Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit to crack down on parking at night, on weekends « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in -- The city of Detroit has announced it will start enforcing parking regulations at night and on weekends.
In addition: you got six or more unpaid parking tickets, you good-for-nothing scofflaw? Starting soon, the state won't let you renew your driver's license.
Bet the parking crackdown starts AFTER the NCAA. star

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have sworn the guy inside the American Coney island once told me that parking downtown was free at night and on weekends. FFFUUU--!!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7910
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was, by default.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

enforcing parking regulations means that you can no longer park in front of hydrants, etc. most meters are only until 6 on weekdays and saturdays, correct?

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Rsa is right. Except for some of the new meters with pay stations, I'm pretty sure they're all labeled as unchecked after 6pm and unchecked on Sundays. Saturday is listed as enforced, but right now they don't. Maybe Saturday enforcement is all that's going to change.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Source?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

front page of freep.com

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7915
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those who live, work or play downtown beware -- city officials next month will begin implementing stricter parking enforcement rules.

The city will begin exploring issuing tickets for cars parked illegally on evenings and weekends. For those Wing Nuts who wait until after 6 p.m. to, say, find a creative parking space near Joe Louis Arena, you might be ticketed.

Parking enforcers will be on the lookout for vehicles in front of hydrants; in fire lanes and in commercial and handicap spots, and cars that are double parked or blocking alleys, crosswalks, sidewalks and bus stops.

In addition, beginning Monday any Michigan resident who has six or more outstanding Detroit parking tickets will not be able to renew their driver’s license until the fines are paid.

The Michigan Secretary of State will “hold” any license renewal, and depending on the number of tickets, multiple holds could be placed on a driver’s license. There will be a $45 fee for each hold.

“The good news is … that the city of Detroit’s Parking Violations Bureau is more than happy to work out a payment plan for those who cannot pay all their fees,” Detroit Municipal Parking Director Shawny DeBerry said in a statement today.

“However, their driver’s license may still be subject to a hold by the Secretary of State until all outstanding balances are paid in full.”

http://freep.com/article/20090 319/NEWS01/90319112/1003/Detro it+to+start+enforcing+stricter +parking+rules+next+month

Diehard

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, I wouldn't have such a problem with this if they weren't so EVIL about the way they hand out tickets. They'll spot you pulling up and dash across the street and ticket you in the two minutes it takes to pick up a carryout. I know, I know, you're guilty, but is it really THAT important to get some bucks from someone who's there for two minutes and not posing a hazard?
I got ticketed in front of my house when the streetcleaner came through and they neglected to put up any signs the night before. Someone else I talked to said they've gotten a ticket when the meter still had time left... presumably the White Neon Stormtroopers weren't going to wait around for it to expire.
I'm sure there are other horror stories out there.
The possibility of losing your license seems really heavyhanded. Aren't there enough ways they can nail you already for Driving While Broke?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Detroit is going to begin enforcing the law? What a novel idea? I wonder why they don't do that in the suburbs?

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Parking enforcers will be on the lookout for vehicles in front of hydrants; in fire lanes and in commercial and handicap spots, and cars that are double parked or blocking alleys, crosswalks, sidewalks and bus stops."

I wonder if an exemption will be written in to cover City Council members.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need. They get a uniformed, chauffeured ride to the office.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what struggling small businesses need. Bloody brilliant.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just what struggling small businesses need."

Metered parking is good for small businesses. It keeps people from parking their car all day in front of your storefront preventing potential customers from parking there.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can get behind this whole idea other than the hidden agenda of revenue generation thru the sneaky & redundant $45.00 "hold" fee.
The state really seems to be enjoying the "double jeopardy" side of vehicular enforcement these days, doesn't it?

Gotta tax the people somehow..

Histeric

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not complaining about metered parking. I am talking about night and weekend parking enforcement downtown...which will further discourage people from patronizing my shop. We have been working diligently to build those hours as a convenient time to visit, pick up, etc. Oh well.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brilliant idea sure to piss off more people. Just what the city needs.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See how it works? The more they cut our taxes (the neo-con solution - put that tax money, $25-50 bucks or whatever, back in your pocket) the more they find revenue streams. Parking enforcement, speed traps on I-696 and all over metro Detroit. Increased fees for everything. Proposed toll roads. Hiked bus fares. It's interesting how most of these fees have barely any effect on the richest people in our society, other than to save them big bucks, but have a huge negative impact on our middle and lower income and senior citizens.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that blows. At least it makes my decision to move out of downtown that much easier.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you moving out of downtown Mayor? Have you been unhappy with your downtown experience other than parking tickets?

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to big-city ticketing. They'll ticket Detroiters for EVERYTHING parking-related now.
I loved my years of being able to park anywhere I wanted in Detroit......parking in NYC SUCKS!!! The parking signs on every street here are as confusing as the street signs at the intersection of E. Outer Dr, Whittier & Chandler Park when I lived there.

Just make sure to contest every ticket, right or wrong. Give 'em so much red tape that they won't know what to do with it all! So many people contest tickets in NYC that you automatically get your fine reduced by 50% just by sending an e-mail.

NYC clocked $624 million in revenue last year from parking tickets alone. They'll write a ticket for being 2 inches across a driveway or 6 inches too close to a hydrant. Lots of shady parking cops here with quotas = numerous fraudulent tickets too.

Don't let the COD go apeshit with parking tickets like NYC. They'll milk you for everything you've got!

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they are going to ticket the security at the David Whitney for parking on the sidewalk

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about all the scammers with the handicapped parking hang-tag who park ALL DAY at meters and don't get ticketed (they are usally at work)?

Of course, that scam will be allowed to continue as my observation is that the scammers are mostly very heavy women "who don't look like me."

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this crackdown include parking in the fire lane at Flood's? :-) (I didn't think so.)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty 06,

Well I like living down here and I should be honest its not set in stone yet I'm moving. I mean because where else in the city is worthwhile to move to? But yeah the parking situation sucks. And that’s bad because despite living downtown you need to drive everywhere. There is nothing down here. Outside of CVS there is no shopping for like groceries and whatnot, so you have to drive a few miles at least just to buy simple stuff, especially after 6 or 7 pm. And that’s how they keep getting me and if they are going to get more aggressive then I’ll have to hide my car before they boot it. Plus downtown is depressing, it’s a half abandoned ghost town most of the time. The rose colored glasses fade away after a few months or so and you seriously start to hate it and the city as a whole. But yet and still I like living here, confusing huh? The Detroit paradox I call it. I hate it and love it at the same time.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bastards. Nazis.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4593
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Parking enforcers will be on the lookout for vehicles in front of hydrants; in fire lanes and in commercial and handicap spots, and cars that are double parked or blocking alleys, crosswalks, sidewalks and bus stops."

And by "blocking crosswalks", they mean, "having any part of your car within 15-feet of the damned crosswalk".

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet the first month, a few cops will write up tickets and then after that it will all go back the way it is/was. Or they'll just have a couple of meter maids work on Saturday.

Remember the big deal about ticketing unregistered bicycles last year? Did anyone get a ticket here?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Histeric. Now is not the time to be enforcing this stuff at night. If anything they should be getting rid of the obstacles to parking on the street.

Enforcing people who park illegaly such as in a crosswalk or in front of a hydrant is one thing but going after people who's meters aren't paid up is nonsense. There should be more free on street parking than metered parking. 1Kielsondrive is not far off the mark.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ticket panhandlers

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about all the scammers with the handicapped parking hang-tag who park ALL DAY at meters and don't get ticketed (they are usally at work)?"

There are certain tags that have a small yellow square on them. The MPD allows those people to park free in their garages, perhaps it's the same with the meters.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is how they do it in real cities, you do want to be a real city don't you?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I can get behind this whole idea other than the hidden agenda of revenue generation thru the sneaky & redundant $45.00 "hold" fee.
The state really seems to be enjoying the "double jeopardy" side of vehicular enforcement these days, doesn't it?

Gotta tax the people somehow.."

Ya know what Doug. I'd even be willing to get behind this transparent money grab happening all over enforcement if, and only if, enforcement calls it both ways. Here's what I mean:

That's fine if you want to ticket and tax us silly on the Civil end of enforcement and law. But don't for a minute let us down on the felony enforcement and general public safety (from roads, bridges to corruption, to fraud and disease, etc.), of which they have almost completely dropped the ball by now.

Not enough patrol units to respond to 911 emergency calls - "oh well, deal with it." Apparently there is easy money to be made which supercedes your problems.

So call it both ways "The Man" and I'll play your silly cat-and-mouse parking game. Hey if you lose, you lose - here's my money. At least I know my car will be here when I get back.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They would have to fix the street lights first to see the cars that park at night. :-)

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Parking enforcers will be on the lookout for vehicles in front of hydrants; in fire lanes and in commercial and handicap spots, and cars that are double parked or blocking alleys, crosswalks, sidewalks and bus stops. "

So you still only have to pay the meters until 6pm. This says nothing about extending meter enforcement time. It is about enforcing otherwise illegal parking that would otherwise go uninforced because the meter maids aren't making their rounds.
You just can't park in a crosswalk or in front of a fire hydrant after 6pm.

If you do that in the first place, you are an asshole.

Retroit

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor-sekou, thank you for your candid assessment of living downtown.

Now, get your apostrophe key fixed. :-)

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So you still only have to pay the meters until 6pm. This says nothing about extending meter enforcement time. It is about enforcing otherwise illegal parking that would otherwise go uninforced because the meter maids aren't making their rounds.
You just can't park in a crosswalk or in front of a fire hydrant after 6pm.

If you do that in the first place, you are an asshole.

Anyone who lives in the city or spends time downtown at night probably has a story about some "dance" club valet parking cars on the sidewalks, in front of fire hydrants or any where else they please.

If the city finally realizes they can make money off these people, I'm all for it and I hope this is more than just an empty promise.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 682
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I'm reading something the wrong way (I read it again, and I don't think so) but the story does not say anything more than that the city will begin enforcing parking regulations on evenings and weekends as well as during weekdays. What's the big deal? If you park at a yellow curb, fire hydrant, bus stop, no-parking zone, etc. you're more likely to get a ticket, even if it's on Saturday night.

It doesn't mean that meter hours are being extended to late nights and Sundays.

O.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/article/200 90320/METRO/903200393/1409/MET RO/Detroit+warns+scofflaws++Pa y+parking+tickets+or+lose+your +license

Fury13

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this is how they do it in real cities, you do want to be a real city don't you?"

But. We're. Not.

Diehard

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is how they do it in real cities, you do want to be a real city don't you?

In real cities - the streetlights work, the City Council isn't a bunch of retards, slumlords are held accountable, abandoned houses don't stay standing for years and burn repeatedly, old warehouses aren't allowed to turn into dumping grounds for school supplies and dead bodies, groceries are available, billionaires aren't allowed to buy up half the city and let it rot, 911 calls are answered, potential investors aren't chased away for "not looking like me," people don't sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" at official meetings...

But hey, let's hassle people over parking, that's more important.

I've often wondered... what if, one day, everyone suddenly gave up their cars and started walking and taking public transportation? How much revenue would dry up overnight once our government couldn't extort it in exchange for our driver's licenses?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^lol. Spot on.

Incidentally, I found out I am now boot eligible. Isn't that cool?

Retroit

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters should be rejoicing for every law that is enforced in the city. Funny, all the ex-Detroiters that have moved to my suburb don't seem to mind the enforcement of ordinances. Maybe that's why they're moving here.

Fury13

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get real, Retroit, this parking crackdown is little more than a blatant money grab. It does little for the viability or improvement of the city.

What about enforcing anti-blight and property maintenance laws? What about getting more cops on the street to reduce crime? What about getting streetlights to work? What about getting trash picked up on time and getting rubbish off the streets?

In other words, how about if the City starts addressing things that really affect the quality of life??? Jeez, what a concept...

Oh yeah, you can say that collecting more money into the City coffers will allow government to do more of those things, but those things have NEVER been done in Detroit. Not in a couple of decades, anyway. And I have my doubts that parking violation fines will ever be put to a real, constructive use, anyway. That money will probably disappear or be absorbed into some mayoral staffer's salary.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful! Anything to discourage business in the city. Maybe they could also eliminate street side parking, and replace it with an unwanted island, as they did to Livernois. Who's in charge, here?
Please forgive the sarcasm...

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small businesses and residents suffer the most. As I've said for decades, the City of Detroit should be handing out ticket rewards, instead of violations, for parking downtown. I once got a ticket at about 3:30 or 4 AM for parking too close to a fire hydrant. There was not one visible automobile or person for 2 blocks in any direction, not even a sound or a peep. There were plenty of tumbleweeds rolling down the street.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said, I've got no problem with the city enforcing parking laws..the city is doing nothing new here, other than actually DOING it's job for a change instead of pretending that parking laws go off the clock when the meter-maids do..

No, the gripe I have is at STATE level. Withholding a driver's license renewal due to unpaid tickets is nothing new..in the past, all you did was pay the damned ticket(s), provide proof of payment to the secretary of state drone behind the counter, and everything was copacetic..
NOW, in addition to paying your fine for illegal parking, you also get to pay a $45 "administrative fee" up-front at the secretary of state as well.
Funny, you'd think that in a world of hi-tech computers and shared information, the cost of checking your paid fine would be nil, compared to the old days of clerks having to actually verify records manually..but since we're in an economic "crisis," our state government instead charges us MORE for less.
Instant revenue..same "crime," more dollars for the state.

(Message edited by ZRX_Doug on March 20, 2009)

Histeric

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is just more adding of insult to injury. I can't get a patrol to show up to my business promptly, or the bar next door, when someone is threatening employees and patrons, but somehow, they have the resources to enforce parking rules after 6? It is quite simply, a big slap in the face.

True story: I am 40 feet up on a man lift, tuckpointing the front of my building on Woodward, downtown. A man approaches the control box, I yell at him to back away, he refuses. I quickly lower to cage and physically remove him from the area. He goes over to the bus station, where my mason and I hear ladies screaming. He comes out of the bus stop with a machete size knife and begins to yell threats, etc. My neighbor calls 911, I grab a mason hammer. We do this dance for a half hour (and I lose time on the job) before he finally realizes he isn't scaring anyone but the nice ladies at the bus stop. We go back up to resume work and an hour later, a patrol shows up. Their advice? We should have thrown a brick at him from the cage, dragged him into the curb and called EMS.

But they have time to enforce parking? Someone in authority is clueless. I feel sorry for the cops who have to follow these clueless leaders. I am sure they didn't join the force to write parking tickets.

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn you Wings fans for taking away our privilege to park illegally!

You've ruined it for everyone who parks in front of fire hydrants!

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking enforcement is run through the Municipal Parking Department and has little to do with the Police Department. You're comparing apples with oranges. Some of you are seeming to say that if one department in the city doesn't work then none of them should. That's absurd.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a City Council meeting. Parked at the lot next to Sweetwater Tavern. Lot was full so left the car on Congress and the keys with the attendant. They did not move the car into the lot until after a parking ticket was issued. I did not find out about the fine until a received a notice from the city in the mail.

Parked the car in front of the house one time on Wednesday. Thursday is trash pick-up. Normally well after noon. Got a ticket.

Went to visit a friend late in the day at Harper Hospital. Found a spot on Alexandrine. New meters. Filled it with coins to cover past six P.M. Got a ticket. Within the time period of the meter. It was my mother-in-law's car. She paid.

As implied above, taxation without representation.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking enforcement in Detroit is a SCAM. They SCAM you every which way. As Hysteric said, you can't get a cop out for anything when you're most in need, but meter maids swarm your ass in a minute. The problems in Detroit aren't the people and the city - the problems are all city hall. They don't just injure you, they add INSULT to injury. I still hang in Detroit, but with great reservations and a very wary eye.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The problems in Detroit aren't the people

That sort of denial doesn't help.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm downtown working every Friday and Saturday and they are out with flat beds and cops towing all kinds of cars. All of the No Standing, No Parking, Tow Away Zones, Fire Hydrants, etc. are being enforced. I am glad to see this. You can see it mainly on Fort @ Washington. It's funny seeing people running to save their cars AFTER they are on the trucks. Don't park in illegal spots and read the signs.

Fury13

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jawohl! Sieg heil!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Noodles, what do you know about Detroit? Firsthand, I mean. Don't tell us about what you've read or heard or what someone else has said, tell us about what you know from real, actual experience of living, working and hanging in downtown Detroit, or maybe even owning a business in downtown.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some additional clarification:
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090323/COL27/90323078/Detroit +parking+crackdown+leaves+wigg le+room+for+scofflaws

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My biggest problem with downtown parking is the signage.

What is the difference between standing and parking?

I thought standing was when you were sitting in the car and parking was when you left the car. It seems like they are the same downtown.

They also need to adjust for the current volume of traffic. A lot of those no standing 4-6 could be removed because there isn't the volume of traffic there once was.

Whatever, I just pay them early online and get the discount. It's just easier.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: