Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 20/20 Hamtramck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I spelled Hamtramck right.

Anyway, 20/20 is showing a couple who bought $100 home there and they're showing stripped, burned out houses in Detroit.

Thought you guys might like to know.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You actually did spell it right. Now nail "Joseph Campau" and I'll be impressed.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The couple are named Mitch and Gena. They have friends named Sarah & John.

They hire local teenagers to fix up the houses they buy. The $100 house had been burned and the wires had been stripped out. 2 years ago the house was worth $70,000.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 827
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to Design 99's Powerhouse project. All the afore mentioned people are artists. The bad economy shows great potential for our city in attracting creative types and reforming our economy through local networks.

http://powerhouseproject.com/

I am considering leaving midtown for McNichols and Woodward, for reduced rent and future potential. Now is the time, because in reality how much more can you loose.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, well, in that case, Leanna, you should have spelled it D-e-t-r-o-i-t. Hamtramck stops at Carpenter.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first house 20/20 showed was in Hamtramck. 20/20 said it was in Hamtramck, but they showed Detroit houses also.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what 20/20 is. I thought 6nois's link was the same thing you were talking about.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is. 20/20 just said it was in Hamtramck or something like that.

6nois

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all reality most of the properties were in Detroit, except for maybe one. 20/20 really didn't have a clue as to where they were They said Hamtramck was on the Eastern boarder of Detroit, when its really in the middle surrounded by the city. The above we site is the same project and group as on 20/20. They have also recently gotten coverage in the New York Times, and Model D.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Design 99 is in Hamtramck

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These artists are doing amazing things.

The neighborhood they are working on (and the focus of the 20/20 story) is actually in Detroit, however, one of the great things about this area is that the Hamtramck/Detroit border is blurred. Half of the Bangladeshi Avenue (Conant) is actually Detroit, but you'll see in the signs/names of their businesses that they consider their neighborhood Hamtramck. The zip code, 48212, is a Hamtramck mailing address, but also encompasses a large section of the East/central section of Detroit.

6nois. Your move to 6 & Woodward sounds interesting. 2 1/2 years ago I moved from Brush Park to a building I"m restoring @ 7 Mile.

6nois

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried I wasn't entirely sure but I kinda figured that was the case with the area, I have run into the zip codes and how people consider themselves not fitting before but I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Yeah the move promises to be interesting if everything works out. The house is gorgeous and is on a really great and interesting block with very engaged and active neighbors. I stand to reduce my rent and utilities by $150 by no means am I paying all that much right now, but its nearly a 1/3 reduction. While the reduction is nice the quality and amount of space is far more than I could ever get in midtown, and even imagine getting in any other city in the U.S. These are huge benefits to Detroit.

Where abouts along seven mile did you end up if you don't mind me asking?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 661
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a relative from Germany to the Hamtramck area, then down to Belle Isle, then Jefferson to the Grosse Pointes several years ago. His comments: "Belle Isle is beautiful, except for the litter."
"Looks like bombed out East Germany", at residential areas off of Jefferson. "Who threw the switch?", at Alter.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were also profiled on CNN when Anderson Cooper was in town. Big media might finally be getting in on the urban pioneering / creative resuscitation tip.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see a video of the story the video is here,
http://abcnews.go.com/Business /story?id=7123194&page=1

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They out they cotton-pickin' minds.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those folks are right down the street (Klinger ) from me. Now I wonder If I can get at least 200 dollars for my shack. Geez, I'd be rollin'!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Hamtramck property owner, I was very disappointed that 20/20 showed terrible blight and called it Hamtramck, when the blighted areas were really in Detroit.

6nois

Post Number: 832
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only other really problem I had was that stupid like from the NYT writer about urban pioneers. There is no such thing there are current residents no one is really being a pioneer your just moving into a new neighborhood. Urg that just really bothers me.

Norwalk

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 1953 I had to post a comment on the 20/20 site about Hamtramck and Detroit. I am a resident of Hamtramck as well

Panda
Username: Panda

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they made it clear enough that this couple bought a house in Hamtramck which has been converted into a store (Design 99- go there, by the way). Then, as in 'different scenario', they bought a house a few blocks north of said storefront. It is here that they started buying multiple properties.
To recap- storefront: Hamtramck; houses: Detroit.

Lastly, I think it's great what they are doing and hope to see it continue, but I am perplexed as to why THIS story gained so much traction. This sort of positive, something out of nothing, urban pioneerism has been going on around this fair city for quite a while now.

Keeps me here.

Norwalk

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Design 99 is in a building that housed a chiropractor and before that I believe it was a bar for which the name escapes me

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.