Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Finally: A story about the collapse of the Packard bridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090326/COL27/90326081/How+twi sted+rubble+turned+Detroit+str eet+into+a+sad+cul-de-sac

Enlarge the photo that accompanies this story. It's worth a 1,000 words.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What needs to be made clear here is that that road is basically an alley the general public doesn't use. This story is really being blown out of portion by Bill McGraw. I'll agree that the Packard Building needs to be torn down, but it is not a health hazard, unless you go in there trying to steal iron rods out of concrete beams.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree, that "road" has not been navigable for years. That's cause its not a road and should not be a road. It's an ALLEY between the Packard complex's different buildings & sections. It starts at Grand Boulevard and goes nowhere except through the complex.

Puh-lease McGraw

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree, Royce. There's plenty to write about the Packard Plant without misleading readers about that segment of Bellevue. It is basically an unused alley and it makes no sense for the City to spend its limited road funds maintaining it.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What needs to be made clear here is that that road is basically an alley the general public doesn't use."

Bellevue Avenue is not an "alley" - it is a public road maintained with our (read: not just Detroit) tax dollars, and as such can not remain in its present condition, nor should the owners of the property be allowed to leave their garbage on a public street. "Yesss, just leave it there". Thats some real third world thinking, there. The City dont have to pay, go after the fucking owners and make them howl ! Ooops - is the owner Detroit ?

And whats with all MackWarrens McGraw threads ? Is this an advertising section for the Freep now ?

If so - I want to complain because my sunday paper was in the bushes last week.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it a 4x4 trail.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since part of the bridge has collapsed, it would likely need to pass an inspection or be demolished before traffic can be allowed to pass under it.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As near as I can tell, Bellevue stops being a public road 100' north of Frederick. It's another ~275' to the bridge in question.

In Streetview, you can see the remnants of a fence where the road ends.

1%2C-0.08062431259542903,http: //maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou rce=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=packa rd+plant,+detroit&sll=42.37412 8,-83.025165&sspn=0.001106,0.0 02146&ie=UTF8&ll=42.374422,-83 .025731&spn=0,359.991417&t=h&z =17&layer=c&cbll=42.374099,-83 .025253&panoid=RYdobDFV4sMRBEH H5-HbTg&cbp=12,334.97909623728 907,,1,-0.08062431259542903

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGraw must be owned by someone left over from the attempted land-grab of the Packard plant from 1999-2003, he beats the drum incessantly and far more often then any other abandonded structure in the city.
With all of the historical value stripped off of the building by the owner (which is worth $0 to the useful value of the structure--the building has to be able to earn its keep as a viable business structure) it's clear that the structure is doomed. The City and State's complicity in the vandalisim and stripping have hastened this. The big question: in this economy who will pay for the demolition?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4589
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the DEATH of American manufacturing companies in Detroit. Globaliaztion and exploitation of soon to be developed nations is corporate America's target.

(Message edited by danny on March 27, 2009)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO at Unclefrank.

That strip of Bellevue's been a 4x4 trail for years now though.

Ive spent a lot of time on Bellevue at the Packard and rolled my truck tire into an uncovered manhole twice. Id do my best to place some type of garbage marker over the open manholes so folks wouldnt drive into them. I gotta say though, I love that kind of unknowing adventure while roaming the D. Whenever they do tear down the Packard Im gonna miss it.

I once bitched out another scrapper for trying to steal a sewer grate on the SE corner. He apologized but it was gone the next day.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the city being sued for damages they caused when they turned a working operational facility into a wasteland?

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father worked at Packard's in the '50s, from around '53 until he got laid off in '56. It breaks my heart to see what has become of the facility.

(Message edited by ancestor_hunter on March 27, 2009)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City owned building turned scrapper paradise, left for dead, and now needs to be torn down? Hmmmm....anybody else see a pattern here?

It's a shame that for a fraction of the cost of demolision, the city could put new roofs and seal up these buildings. Better yet, had they took care of the buildings from the day they took possession of them, most would not be in the state they are in.

Why aren't building codes strictly enforced in this city? Hiring hundreds of building inspectors would pay for theirselves in a matter of days. Why is the city the biggest violator of it's own city codes?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently found out that my mother worked at Packard sometime between the late 40's to 1953.
Secretarial job of some sort.

Does anyone know if a trip to the DPL (Burton Collection) would lead me to any info as far as what type of job she had other than the general secretarial description and the years that she worked there?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK No one has that information. Packard kept immaculate records until after June 25, 1956, when they shut down all Detroit operations (what was Packard) During the following month workers emptied all of the file cabinets into cloth-sided bin buggies (like hospitals use for laundry), rolled them across the street and fed them into the powerhouse furnaces. There's your Rosebud.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.