Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Arthur Penhallow out at WRIF « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arthur Penhallow posted this on his facebook page:

"It appears that my days in Detroit radio are over for now. Thanks for your support over the last 39 years....I shall return."

I grew up listening to this guy. Another Detroit legend bites the dust...

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3532
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember listening to him back in the 70's. Met Art personally a few years ago, nice guy.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4313
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet he retires in..........MAUI !

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6189
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a shocker. I know he's a little old for the younger set, but on WRIF he was a fixture. I'll miss 'Baybee'

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Radio and Records:

"Motor City radio legend Arthur Penhallow has been conspicuously missing from his usual afternoon perch at Greater Media active rocker WRIF/Detroit, where he's been for more than -- hang onto something -- 30 friggin' years!

The Detroit News says that Penhallow's been off since his contract expired in February; ST Daily reached out to Riff PD Mark Pennington, who couldn't comment specifically, but said that negotiations were still going on with Penhallow. Stay tuned.... "

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News story was posted several days ago.

AP posted this comment on Facebook several hours ago.

I guess that the negotiations are over.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess what I'll miss most is being able to listen to 40 seconds of dead air as he forgets to turn on his mic, or have him talking over commercials or music because he forgot to turn the mic off.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time, he has not been able to que a song for 10 years now. Now he can concentrate on his passions, drinking and beating on women.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, talk about the end of an era.
He's an icon. Has anyone else been at the same station as long as he has? Dick Purtans been around awhile but he was with at least 2 other stations in that period. He was with 95.5 and my parents speak of the days when they were kids and he was on keener.Penhallow at least has been consistent and stayed at the same station.
Whatever happenned to Penhallows bar out in westland? I heard about it for maybe a year way back in the beginning of the decade, then it just sort of fell off the radar. How long did that last?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not going to rip on a detroit legend but that time slot is long over do for a change.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More coverage, this time the Detroit News:

"WRIF DJ Penhallow goes off the air

Susan Whitall
The Detroit News

Arthur Penhallow won't be yelling, "It's the weeeeeekend!" today; it appears that the veteran of 39 years on Detroit airwaves won't be returning to his longtime radio home, rock station WRIF-FM (101.1).

Late last night, Penhallow posted on his Facebook page: "It appears that my days in Detroit radio are over for now. Thanks for your support over the last 39 years. ... I shall return."

Last week, Greater Media general manager John Gallagher had said he expected to have a talk with Penhallow soon, to see if he would accept the station's offer, which one can presume was less than his previous contract.

Penhallow was known to generations of Detroit rock fans for his distinctive bass voice, Hawaiian shirts and comically salacious patter, as well as his signature growl, "Ba-by!"

This is the second time veteran hosts have been let go by Greater Media-owned stations. In late fall, J.J. Johnson and Lynne Woodison were dropped from their gig hosting WCSX-FM (94.7)'s morning show.

Gallagher did not immediately return a call for comment. Come back to detnews.com for more details."

Don_jaguar
Username: Don_jaguar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I remember getting off the bus and running in the house to watch this crazy new thing called music videos with the WRIF commercials in between "Hungry Like A Wolf" and "Billie Jean" and me imitating the Grand Pooba's "Baby" signature until my parents shut it off. Good luck Arthur!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Whatever happenned to Penhallows bar out in westland? I heard about it for maybe a year way back in the beginning of the decade, then it just sort of fell off the radar. How long did that last?"

"Penhallows after dark" lasted about 6 months. No bar did very well there. Bad location. It's some sort of office now.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I didn't realize he was still on the air. I haven't listened to WRIF since ... geez, high school? Maybe once in a while if I get a craving for Deep Purple or something.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm definitely not going to miss him "coming" in my radio, as he used to say.

I think Art was born on Maui, and has family there, so it makes sense he'd more than likely retire there.

Boy, they've been really hammering local radio people over contract renewals the past year or so.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio is getting pummelled by the same advertising pressures as newspapers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the local stations go dark over the next couple of years. There just isn't as much money to go around as there used to be.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WRIF is an active rock station, so they say. So them having a geriatric geezer still doing drive time made no sense. Well it did if you like hearing the same tired 80s rock and played out early 90s alt rock. Memo to the RIFF, ITS 2009! Play something from someone not collecting Social Security.

Homer734
Username: Homer734

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was huge when I was growing up, but I’ve found him absolutely unlistenable for over a decade now. I can’t recall the last time I heard him engage in a normal dialog with a guest, the traffic girl or anyone. Every word is just dirty old man shtick. Good riddance.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanna bet Drew is going to replace Penhallows spot with afternoon talk.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be Art P's theme song...not to be mean or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ai7ZGzUgHrU

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't he the voice for W4 when they did that W W W W in all different channels, when they broadcast in Quad?

Gee am I showing my age?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was great in the WXYZ FM underground rock days. He would even play some Miles Davis. Lost me many years ago when he started the Wolfman Jack imitations and Baaaaby stuff.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was then, this is now.
Time and tide wait for no man.

Willy
Username: Willy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wanna bet Drew is going to replace Penhallows spot with afternoon talk".

If you really think they'd take him back after the way he jerked them around and left the morning show in a lurch, I've got some swampland in Detroit to sell you!

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the Grand Poobah of Rock-N-Roll came to the realization that his heyday was over. He ws good for a while and then his routine became old.....real fast!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyes post circa 2019:

"Man I sure miss the good old days with Arthur P on the Radio, back when WRIF was on the air"

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hadn't heard Big Daddy in awhile, yet I work during his time slot. If you didn't listen to WRIF regularly and ART wasn't on at 3pm you would figure he was on vacation.Saw him at a Chevy dealer once and he said to me "Son you look rough" "Hope you had fun".

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a comment on the WXYZ comment on Arthur Penhallow leaving (gypsylady). I was surprised at the toxic comments made against his age...many who grew up with him in the 60/70s are older now too...as all of us will...Mr. P and WRIF provided great FM alternative music formats as Grandy, Eastown and Garwood flourished in the 60/70s....I still say Arthur Penhallow is vintage like wine...and Detroit will miss his unique voice on the radio.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess he was due to be retired anyway. Will Dick Purtan be next?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I listened to WRIF mostly in the 70s and 80s, I do vividly remember one summer afternoon in '94 when Penhallow was stuck broadcasting from a WRIF radio van for some local music event, and he was moaning and bitching about how hot it was inside, I couldn't help but smile at his miserable rants after a while, then he cued up Soundgarden's hit song, "Black Hole Sun" and played it twice in a row which just made me burst out laughing.

It was in the mid-90s that day, and I was listening to my boombox radio while laying carpet tiles in my sunroom, but had to quit because it was just too damned hot to work, even with the ceiling fans running, and the windows open.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arthur P is a legend, but everyone has to move on eventually. If you don't listen to WRIF, you don't really realize how loyal the listeners are. I worked at Riff2 (WRIF's HD station) from Jan 2006-2009 in the same offices as WRIF and WCXS. They really have a large, dedicated audience in this area. Personally, I crack up to "Mike in the Morning" every morning, and I listen to WCSX at night (I love classic rock, but I know most 29-year-old women don't). I think the station and rock radio will be around longer than you may think, honestly.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6202
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we're going to tell Big Daddy stories...
Back in about 72, I called into 'RIF to request a song, and he answered the phone. I, trying to be cool, said 'How's it hangin'?' and Art growled 'Down to my knees, baby'.
I don't remember if I ever made the request.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to know if Greater Media would spend the money to have Drew Lane on their afternoon drive shift if they are jettisoning the salary of the Grand Poobah ... so much for the "between the knees rock and roll" from the Big Daddy!

I used to like how he would do the weather forecasts during hot summer days with hilarious phrases like "87 rock and roll over degrees" when giving the current temperature.

I guess if the J. Geils Band were rewriting "Detroit Breakdown" today it would extend to our economy and media icons as well!

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa!!!! Hold the phone ...

Former WDFN and WKRK sports and talk personality Gregg Henson -- who often scoops traditional media with his radio insights -- just posted the following on his blog in the last hour or so:

"It appears that Arthur P's comment on facebook was just a negotiating ploy.

An article that appeared over the weekend made it appear that Arthur P and Greater Media are still in negotiations to return the Detroit icon to the air within days.

Arthur has been on the radio for 39 years and even though he isn't 22 anymore he is still a very important Personality for WRIF. With Mike in the Morning still ramping up, Arthur is a mainstay who brings a lot of name recognition to the legendary call letters.

This is simply negotiation and it is only a matter of time before the radio station and Arthur P. find a number they can both deal with and move forward.

Maybe WRIF's plan B is Drew, but it is highly unlikely that he will work for less than Arthur, after so many years behind the mic, Arthur isn't making chump change, but he certainly isn't making anywhere near what Drew was hauling down in Morning Drive.

I hope Arthur and RIFF get a deal done soon, with GM on the brink, Detroit doesn't need to lose another institution."

The plot thickens ... BABY!!!!!

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got done talking to Arthur. Check out the blog for my short convo with him (and WRIF's interim replacement plan):

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/s hea

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess Henson didn't bat that one out of the ballpark.
Arthur P talks, describes a possible job as a pitchman for a Michigan film studio...also, the Drew Lane rumor is addressed:
http://www.detnews.com/article /20090330/ENT05/903300424/WRIF +s+Arthur+Penhallow+leaving

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story /Penhallow-Leaving-WRIF/3eQ8Vw hQkkygO_pYU5U3ig.cspx

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good riddance, the wife abuser's schtick grew stale years ago.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's all this about him abusing woman?

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good riddance. Now if they can just get rid of Mike from the morning show that station might actually be tolerable. Nothing like listening to an 100 year old ramble on and play some rock. He should of been gone when WRIF stopped playing records!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've stopped listening to the morning show--it's awful. I didn't mind hearing Big Daddy on occasion, but not every day.

Jyoungvoa
Username: Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoaa....Arthur P not on the RIF! It was fun pounding on him and the station when I was at Wheels during its first year (1980-81). He kinda looked like that TV wrestler Lou Albano, the guy with the rubber bands twisted in his beard. The on-air persona Arthur had back then was "gruff and ruff," totally in character for a rocker. Radio has changed so much, and not for the better. Talent has become disposable - only the corporate "playlist" seems to matter anymore. If I could have seen all of this way back when I started in broadcasting, I would have taken up white collar crime instead. At least that always has a future (haha) Jeff Young, Voice of America

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.