Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » George Kell passes away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Kell has passed away, at age 86.
Sad.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best athlete turned broadcaster I can think of...glad he recovered from that auto accident a few years ago and enjoyed more of his golden years.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George was my Favorite...Very knowledgable Baseball Man...
"Back to you Eli"
"It's a High Sky Today"
All said in his Southern Twang...He will be missed RIP

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/article/200 90324/SPORTS0104/903240426/Rep ort++Tiger+Hall+of+Famer+Georg e+Kell+dies

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ news/article.jsp?ymd=20090324& content_id=4058660&vkey=news_d et&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed George Kell's TV broadcasts as much as anybody. Decades ago, the Tigers were playing a doubleheader against the White Sox. The TV broadcast was going to pick up the second game so it was joined in progress between games. The White Sox had scheduled a Disco Demolition night between games where fans would bring in their disco records which were assembled at short center field and blown up. It got out of hand and fans took over the field and the second game had to be cancelled resulting in a forfeit win for the Tigers. What does this have to do about George Kell? He and Al Kaline were doing the broadcast and they came across as reactionaries to the spectacle unfolding behind them. It was the night I realized Rock N' Roll is more important than baseball. Thanks for the memories George.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8a_hBR9YuNw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o-fEtF9NKfc

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the soundtrack of my youth. One of the hallmarks of a lazy summer weekend afternoon was the sound of George Kell in the living room, combined with the breeze coming through the windows.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember that game well. During the first game, George Kell was actually impressed by all the young people in the audience. He kept saying throughout the game how great it was how so many young people were interested in the game of baseball. Didn't catch his rant on tv as we were in the car driving home when the halftime show got of hand. While we thought it was crazy and funny, I remember Ernie kept pretty much to the facts, so I never felt I had to decide between baseball or rock 'n roll.

Like a refrain you can't get of your head, George Kell's "Hello Larry and welcome to another afternoon of Tiger baseball" will never leave me.

Thanks George for being the Television Voice of Detroit Tiger baseball.

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on March 24, 2009)

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, I too have similar memories. I had a little transistor radio that I would carry with me all summer to listen to the Tigers....

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad news....i always loved Kell and Kaline working the games together. RIP to a Tigers institution.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball is a game of statistics, so I thought this would be interesting to some readers..

Kell outdueled Ted Williams for the 1949 American League batting title, hitting .3429 while Williams finished at .3428!!

Single_malt & Burnsie:
I listened to the Tigers games on the crystal radio I built in second grade, before George Kell moved to television!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kell was a gifted ballplayer, with both glove and bat, but my father always loved to tell the story of how tough Kell was: in 1948, a line drive from Joe Dimaggio broke Kell's jaw...but he still made the putout at third.

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sad! George and Larry Osterman taught me about baseball during the 1968 season. I knew virtually nothing about the game when I started watching early in the season. I was never a sports fan up till then. They made it enjoyable and educational at the same time.

RIP Mr. Kell and thank you for all the wonderful memories.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in Peace, I felt as if George was a dear friend. As a kid listening to him and Ernie was a real treat, but spoiled me, as they WERE the absolute best.They were the first announcers for me to hear broadcast baseball. No over dramatics, no "Bye, Bye, Baseball, junk, just a "It's a long belt to left, it's GONE, Kaline hits another one"! Those were the days back as a kid in the 60's. The Tigers were on the upswing, and George and Ernie were so very good at announcing the games. I used to feel like I was siting in the park, and nearly could smell the stale beer, cigar smoke and feel the peanut shells under my feet. We just don't get that today.

I went to college in Arkansas at Harding University, which is about 65 miles southwest of Swifton, in the city of Searcy. I knew George's nephew, Steven Kell. We were in the same fraternity. My sympathies to Steve and the entire Kell family.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellisms:

Dennis Fithian (now with 97.1) used to open his afternoon show on WTKA in Ann Arbor with a passing-fair version of Kell's "Good afternoon, everybody!"

My ballplaying teammates and I (back in the '70s) instinctively would respond to a ball fouled back high on the screen with "Look out, Larry!" as if it were coming into the press box.

Similarly, a wild pitch "Might be just a little outside..."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6834
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me and my contemporaries, hearing George Kell WAS baseball. Between he & Larry Osterman, Al Ackerman and later Al Kaline- Kell was by far the most beloved. I think there wasn't anyone of us that didn't have a poor man's impersonation of George Kell.

We'd be on the sandlot playing ball and as we're apt to do from time to time, we'd all say something reminiscent of a George Kell broadcast. That slight southern drawl was ideal for the kind of game baseball was; it was thoughtful, insightful and just paced just right (forget Chris Berman...UGH!).

"He hit that one like a BOOOL-it"

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to note that most of the comments above remember Kell as the broadcaster. Being an old fart, I remember him on third base as a class act with broadcasting being strictly secondary.

Ah, yes. George Vico on first, Eddie Lake on second, Johnny Lipon at short, and Kell on third. Along with Wertz, Groh, and Evers in the outfield, I still can't believe they never took it all in those years.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and heres the payoff pitch

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Dahl, a former Detroit DJ that moved to Chicago was the idiot that incited that "destroy disco" night. I remember how mad I was when the second game didn't come off. The fans ripped sod up, etc. etc. etc.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Kellisms:

"The pitching coach is coming out for a confab on the mound..."

"We got a real donnybrook" (i.e. fight)

Rest in peace, George. You were a good'un.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too share Burnsie's thoughts. A summer afternoon with the Tiger's game on the radio with George & Ernie as background to whatever your activities were on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Detroit has been blessed with outstanding sportscasters since our youth: George & Ernie, Van Patrick & Bob Reynolds, Bud Lynch. More Tiger Stadium memories to be remembered with fondness.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up watching him and Kaline. Truly sad. I shudder to think about how sad it will be when Ernie goes. First Tiger Stadium, then Kell ... Rough half a year for Tigers fans.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Ernie, I'll be able to recall and hear George Kell's voice for the rest of my life. And it will always be bound up in my recollections with long warm summer weekend afternoons, the taste of a cool lemonade or beer, the company of people also gone now like my grandparents, the smell and light of Michigan summers, and the lovely slow-fast rhythm of baseball. If being recalled instantly by the thousands of people who your voice reached and being remembered as a part of some of our fondest memories is a form of immortality, then that's what George Kell acheived.

Bye George...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news made the home page of Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 90324/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_obit_ kell

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Kell on the transistor radio hidden under my pillow to listen to night games from California or Kansas City. Growing up in SW Detroit with memories like that can never be taken away! Rest in Peace Mr. Kell.

Homer734
Username: Homer734

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually preferred George’s home run call to Ernie’s. He really captured the excitement right off the crack of the bat.

“…and there’s a long drive…”

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like Georges Reeves was our Superman and Clayton Moore was our Lone Ranger, George Kell and Ernie Harwell were our voices of the Tigers.
You can tell when you meet a gentleman and George was it.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm stretching my memory here, but didn't George take over the second chair alongside Van Patrick after the death of Mel Ott in an automobile accident in the winter of 1958/1959? His tenure behind the mike doing Tiger games may have been longer than Ernie's....

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Kell was the person responsible for bringing Ernie Harwell to Detroit in 1960. George joined the broadcasts in 1959. The sponsorship of Tiger Baseball changed from Goebel beer to Stroh's for the 1960 season. Van Patrick was of course associated with Goebel beer and John Stroh wanted someone else on the Tiger broadcasts. George recommended Ernie since they knew each other from Baltimore, and the rest is history.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP George Kell. I always wondered how he could tell where the person was from when they caught the foul ball. and that was caught by a person from Inkster.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby, that's Ernie's shtick.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rarely did I miss a Saturday afternoon broadcast. RIP Mr. Kell.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" It's a bright sunshiny afternoon"

" He pitched a whale of a game"

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP George. One of the voices of the summers of my childhood gone. Sad that he's gone, but happy for the memories he helped make.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how he always called Chet Lemon "Chester." Nobody else could get away with calling him that. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this one: George had more doubles (385) than strikeouts (287.)
287!! In over 7300 plate appearances.
Arizona Diamondback 3rd Baseman Mark Reynolds struck out over 200 times LAST SEASON.
Reynolds won't tommyhawk many pitches if he keeps that up, but he could, conceivably, break a few bats raht heyf in two.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The news made the home page of Yahoo: "

Ridiculous that the photo they used is of him in an O's jersey. He went into the Hall as a Tiger and will always be associated with Detroit.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Everyone..My Head is Spinning ..With George Kell's voice. That "Bright Sunshiny Day" Wow..You All are some of Detroit's Best!!! What Memories for me 1962 and on and on...

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a community we were blessed to have broadcasters like George Kell, Ernie Harwell, I remember Van Patrick doing Lions games,Bob Ufer doing UofM games. Like Mike Valenti said on his show, we are literally watching the generation of broadcasters that could make the game come to life and whom we grew up with dying off. The current generation of sports broadcasters just don't measure up.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite saying of George Kell went something like this, "Following the game, catch sports with Eli and the News4 team." I drove my wife nuts everytime a New York Giants football game was on and the announcers would mention Eli Manning's name. I would say that George Kell-ism almost every time. Too bad I can't capture his southern drawl in print, but if you remember this, you know how it went. Thanks for the memories, George.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" The current generation of sports broadcasters just don't measure up" You ain't kidding - those guys that do the Tiger games on Fox now are better then sleeping pills.

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Kell... Thanks for the memories!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only good thing about having to come inside the house during the summer was that Tiger Baseball might be on the TV. Which I could tell cause it was George and Al I'd hear outside of the house. I too this day miss George on the TV. God Bless you George.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6837
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comparing George Kell and some of his Kell-isms to the manufactured lines today? There isn't any. George Kell was honest & genuine in his calls. He spoke in a sincere & courteous tone to the game. I don't ever recall him disrespecting the other team or have these well rehearsed lines that so many of these modern day announcers would have. He was a true gentleman behind the microphone and will always hold a place in my heart as being the voice of my childhood summers.

God rest you Mr. Kell. You'll always be fondly remembered here in this town by a lot of people.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3936
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-( RIP Mr. Kell

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some favorite Kell lines (all said in Kell's voice of course) : When a player hit a line drive into the stands: "LOOK OUT"! A player attempting to steal a base: "There he goes"! "There's a base hit to left"! "We gotta high sky today". "We were in the coffee shop at the hotel". "A big double header today". .....Detroit has been blessed with great sports announcers, possibly the best anywhere.

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George on TV and Ernie on the radio were the best combination you could ever ask for. For as long as I live those two will be the voices of the Tigers, as they were from when I started following the Tigers in 67 and for the next 20-plus years.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was also a direct line to much of baseball history, particularly through his stories of the lessons he learned during his time with the A's from "Mr. Mack" as he always called him, the great Connie Mack in his fading years.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George, Ernie, and Paul Carey. Detroit's Holy Trinity.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Harper, I agree but respectfully would add Bruce Martin calling the Red Wing games!

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martyn: Now FeTEEEEE-sov over the line! ...

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" It's a bright sunshiny afternoon"

" He pitched a whale of a game"

Don't forget when some team, while on a win streak, would win again-"Boston continues to roll." Or these
"tempatour"
"Cinncinata"
"Toronta"
He always would do guess the attendance by ending it in 32 xx,x32. I LOVED George Kell.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fondest memories of George Kell are from rain delayed games on the weekend. While Channel 4 cut away from the game, they'd show "This Week In Baseball", and if the delay went long enough, maybe an episode of M*A*S*H or Barney Miller would come on.

Every 20 minutes or so,the t.v would go back to a live shot of the game - the camera would show the baseball field, with the tarp still sprawled over it, and there would be about ten seconds of on-air silence... rattling of papers and other assorted background noises... then you could hear ol' George kinda clear his throat and he'd say something like:

"And it's STILL raining here at Tigers Stadium, with the Cleveland Indians leadin' four ta nuthin' in the bottom half of the fifth... I had a chance to talk to Steven Kemp before the game, and...." Then I'd go mow the lawn or something.

A true legend to be missed, as we've missed him anyways for several years!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.