Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Stealing Electricity and Gas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090320/NEWS01/903200436/1003/ NEWS/15+in+metro+Detroit+charg ed+in+gas++electricity+theft

Almost all Coney Islands are in Detroit.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this thread was a how-to. ... ;)

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it odd that they are all coneys? Are they all owned by the same person?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I suspect many of them know each other and some of them are related.

The way this kind of thing spreads is that one person does it for a while and gets away with it, then others find out about it, etc. If the original person was the only one, he could get away with it essentially forever. But when a lot of people in the same business start pulling the same scam, eventually it shows up on someone's radar.

When I was involved with the restaurant business, many years back, we had a really elaborate scam involving gift certificates. The waitress who invented the scam could have rolled us forever if she'd kept it to herself, but she didn't. When a scam becomes large-scale, a good manager can see something is wrong just looking at numbers and trends. Then the loss prevention folks are called in, and quickly smoke out what's happening.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's what makes a Coney Dog a Detroit Classic: it is cooked with stolen electricity. Maybe we should call them Conned Dogs.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lot of Albanian-looking names there. Perhaps a scam that passed through a particular ethnic/family business community?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet most of the accused are not U.S. citizens.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing for sure, according to the article none lived in Detroit.
Next article: How to keep the invading law breakers from basing their criminal enterprises in the city.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albanian and maybe Arab people. They seem to be experts in knowing how to screw people. In my experiences that more often than not been the case. And that is NOT trying to be a racist. It's a shame that so many people regardless of where they're from screw the system. But wait, doesn't the government screw us???

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares if a few business owners try and get back at the man by stealing from Edison.

At at least they aren't carjacking, killing for sunglasses,shooting dope, and stealing from peoples homes.

I am really shocked at some of the comments on this matter.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who cares if a few business owners try and get back at the man by stealing from Edison.

At at least they aren't carjacking, killing for sunglasses,shooting dope, and stealing from peoples homes.

I am really shocked at some of the comments on this matter.

Your comment is no better than the rest and worse than some.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 773
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GENE -- So stealing from people's homes is bad, but stealing from the city and the people who legitimately pay for their utilities is okay? Give me a break. This is wrong and these people should be prosecuted. If they had paid their bills and not stolen, it would be cheaper for everyone. You are excusing them for a despicable and cowardly act. Maybe you're stealing your power and gas too? I pay my share to DTE, why shouldn't these people? What makes them special, just cause they own these Coneys and do their business in Detroit? Well I do my business here too -- I buy things here, eat here, and actually PAY MY BILLS here. So stop upholding a double standard. You're no better than they are if you think this is excusable.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One-Shotz: Your comment about the goverment is right on. When is gambling illegal? When the gov't doesn't get a cut! Other wise it's legal!

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a gas bill of 480.00 a couple months ago ( my house isn't large either) and I was in Flordia for 10 days that month. If all these people weren't stealing gas I'll bet my bills would be lower

Gene

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stealing from a public utility is hardly despicable or a cowardly act.

I wonder how much outrage you would exhibit George if you were ever made aware of a murder or real crime that happened in Detroit.

Talk about a double standard.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

• Petar Cubi, 41, of Sterling Heights

• Vitor Daka, 38, of Macomb Township

• Tush Duhanaj, 36, of Rochester Hills

• Qun Gjergjaj 53, of Rochester Hills

• Pashk Gjonlleshi, 70, of Grosse Pointe

• Mihill Gojanaj, 53, of Clinton Township

• Roza Gojanaj, 49, of Clinton Township

• Trang Huyne, 53, of Sterling Heights

• Badri Jamil, 60, of Rochester Hills

• Pjeter Marku, 53, of Warren

• Xhevalin Marku, 47, of Warren

• George Mirdita, 33, of Sterling Heights

• Pjeter Nikolla, 46, of Warren

• Farid Sitto, 46, of Farmington Hills and

• Mark Thaqi, 62, of Clinton Township.

This just looks bad. All suburbanites, all with non-standard American names. It is stuff like this, that gives credence to the multitude of conspiracy theories about immigrants and their business ethics.

Now, maybe they are all born in the good ol USA, but it doesn't look like it now does it?

It is stuff like this that makes you wonder where they got their products from. What other corners did these places cut? Did some of those Gaspar Fiorea chicken breasts land in these places?

Jeeze, it isn't fair to all those hard working imports that play by the rules and work hard. It ain't fair but you have to wonder and it ain't fair to make me wonder.

As a side note, I googled a half dozen of these folks. Many of them had unclaimed property being held. Don't know what it means, just seems strange.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you put the evil eye on all of us Gnome.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been close to 6 months since I've been there, but the only one I've been to on a frequent basis is Motor City Coney Island. If it wasn't such a ****hole of an area I would have gone there more often.

Nice people there and I use to give them a pretty good tip for giving me a pop and putting a coney in a bag.
Bastards.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to bet that they wouldn't have pulled this stuff in any other city. It just speaks volumes to what they really think about the city and the people who keep them in business. I can just imagine them cackling and laughing over how they think they got over. It's definitely no coincidence that they're all suburban immigrants with Detroit coney islands. It's not like any of them are from Pontiac or Hazel Park or something, I bet they've all got nice homes in their respective cities. They just don't respect the city or their customers. It would make me skeptical about eating there.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a few years, but there was a car dealer prosecuted for selling (buy)American cars(later also imports) who shared with all his dealer friends secrets to bypass utility meters.

That car dealer is still in business.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stealing from a public utility is hardly despicable or a cowardly act."

Gene, what a totally ignorant statement! You may not be intelligent enough to realize this but YOU pay for utility thieves! This is as much a "real crime" as others. On the other hand, you might identify with utility thieves and may think taking what's not yours from "the MAN" justifies criminal behavior.
I look forward to your coming reply which I'm sure will be well thought out and intellectually stimulating :-)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That'd be Bob Saks you're thinking of, Thoswolfe.
The dealer principle paid some serious coin to get his tit out of that particular ringer..I was working for another GMC dealer in the suburbs when the fit hit the shan, it was the hot topic of conversation for a few months..

It's not exactly rocket science to steal gas/electricity..the key is to not get greedy, so I hear. Gotta make sure you run enough past the meter to satisfy the utility company to avoid suspicion..and NOT tell everyone in your neighborhood how to pull it off.
On the downside, it's pretty damned impossible to hide your theft..if anyone beyond the level of meter reader looks at your equipment, or anyone with a clue about average usage compares your usage to a similar building's, you'll get hammered.
And it IS theft..don't confuse yourself into thinking that it's not stealing just because it's "the man" being stolen from..

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys remember this when your rates go up. Nothing is for free. These clever fellows are screwing you and me.

Gene

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George, last I heard smoking weed is against the law, how do you feel about putting all the pot smokers in jail? This is as much a "real crime" as others isnt it?

Enough of the racism and phony outrage because the business owners have non-standard American names, and don't live in Detroit.

How many of you would have the balls to open and operate a Coney Island in the a****hole areas of the city these enterprising Americans have?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew a guy who was running a PDP-11 in his basement.

I believe that every other day he flipped the electric meter internals upside down for a day.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, smoking pot isn't STEALING from someone else and NO its not a crime against others. You REALLY don't have a clue as this is not about names/ethnicity/not living in the D, its about STEALING which you pay for in the end.
Go ahead and shoplift as its taking from the MAN as well.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rest of us suckers pay for it.

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Idiotic to make any kind of sense out of the spelling of the names. If you are not an iroquois or mohawk you are a frigging foreigner.
Just a stupid way to separate you for your neighbor or justify hating another. Give it up.
As for the smoking weed concept does anyone on here exceed the speed limit habitually or roll through stop signs?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't see how you can connect the two, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Smoking pot has nothing to do with STEALING. Try getting a clue ... not to mention your crap about "THE MAN" is no more intelligent or any less bigoted than those who are saying the Albanians have a conspiracy against us because all these people have foreign names. GROW UP and GET A CLUE -- these criminals are costing YOU money, and you say its ok for them to steal, and then compare it to smoking pot? What exactly are you smoking?????

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are not an iroquois or mohawk you are a frigging foreigner."

Actually untim, if you drop back 14,000-20,000 years (dates are currently in dispute) there were no people in what is now the USA. So, all Americans, including Iroquois, Mohawk and all the other folks we call Native Americans, are foreigners.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, Chrissy_Snow, because everyone knows there are NO decent houses anywhere in Hazel Park or Pontiac...

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nerve of some people to bash those who take advantage of others in the "city". Give me a break!!! What did King Kwame and others do to the city and the residents for 8 years. He stole from all of us!!! Probably set a good example for others to follow reagrding taking advantage of others.
But when Kwame did it it was not called a "black thing" but now when some other ethnicities are doing it it suddenly becomes a matter of race.
Some of the people on this site really need a reality check!!!!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a fact that the city of Detroit has much in common with the suburbs like Livonia, no matter where people come from or what race they are.

This thread proves it.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er, what race are we talking about here? I'm lost.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4266
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a faulty gas meter for the first three years in my house. (In my favor). Since then, I've seen my gas bill reflect the change. They always get their money.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie asked:
"Er, what race are we talking about here? I'm lost."

Human race.
Danged people are ALL rotten to the core..
All hail our successor, the almighty cockroach!
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.