Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Archive through January 23, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Tony. Must have got a disability retirement, eh?

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow going tonight and tomorrow! Be careful out there!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any photos of the firehouse on E. Jefferson across from the Chrysler assembly plant (near Conner's Creek)? I think it's Engine 32. Thanks!

Dfd

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an article about Windsor assisting Detroit during the riots and 2 DFD deaths.

Detroit and Windsor

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray : You are probably right about John .

Next time I am at the Fund office I will check.
Busterwum : That is E.Co.32. Chief 6 and Medic 12.Go to the Detroit Firefighters web site for
photos of all engine houses.
D.F.D.: Thanks for that link.I was unaware of that story until the question was asked on the D.F.D web site.I still don't know witch station is dedicated to Chief Coxon. Maybe someone has finaly stumped me.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: Carl Smith was killed in the riots. Dad's last name is Smith and he was on duty at that time. The news reported a FF Smith was killed and mom thought it was my dad (I was only a month old). She had no way of contacting dad and was worried sick. After that, dad made daily calls/nightly calls home with just one ring at 11 pm and mom would call him back. I couldn't imagine what mom went through not knowing.

Dfd

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the story Dt. I bet time was dragging during those days.
So how was Christmas at DFD? Hopefully not too busy.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A second alarm in a church early A.M.
Usual careless cooks through the day.
A few dwelling fires.Slow by D.F.D.
standards.Sadly,as every year at this
time, a fatal.On Monday an elderly couple
died in a house fire.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3736
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would appreciate the lookup, Tony. In the meantime, I found an obituary for him in the Houghton Lake weekly newspaper (after finding him at that location on the Social Security Death Index).

He and I chased after the same dolly many years back. He won, but they divorced after three years and I had another by then. Jesus, the memories...........

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are even, Ray. I saw your photo of Stella
on Non Detroit.I had forgoten about her.She was
a regular at E.9 on Lafayette & StAntoine.
Capt. " Z " would not tolerate her.When she saw
him she stayed away. The story of you and John
reminds me of a joke.Traffic cop pulls over a
speeder.Asks him why he was going so fast?
Driver says,"My wife ran off with a Cop.I
thought you were bringing her back"

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 728
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone know a fireman with the last name of Monticelli? He retired from the Detroit Fireman. I have recently been aquainted with one of his sons and I'm directing him to this site. He may have some input on this thread.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name isn't familiar to me. Are you sure
on the spelling? Do you have a time frame when
he served?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, His last name is Montinelli. I'm trying to get this site to his son, because he will have much to add to the site. Stand by.......

20043_stotter

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, I finally got it right. The spelling is Mancinelli.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put together a Facebook album of my fathers career in the DFD. I've added photos from his retirement party along with the signatures of the guests. There may be some names and faces some of you may know. There's some interesting reading regareding a highly contested case against CAY and the hiring of the first minority as Fire Chief.

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=2014670&l=bb342&id=120 0987561

Jjcortese
Username: Jjcortese

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was great to look at. By any chance did your Dad serve with my Grandfather, Tony Cortese. He as active almost the same time as your Dad. He retired in 75 as an Lt. from E-52. Again, I really enjoyed all the pics and interesting history.

Jeff Cortese
Putnam County Fire Department
Engineer, Engine Co. 24

(Message edited by jjcortese on December 31, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jeff I don't know for sure if their paths crossed but it's safe to assume if your Grandfather was an eastside fireman during the same time I'm sure they ran together at one time or another. I'll check some of the periodicals I have and see if I run across your Grandfather's name.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043: Joe Mancinelli was head of the photo
lab at Fire Marshalls. Many of the
photos we see are Joes' award winning
work. I hope Joes' son gets involved
in this discussion.He would have a wealth
of information and significant photo
history of the D.F.D.

Dfd

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent pictures!
Happy New Year everyone.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro : THANK YOU !! The photos of your dads'
party brought back great memories.
I got a real kick reading the
guest book.Eisner still has the same
address.

Zitro

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Harry Nann still on the force?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harry retired from Arson about two years ago.
When Harry was a young Firefighter he wanted a Fire Alarm Box.P.L.D. was bidding them out. I picked up a bid sheet for Harry. I walked into E.Co 18 bid sheet in hand. When I asked for Harry
they thought I was a process server .Blocked my way till Gene Bartarian recognized me.

Zitro

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny story! I used to bowl in the Fireman's league at Fantasy with Harry.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP !! More great memories.
Fantasy Lanes and I can't remember the name of the bar down 7mi. Maybe at Celistine?

Zitro

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cozy Corner

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glory days of 7mi. Fantasy Lanes, Cozy Corner
and Hams Restaurant.Like Bob Hope ,"Thanks for the Memories ". Back on subject,7th. had a good one last night.Maddog tells me a commercial building with Haz Mat on Copeland.

Dfd

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Dfd

Post Number: 957
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the State Police radio traffic.
Alot of spinouts.

http://www.qsl.net/n8chb/

Ejg1963
Username: Ejg1963

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem
How recent is your list of firehouses and ladder companies (Open/closed) in the Firehouse1 thread? Do you have an updated one that I can use to track down recently closed firehouses. I am interested in acquiring one. Thank you in advance.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no only recently closed firehouse that are vacant or for sale, Most of the companines that were closed were double houses, The only Single firehouse that was closed was Engine 37 and that firehouse was taken over by EMS. There are NO recently vacant firehouses.