Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Free newspapers tomorrow « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The News and Free Press are giving away free papers at stores on Monday. It'll be interesting to see how these changes that we've been hearing about pan out. ::shrug:: Can't beat free, I guess.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 707
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get your tabloid! Get your tabloid here!
And if you have a LOT of extra time on your hands, try loading and changing pages on the new online editions.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should take 50cents off my bill.What are they gonna give away when they do away with the print editions?.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where?

Bobl

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my way out to look at the new tabloid. Noticed that digitalfreepress.com has deleted comments that are critical of the new online version, which is distressing to me.
Any comments on this apparent censoring of the discussion?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Bobl. That's unreal. Well, I guess people will just have to flame it here, where it's free from the man!

Bobl

Post Number: 719
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R:
I was wrong. It was www.freep.com that appeared to delete the negative comments, not the digital version.
Picked up the Detroit News print edition a while ago. It was what one might expect. It is sad to see the decline of printed dailies, but I suppose it is better to have the smaller versions and fewer home delivery options than no options at all!

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl, Freep.com has ALWAYS censored comments and blogs they don't like. This has been an annoyance of mine for awhile now.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bobl, Freep.com has ALWAYS censored comments and blogs they don't like.

Yeesh, so all that racist bilge that gets spewed in the comments section is post-censorship?

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend brought home both papers today. I forgot that today {Mon} was the day delivery stopped.My Dad was up before 9am to get his free papers.One of the only times in the last 20yrs that I have seen him holding a Detroit News.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl I agree that they are basically tabloids now. I understand the financial reasons for them getting smaller and smaller but it sure sucks. I have newspapers from just 10 years ago and they were so much thicker and articles were MUCH bigger than they are today. There was actually content and in depth reporting. Todays paper has more games, pictures and graphics and far less content. My opinion of the digital Free Press is that ______________ and ______________________________ __ but wh____________________________ ______________________________ ________________

Bobl

Post Number: 726
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another poster mentioned the lack of editing, especially in the on line editions. Spelling and syntax errors seem to have increased.
I hope that investigative journalism does not take a hit, especially concerning local events.
Let's all hope for the best.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.