Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Archive through February 08, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: To keep it in perspective, if these are your 2 most shameful and regretful moments of your childhood, I'd say you came through relatively unscathed! Not sure which was tougher to overcome though the skates or the name thing, both must have been pretty humiliating.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing your name isn't "Sue". A nod to Johnny Cash.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4948
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It had to be last name on the jackets. Having 'Cole' on there was a whole lot cooler than 'Regina'.
I always had weak ankles, too. Never did learn to do much more than skate in a circle and play crack the whip. To stop, I used to run into the green wall around the rink.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow can sure be a PITA sometimes, but if you don't need to get out, it sure looks beautiful out the front room window, especially at night with the street lights.

Lots of folks out there getting their Christmas trees today at St. Anne's in Warren. Not me. I like to have everything up a bit longer than a real tree will last. Start putting it all up right after Halloween, and it's all down by the feast of the fourth king.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we were already up in the boonies, we dropped in on Sterling Christmas at Dodge Park.

The hot chocolate and cookies were delicious. The bonfire was most welcome. The ladies choir was in fine form. The animals were cute. And best of all, the horse drawn wagon ride was pure joy!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3

Zitro

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot to spit into the mic first

7andkelly

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but the antennas were extended on both Olson Electronic's walkie talkies, and I pressed the button in before speaking, and released it promptly after.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Electronics, what was the name of the little electronic shop on Hayes right behind Revco drugstore? That's where the cub scouts could get the resistors, copper wire, headphones, and crystals for their crystal radio sets. The down pipe that ran through our upstairs bedroom on Eastwood made an excellent antennae. WJR and CKLW came in "crystal" clear.

Zitro

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad that coward Eat Sht isn't around anymore, I'd be willing to take a bet on tonights game. He was all talk anyway.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look where I find you all!

Jcole

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They still like to hide on the girls, don't they?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt! The WWW isn't quite Wide enough to hide from us.

Eastburn

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They weren't hiding from you, CFG. Honest!

Zitro

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since this was declared a No Perv Zone they disappeared. They obviously were no match for 7.

Jcole

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of 7....

Eastburn

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent him an e-mail last night & haven't heard back.

Zitro

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody here a noise? It was a loud thump. Oh it was just the Wings putting a beatdown on the Sharks.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sharts are half decent against the pansies in their own division, but they still basically suck.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the new year is finally here. Yay! We used to watch Guy Lombardo at our house, even after Dick Clark started doing his own show. At the time people said Guy Lombardo was getting old. I didn't care. It was traditional...our tradition. Now even Dick Clark is looking old. Something has got to be done about this aging business, that's all I've got to say about that.

We've got a decent new base of snow on the ground to replace some of what we lost due to the thaw. I know it's bothersome, but it's God's will, and it comes with it's own beauty...snowglobe like snow, snow on the fir trees, and my favorite, frozen fog. Add a sunny day, and it's just majestic. Even without the snow, the leafless trees are a sight to see against a bright blue sky.

And how nice and peaceful and pure it is here on Eastwood now. Many thanks to Z for helping to win back Eastwood, and the rest of the eastside neighborhood threads that were in such bad shape, they had to be quarantined. Oh, if only 7_and_kelly_kid were here with us still to share in the sweet smell of our victory. May God rest his dear soul!

Zitro

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a collabrative effort 7. The air certainly smells better in the old hood for sure. That smell of old rotten stinking washed up flesh is gone.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we can have a party at 7's local bar ... maybe the go Blue Blues Band can provide the music ... need soap Z???? You clown!!!!

Calmoz
Username: Calmoz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside...thanks for the direction, I've found my way

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cal: So glad that you are a Columbus grad ...... a great DPS school!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the auto show today at Cobo Center. What an awesome event! Lots of nice shiny modern high-tech cars. Reminds me sitting on the porch back in the day on eastwood watching the cars go by. We used to try and be the first to "name that car".

Eastburn

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, and every kid knew the make, model & year of every car.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a nice February day it was on Eastwood today. I think it hit 50. It was a good day to scrape ice off the street near the curb to form a channel leading to the sewer, and to scoop a couple of months worth of dog poop off the grass.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Observation of Eastwood: Did anyone every notice that almost all the houses on Eastwood had the living room on the left side of the house (as you look at the house) and the dining room, kitchen and driveway on the right side?

Eastburn

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty standard layout for a bungalow. Ours on Riad (the 1st house I owned), had the dining room behind the living room on the left side of the house. The living room ran across the whole front of the house. Kitchen on the right behind the living room. 2 bedrooms in back.

Jcole

Post Number: 5708
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ours on Maddelein was L.R. on left with B.R. on right. Kitchen and another B.R. behind on respective sides. Driveway on left. What I find odd was that the porch was in front of the master bedroom, so if you came up on the porch, you were looking right in my parents room if the shade was up.