two lanes and no street parking in some areas.

The ultimate irony is there is almost no business on Livernois almost all gone and further down south of Seven Mile it looked like thy tore up what appeared to be tracks in the middle. Streetcars maybe?

I believe this project was MDOT or State Grant money. But I could be wrong.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd you are 100 percent correct.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a turnaround in the median in front of Baker's before 8 Mile?

If not, maybe DY can assemble a ninja crew to go out in the middle of the night and create a guerrilla turnaround for potential Baker's patrons! :-)

O.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not have a Meet Up at Baker's Saturday night?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested in Baker's history:

http://detroitmusichistory.com /Bakers.pdf

English

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, folks! I'm glad I read this thread and posted my rant after all. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten this catharsis... I would have just dismissed it out of hand. Now I'm determined to see the place saved. :-)

I'll definitely try to make it down there sometime if there's a meetup... this Saturday may be tricky, because my little sister's having a baby and is just about overdue, but I'd love to VERY soon. Let me see if I can rustle up a few folks... please post here all the details.

I also get a group of grad students and 30ish/40ish professionals from the Ann Arbor area down there within the next month or so... like many of you, I'm always the "city guide"... they've been bugging me about the Motown Museum for ages... I'm sure Baker's would be a nice "capstone" for the visit.

Wow, can't believe it's been 7 years since I've had their peach cobbler... best I've ever had! My first year of teaching, it seems like me, my sister, and a few of my coworkers made it there just about every other Friday in 1999 and 2000. The more I read and think about it, I have to say that I'm really looking forward to it again.

Thanks again everyone!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9654
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just got back from Baker's tonight. Some friends and I decided to go after hearing the news. Some of my friends went for the first time and loved it -- sounds like they will be returning! And a friend from Baltimore was with us, and will be doing a story about the club. Hopefully if the word gets out, more people will start going. Could be the new hotspot! Only took a few minutes to get there from downtown on the Lodge.

Hey, I was there Weds night too. Must have seen each other. That guy can seriously rip it up on the Hammond B3. The place seemed packed, you certainly wouldn't know they are struggling by the crowd that night.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to a bar and not drinking is like going to a garage and having them put your car on a hoist and saying don't do anything to it. Sorry English, couldn't resist.

English

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, yeah Stash... :-) Baker's isn't just a bar, though. There are some people who want to go and hear the music and would pay top dollar for a ticket. My buddy was that type, but I never noticed it until that evening... no one else wanted to go with us. And I was the designated driver.

I think Eastsideal offered the most plausible explanation. Thanks a million to the rest of you for helping me finally process that bad experience... first round's on me! I'll check with some of my friends and see if they want to drive down from Tree Town tonight (Saturday) if my sister doesn't go into labor. What time?

(Message edited by English on March 21, 2009)

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, where were ya sitting?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My recent experience at the door at Bakers went like this: I rushed there after a gig to see some friends playing @ Bakers on a Sat night. It was 1:15 am when I got there and the band was playing. The door guy asked for $10. I mentioned the time and that they were almost done. He said "They have one more set." Now I am a musician and am well aware that were wasn't going to be another set and told him so. He said "I'm not going to argue with you" and asked for $5. I left. He was rude. I heard them finish the tune they were playing and called my buddy who just got off the bandstand. They were indeed finished for the night. Rude.

I still went back to hear Perry Hughes & Chris Codish recently. Same rude guy at the door but no cover charge on a Weds night. The bar tender was very nice and I enjoyed myself despite that rude cat at the door.

Bobl

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bakers management should read this thread.
No excuse for rude behavior. Management allows this at its peril.
Reminds me of a certain rock club, way back when. One floor had rocknroll, another had disco. Doormen and bouncers were 'roided up and arrogant. Predictably, a serious incident outside the door led to the decline of the once thriving venue.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always had a great time at Baker's, but sometimes I think the current owner might be his own worst enemy. I've heard lots of stories of negative experiences like the ones mentioned in some of the previous posts. Bobl is right; if the owner really wants to make the place viable again, he needs to take a long hard look at the way he does business.

In the meantime, somebody mentioned Bert's as a great place to hear some great jazz. I couldn't agree more.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that Baker's owner has been trying to sell the club for a number of years and I guess the rubber is meeting the road for him at this time.

I share your frustation about the Livernois median
I live in the University District and one day work just started on Livernois, no public comment,no real advanced warning this was going to happen. I'm sure the businesses were affected greatly.

I still don't like the median but I guess I am used to it after all this time.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting comments. As an 'outsider' I need to read these posts to gain an appreciation of Detroit landmarks. Des Moines, Iowa (where I live) has these same old timey establishments ( mostly restaurants)

This reminds me of the Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld. ometimes it is what it is ENGLISH. They won't remember you if you go back. They might treat you like royalty this time.

Old time establishments aren't always the best at customer service. BUT if you go to see aparticular artist and take in the atmosphere, then keep that in mind. Long after Bakers is gone or you are too old to go (if they are still open) your cumulative memories will be the light of your soul.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bert's is a lot of fun and Bert is a nice cat. They play LATE on the weekends too.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My recent experience at the door at Bakers went like this: I rushed there after a gig to see some friends playing @ Bakers on a Sat night. It was 1:15 am when I got there and the band was playing. The door guy asked for $10. I mentioned the time and that they were almost done. He said "They have one more set." Now I am a musician and am well aware that were wasn't going to be another set and told him so. He said "I'm not going to argue with you" and asked for $5. I left. He was rude. I heard them finish the tune they were playing and called my buddy who just got off the bandstand. They were indeed finished for the night. Rude."

I used to bartend. The reason clubs enforce the full cover to the end is because a significant number of people, you would be surprised at how many people do, will arrive near the end of the night when the cover has been reduced to avoid paying the full price.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've been in this biz for like 30 years. I was ready to pay, but but not full price for the rest of one song! I always by drinks, weather I am even drinking myself. I want to support! When he lied and in a rather indifferent mannor, that is when I was pissed. His attitude sucked. The "I'm not going to argue with you" with the rolling eyes and too hip attitude were the worst. He doesn't know what hip is. Square.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be at Baker's on Thursday, April 2, as Dave is playing for Tarya and her annual birthday party jam! Come on out and support Baker's!!

Bobl

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I'm hip enough for the doorman.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to throw in my two cents, first of all, Hi RJ, I'm pat's friend, the sax player you met sometime ago... also I'll be playing at Bert's Sat night with a blues group and also with the same group (Champagne's motor city blues crew) at Bakers on Tuesday night... if anyone feels up to it, Bert's (marketplace mind you) is one of the most fun places i've ever played AND between 2 and 3 it becomes the post-gig hangout for Detroit's best musicians.... you never know who you might see in there during the infamous "last set in the city..."

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Nick! Yeah, Bert is the best last call in the city! Great bartenders too!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tried to go to bakers last night and it was full to capacity - couldn't even get in! i was disappointed, but glad they're doing such a booming business.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Baker's on Friday - as always a good experience. Great music, wonderful scene, great, cheap food. They were packed so if they aren't making money it has to be lousy management. Let me count the ways.
1. My amaretto sour _ DO NOT MAKE FUN OF ME _ was $10 but that is the right price.
2. But our service was lousy. She should have been coming back to ask for new drink orders, and it took her 15 minutes to take our first order. Want to boost revenue just boost sales.
3. The place was packed. They have their clientle. The bar was jammed too.
4. They need to get more servers. I talked to friends who were also there and they said the food came out so slowly, they could have gotten three more beers before they were served. But he could not order his three beers because the waitress didn't come back.
5. The owner is blaming the economy _ which he can't control _ but he can control his management. If they fail it's their own fault.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's more info about the Thursday, April 2 gig that Dave (aka The Grillmaster) is playing at Baker's...

Tarya's Birthday Jam, featuring the vocal stylings of Tarya, backed by Chris Codish on piano, Pat Prouty on bass, and Dave Marcaccio on drums. 8pm-midnight. No cover.

C'mon out and have some fun!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on March 30, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: