Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Downtown updates, etc « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a reason to take a trip from the southwest side (Delray/Fort Wayne area) over to the Main Branch of the Public Library and back again today. Here are a couple updates I noted:

Home Run Subs: Renovation work well under way. This is the former Tubby's location at Lafayette and Washington Blvd which closed over the winter. They were painting signs and exterior work today. I really hope the outside is not going to stay painted black forever! Here's a Model D article about it: http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/homerun18309.aspx

Mind you, the Model D article says the place opened a couple days back, and it sure was not yet open when I drove by today...and I was planning to try it out. So continued up Washington to Grand Circus and had lunch at that Subway next to the Adams Theatre/Fine Arts Bldg facade. I know there's an agreement to do a facadectomy on that property... hopefully the facade doesn't crumble away before they get it secured to a new building behind.

Gabriel Richard Building: Lots of workers humming around on the main floor as they renovate their commercial areas. It will be a nice compliment to the finally finished Book Cadillac streetscape across the way. I also noticed they seem to have put the finishing touches on the Shelby "alley" between the B-C and new parking garage. Is that going to ever be a through street or just an alley/delivery entrance?

I succeeded in running out the parking meter along Cass while I was researching in the Main DPL, and they pounced my car to ticket me about 2 minutes after the meter ran out. oh well. Too bad I can't specify to have my $20 go to something like fixing a broken streetlight, rather than subsidize the comedy/horror show which occurs every city council meeting.

On my way back down the southwest side, I noted the following on Fort Street:

The old warehouse at 1917 W. Fort, just west of Rosa Parks, which had new windows and a cleanup job a couple years back, had a freshly damaged top floor window structure, with broken/missing glass and a bent window frame (on the west elevation). I have no idea what would have caused this kind of outside damage... armor plated remote control model plane, maybe? Someone invested a fair amount of money in fixing up this structure a few years back...it's a shame they haven't brought any tenants inside and now damage is ruining their investment.

Anyone know why is the right-most lane for southbound travelers on Fort closed off between Clark and Livernois? They never seem to be doing any work along there and having a center turn lane would be really helpful.

Finally, the A.M.A. Group that renovated and moved into the old DPD Precinct at Green and Fort has reinstalled their front fence which was demolished earlier this winter by something huge and errant. Good to see them keeping their property up.

Skippy313
Username: Skippy313

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The broken window on the warehouse was caused several months back. Was a very windy day with over 50 mph gusts. The barriers on Fort Street are for trucks leaving the plaza after coming off the bridge. It gives them their own lane going in either direction reducing congestion.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you pay your parking ticket within 10 days you only have to pay $10. It's in the fine print on the back of the ticket.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, yep thanks for the heads up! I just noticed that. Thanks again.

Skippy, I'm referring to the right lane closed farther southwest of Fort Street, not the part right under and near the bridge, but farther between about Clark and Livernois, past Junction and Military.

It must have been a really windy day to mess up the window on 1917... wonder what went kathunk up there?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the building on the sw corner of Fort and 12th? that is 1915 Fort, the company I used to work for owned that building, we sold it to the guy who invested in the new windows, and the EFIS front on the loading dock. since that time (fall 2004) nothing has gone on with the building.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, yes, that's the one. I left my noted in the car and 1917 sounded about right, I google mapped it and it was in about the right spot. Thanks for the correction.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is the one right off the river, it's owned by Dennis Kefallinos, one of Detroit's top slumlords. It appears he went on a shopping spree in the 90s and early 2000s, thinking there would be a real estate revival in downtown and its surroundings, but nope. He's got at least a dozen commercial buildings rotting away in the CBD and along Fort St. heading to SW Detroit.

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kefallinos = Boydell Development.

Figures that building is his.

I'm guessing he owns everything in town with a Russell Bazaar banner/poster on it.

Which would mean that he owns just about every other empty hulk in Detroit. And all of the affordable (crappy) lofts!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, Boydell is plastering their posters all over their vacant bldgs.

they're planning a downtown Russell Bazaar on Woodward, just north of the Compuware building, according to the peeps at Boydell.

You can tell what his buildings are - his signs are distinct, black and red writing on white signs with just "For Sale" and a phone number. Here's some of his available buildings:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ off/1082505757.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ off/1082491556.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ off/1082475995.html

The posting for the building we're talking about in this thread is gone. It used to be up on Craigslist.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we sold the building a guy by the name of Chris was in charge, and I thought was the buyer. He poured money into the building, we allowed his crews to begin work on the emptied floors as we emptied the other floors. they bashed out the cinder block-filled window sections, it was raining cinder blocks for a couple of weeks. They sand blasted all exterior common brick (not a good idea) and likewise the inside. It's a great building, and was in excellent shape when sold in 2004

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at this one...
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ off/1080351377.html

Anyone want to move your office there!?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Home Run Subs: Renovation work well under way

Actually, they're already open. A bunch of my co-workers ate there yesterday.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the loft building right behind westin book cadillac hotel behind the garage in capitol park....very interested in renting a loft in that building and maybe make some plans to make use for the ground level commercial space. What are the rates....who can I talk to about that particular building. Willing to invest, two business men from chicago and detroit. Looking for residential and commercial space in capitol park only.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a great investment Gthomas. I'm sure you've heard the very real plans to revitalize that park once the transit hub is moved to it's permanent location. Should be a beautiful part of the city. Hopefully more people like you will come around and clean up some of the buildings surrounded the park and it will be a second version of Campus Martius or Grand Circus

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I would love to create a vibrant, safe, and clean capitol park. That's really the last piece of some history in that area ....gritty but beautiful original urban lofts. Once the Stott building turn into luxury condos soon and the park get upgrades which may include a water feature and much needed greenery. Such as, tree-line streets surrounding the park, replacement of sidewalk, enhancing pedestrian crossing, and of course, historic light fixtures. Hopefully issue small grants for new and existing business owner to Capitol Park, which includes exterior and interior infrastructure. Installation of security camaras and new benches.... It could be a nice gathering space compare to Campus Martius Park.

Most of the surrounding buildings will be converted into residential lofts with commercial/retail space at ground level.

Who do I talk to about helping out with Capitol Park. Im willing to invest .....this can be a thriving hub for urban resident to experience.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno, find an owner of one of the buildings and rent out a space.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.