Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Indie comedy film: Stick It in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Straight-to-DVD raunch release came out yesterday. No indication whether filming took place here.

Newbie director/producer Robert Daniel Phelps, who also stars and is one of the four screenwriters, is described in a news release as a "Detroit filmmaker [bringing a] 'comedy bailout' to the state of Michigan and the city he loves, Detroit." Promo synopsis:
quote:

From the desperate heart of the Motor City, comes a gritty, raw,
unrated comedy that will take you from smiling to laughing your head off in 4.1 seconds flat.

Chaos rules while factory worker Todd Kennedy is forced to choose between accepting a lucrative out-of-state job promotion or staying in Detroit. His indecision leaves him searching for answers from his highly dysfunctional family and friends.

The laughs are nonstop as first-time director Robert Phelps and his amazing cast take everyday Middle American situations and turn them into laugh-out-loud social train wrecks.

Trailer and order option ($18) here.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some tasteless stuff that is funny and there is tasteless stuff that is not. This looks like tasteless and not funny.
Bathroom jokes and swearing don't often make for hilarious entertainment if that's all there is.

Don_jaguar
Username: Don_jaguar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering when this film was going to come out and now I have my answer. Very excited! I saw it at the DWIFF screening and yes it is very tasteless but also very, very funny! From what the producer said after the screening, it was shot here in Michigan and boasts an all Detroit Soundtrack. It is the first film I've seen that really showed Detroiters just being Detroiters. It's an indie and was apparently made on the cheap so it does have some sound quality issues but very few. It took some digging but I found a review by a blogger who also went to the DWIFF screening and I think she sums it up perfectly. If your interested here is a link http://dtalesdtown.blogspot.co m/search?q=%22Stick+It+In+Detr oit%22. You have to scroll down just past the "South Park Video". If you offend easily or are uncomfortable watching a guy hosing a topless girl down while wearing a thong and dancing a jig than you might want to skip this one, the other 99.9% of people should check it out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.