Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Lindell A.C. - We're making a movie! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lindellac
Username: Lindellac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

A group of us are trying to make a short film / documentary on the Lindell A.C. to remind the world of what a real sports bar is all about. But here's the catch: we need your help. We know the Lindell is close a lot of guys and gals hearts on this forum, so we thought this might be a good place to reach out for help. Since the Lindell is long gone now, we're going to have to rely on old patrons, friends, friends of the old owners, former employees, etc. to help us find some material to tell the Lindell's history. So, If you've got a story, a connection, a photo or home movie, bar napkin, anything that you're willing to share with us, or if you're willing to talk with us, we want to talk to you. Feel free to post anything here, or even better, contact us directly at:

lindellathleticclub@gmail.com

Cheers!

-Matt

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family was very close with them and I pass the info along to my grandmother and father who I am sure would love to contribute...

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jimmy B and Andre"; classic movie. Sonny Elliot gettin` tossed out the door is one of the best movie moments caught on film.

Had many burgers there; I swear to this day that that grill was one of the best "seasoned" grills in the area -- you could never go wrong with a Lindel burger!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 665
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yes!
Some of the best burgers, ever.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 995
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should forward this to my "Grandpa" up north. I have always heard of what a great bar this was. Would like to see the movie when it is done.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butsicaris's were very good to me as a kid in fact there was hardly a time I went there where I didn't get something... To my recollection I got a game ball from Lou and Tram's last game not to mention a game ball from the 1991 tigers I think... I always got something even if it was a few packs of sports cards or a few quarters for pacman... I miss the lindell dearly.

Rsmack
Username: Rsmack

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the book "Motor City Mafia" It was once co-owned by Alex Karas. He was accused of having ties to the Giacalone brothers, Detroit's major organized crime family. It was the scene of widespread gambling. After a investigation Alex Karas was suspended for the entire 1963 season.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much agreed Baselinepunk and Bobl. Those burgers were some of the best around the city then and now.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to the book "Motor City Mafia" It was once co-owned by Alex Karas. He was accused of having ties to the Giacalone brothers, Detroit's major organized crime family. It was the scene of widespread gambling. After a investigation Alex Karas was suspended for the entire 1963 season."

It would have been nice if the author of the book would have spelled Alex's last name correctly since its Karras not Karas. Alex was the third partner in the Lindell and it was common knowledge around Detroit.

I wish I had a picture of Teddy the Wrestling Bear sitting on the floor of the Lindell with his trainer eating french fries.

Bob Talbert use to say periodically in his columns that someday he would write a book about the Lindell, but it never happened.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked across the street at the phone company. Can't tell how many nights when working afternoon shift, I'd run across and get burgers and fries (with vinegar!) for my staff. One night the snow was so deep I almost couldn't make it across and one of the guys met me 1/2 in the street. Especially LOVED the grilled onions on the burgers!

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Sat next to Andre the Giant one night at the Bar ...His Hands were so big ...They were arround a 7 and 7 (21 of them while i was there) I will never forget that day

Lindellac
Username: Lindellac

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone thanks for all the great responses! Keep them coming! And please pass the word around to others. Again we need all of you to make this a reality.

And if any of you or your friends or family are willing to get in-front of a camera and tell your story, please send us an email with your contact info and a short description of your experience. Again, we're at:

lindellathleticclub@gmail.com

On a side note, it's pretty funny how everyone keeps bringing up the burgers. They were amazing! Some of us working on this project were there when the Lindell was closing and got to enjoy one of the last burgers to come off that well seasoned grill. Just one more reason to keep the Lindell alive with this project!

Thanks again for you help everyone, and keep em coming!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman Sr. worked across the street at Bell Telephone, and he spent a lot of time at the Lindell.

Jfk
Username: Jfk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin co-wrote Jimmy B and Andre.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, I cracked a smile while reading of Andre The Giant's 21+ seven & sevens at Lindell AC. Do you think he was beginning to get a buzz?
Reminded me of the 1980s Detroit Tiger, who shall remain nameless, who drank at least 10 margaritas at Lindell AC while I was there. Several weeks later, at Xochimilco in Mexicantown, he was ordering pitchers of margaritas when I was celebrating my birthday at the next table.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come nobody mentioned the Karras-Dick The Bruiser brawl at the Lindell? I think if you go to www.detnews.com there still might be stills of a "bruised Bruiser" the day after.

Razr66
Username: Razr66

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We rode are bikes there on a Sunday afternoon to watch the Lions game, and ended up in a birthday celebration for bartender Tyrone... It was a private party, but Tyrone and his family and friends made us feel like part of the family, serving up plates of food and keeping the beers flowing!! What a great day!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.