Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Det Media Partnership snubs local talent in new video « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[ Comment reposted from misleadingly titled thread started March 23 by IzzyInDetroit ]

With proper respect to Izzy, the newspapers' music video is is not a "New Anthem for Detroit." Those friendly folks at the Detroit Media Partnership who produce The Daily Show with Incredible Shrinking Newspapers didn't generously make a minute-thirty PSA for the Metro Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau.

DMP spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a slick ad to promote itself as home delivery scales back (transforms, they say) next week. It's posted on each paper's site and on the partnership's Transformation landing page.

But the company stumbled bigtime, I feel.

In fairness, I'll briefly hold off shooting arrows here until after acknowledging the well-produced, engaging vid is upbeat and uplifting . . . mostly.

They're brave to use (co-opt?) Solidarity as one of six branding theme words handwritten on palms. That's a mighty hot third rail to touch. Much-debated internally, no doubt.

The other five words:

Authenticity | Performance | Love | Commitment | Laugh

Respect also is earned for two out of three longer slogans featured in V/O and visually:
* The hard times . . .
* We're all in this together
* Everything is going to be alright

Really? Journalistically? Reader-service? If we say it (No. 3), it's true? If only . . .

. . . which brings us to an arguably fatal flaw -- The artist:

This Time is sung and written by 45-year-old bassist Brian Vander Ark of The Verve Pipe, born and still living in GRAND RAPIDS.

That's confirmed on his band's site and IMDB (he's composed over a dozen film/TV songs). He's ID'd on the papers' video shortly after the opening frame (bot. left) in small type -- but not small enough. Not a stretch to surmise his GR-based band plays backup.

Really, DMP? This is how you're going? Is everyone that tone-deaf?

Community emotions aren't stirred up enough, so your agency goes 160 miles across the state to snub homegrown, home-based Metro Detroit singer-songwriters who regularly record national ads ... and may include your actual readers? Or did.

Seems that needlessly paints a bigger target on the slick spot that's your new public face, David Hunke, president and CEO, Detroit Media Partnership:

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5996
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They actually used the word solidarity? Sweet Jeebus.

It's okay. Hunke is packing his bags, according to building scuttlebut. I hope it's true. I hope he takes Susie Liarwood with him.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'tis true . . . . . . . . . at 00:57, last of 6 theme words:

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least the DMP used Michigan-based talent.

For what it's worth, my production company has done work in Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Lansing and Pontiac. Each time, we played up the fact that we were Michigan-based.

I'm glad no one on GrandRapidsYES.com chastised my clients for using me instead of someone from Grand Rapids.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're only allowed to do work for clients located on your block, on your side of the street.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! I suppose I'm also going to get ripped by the folks in Dearborn and Grosse Pointe for working on their turf.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardee-har-har. Yeah, that was clearly my point: Businesses and consumers should shop only in their own city or block.

Listen, I hear ya' and don't mean to go all Monica on this.

It's just that local papers -- especially here, especially now -- should feel extra-sensitive about spending dollars way across the state if they don't have to.

Call me old-fashioned in a global economy, but there it is: Their business depends largely on local support. Musicians in our region may rightly feel it's a two-way deal.

Sure, maybe that's too provincial . . . or maybe more than a few SE Mich. singer-songwriters feel Detroit papers should spend promo bucks where they're based. 'Solidarity' is more than a warm 'n fuzzy word, after all.

The keyboard I play on isn't a Roland, so any performers want to step in?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Verve Pipe and Brian Vander Ark are widely considered to be Detroit artists, at least out there in the big world. I thought they'd gotten their start in East Lansing. Close enough for me.
It almost sounds like Martha's pissed she didn't get the call to go into the studio.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait -- because I'm confused here -- you are not happy they used Vander Ark, a nationally known Michigan artist, instead of someone born in Detroit proper? Or you weren't happy his local ties weren't played up enough?

I'm having reading comprehension issues today.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, guys - In the spirit of seeing sunshine 'tween the clouds, I agree that hiring a prominent Mich. artist sure beats going outta the mitten.

I also 'spose there's no real harm in sharing a

label with a band that played MSU and lives in GR.

Since we last spoke, I learned that production of This Time took place at Harvest Music + Sound Design in Lansing. Hey, cool as well, right? Not like Metro Detroit has music and video studios.

Lastly, with no smirk, an e-high five to Diehard for the Martha line. Good one. For real.

(Message edited by RealityCheck on March 24, 2009)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did the video work in Lansing?

Okay - now they need to be strung up. I thought it was just the music.

I kid. I kid. Really. I kid.

It's a cool video. It captures Detroit well. That's the most important part of all.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You're only allowed to do work for clients located on your block, on your side of the street.

So sayeth Martha..so it is written, so shall it be. (Unless you're a former Vandella with a gig in Ferndale.)
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.