Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 'In Detroit, the Music Scene Keeps on Rockin' - NYTimes, March 29 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Micheline Maynard, who usually covers about auto industry and other biz, today tells Final Four visitors and others where "live music endures in the Motor City."

St. Andrew’s Hall, New Dodge Lounge, Magic Bag, Baker's and Cliff Bell's ("As close to a Manhattan jazz spot as anything in the city") all get shout-outs here.

But before noting that "Detroit's music scene stretches beyond downtown" -- and includes The Ark, in her geographically broad definition -- Micheline dangles this red meat sure to feed DY debate:
quote:

The Stick is the center of the Detroit club universe.

So there you go . . .
. . . have at it!

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume she means the Magic Stick, which is definitely my favorite place to see a show.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Magic Stick does seem to be the current center of what's happening.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good article, and she's not off-base regarding the Stick.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was a good article. usually bands i want to see play at other venues that weren't mentioned, but you can't list everything in an article and it covers a nice variety.

the stick is in some ways a center and i do like to go there sometimes, but it seems like since greg stopped booking the shows a year or two ago the quality has gone down a bit.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to also add Small's in Hamtramck. That place has great prices and good sound. Great venue for small punk/indie shows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.