Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Op-ed on future of American cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a fairly long read, but very well worth it:

quote:

With their crowded neighborhoods and web of public services, cities are not only invaluable cultural incubators; they are also vastly more efficient than suburbs. But for years they have been neglected, and in many cases forcibly harmed, by policies that favored sprawl over density and conformity over difference.

Such policies have caused many of our urban centers to devolve into generic theme parks and others, like Detroit, to decay into ghost towns. They have also sparked the rise of ecologically unsustainable gated communities and reinforced economic disparities by building walls between racial, ethnic and class groups.

NYT: Reinventing America’s Cities: The Time Is Now

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you imagine someone proposing that a freeway in Detroit be dismantled?

quote:

When state officials unveiled a plan in 1997 to expand the expressway’s entry ramps, easing truck traffic to the city’s commercial food markets, the community rebelled, and Pratt began to develop a counterplan that would dismantle the expressway altogether and free up 28 acres of land. More specifically, the plan would extend local streets across the site to a new riverfront park, provide up to 1,200 units of affordable housing, create a new sewage facility and restore wetlands along the river. Commercial development could be linked to a planned commuter train station.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this first page of this earlier and can't wait to finish it. He definitely set the stage accurately.

And, nota bene, although Obama has created a new office of urban affairs (or something to that tune) and passed the stimulus, the amount of new roads that are going to get built relative to transit upgrades is shocking, and the focus of his plans so far really don't seem to get to the urban crisis. I will wait and see, but I don't trust DC as a whole to do much, considering that most people there represent our truly suburban nation.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this opinion piece this morning. It is very thoughtful. We definitely need to rework the old policies that promote (and I mean actively PROMOTE) sprawl. I don't want my hard-earned tax dollars used to encourage green-field developments that require new investments in infrastructure while our return on investment hasn't been fully realized on the old infrastructure we abandon in the areas we leave behind.

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing portions of the Lodge below Davison and I-375 completely dismantled. Those are a huge waste of money.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mack good point - the stimulus is so vast and so much going on at once - I wonder if Obama himself is really aware the ratio of highway to transit.

As far as taking down freeways - Niagara Falls- is wanted to remove the parts of the Moses Expressway between the city and the river. It does happen.

With Detroits' population decline are there still traffic issues> Buffalo is so easy to drive around - at any hour.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.