Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Tigers pitcher on DL for uncustomary reason « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not crazy," lefty pitcher Dontrelle Willis says in a frank article posted today by the Tigers, reporting that he's left spring training because of an anxiety disorder.

"My teammates might think I'm crazy, but this is not something like that," Willis says. "This is something totally different that I'm concerned about."

Dave Dombrowksi says the club worries that "he hasn't shown consistency." Manager Jim Leyland, sounding baffled by it all, says:
quote:

Whatever it takes to get him to [pitch successfully], it's far beyond my understanding. I'm a baseball manager, and that's what I deal with.

Our forum-mate Bill Shea shares blunt comments, with just slight restraint, on his Crain's Detroit Business blog.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't mean to make fun, but anxiety disorder? Really?"

Don't mean to make fun? Really?

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zach Greinke had this a couple years ago and got it sorted out and is now a productive pitcher.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see Dontrelle Willis BEING an anxiety disorder to Jim Leyland and Dave Dombrowski every time they hand him the ball because of his inconsistency in throwing strikes, not having an anxiety disorder. Is he the new Jimmy Piersall?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dontrell's totally been stricken by "the thing." He and Curtis could own this town.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I can see anxiety. That's a lot of pressure on a player every day.

Of course there are a lot of perks, like lots and lots of money.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was getting 12 Million dollars whether I performed or not, anxiety would not be an issue

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn Henning raises both eyebrows today over part of the Tigers' "explanation."
There's some mystery surrounding Dontrelle Willis' diagnosis

The News sportwriter also comments on the contract that'd help Drankin and most of us cope:
quote:

The stakes are high. The Tigers owe Willis $22 million through the 2010 season. But if he were to spend the bulk of this season or 2010 on the DL, insurance policies that are routine for highly paid players would likely be responsible for as much as 50 percent of his compensation.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that the Tigers gave up Andrew Miller for Willis. Maybin for Carbera was a good deal, but on this part Detroit got shafted.

Dombrowski's sure pulled off some bad deals in the past year. Edgar Diarrhea was also a bad deal, now they need pitching, and Jurrjens is in Atlanta. Diarrhea was a terrible fielder and has lost his range. San Francisco is going to be sorry they signed him.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9156
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was getting 12 Million dollars whether I performed or not, anxiety would be the ONLY issue...amplified by the expectations of thousands of ticket buyers coming to watch me play a game.

If this turns him into a poster boy for psychological issues, so much the strength for all those regular folks who suffer the same.

I wish him well in finding whatever it takes for him to weather this invisible scourge...same for anyone in the middle of clinical depression.

Both are not weaknesses, they are hardly any different than catching a cold or getting cancer...it just happens.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.
- Ebby Calvin LaLoosh

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a ploy on the Tigers' part to shaft some insurance company?

Some folks have anxiety disorders but is D-Train one of them?????????

I believe a person with anxiety disorder should be very easy to spot. Anxiety isn't easy to hide such as depression, for example.

Psychologist know how to test for anxiety in tests such as IQ tests (persons with anxiety disorder do very poorly on certain things).

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu_Steve -> After reading the article from detnews, I almost guaruntee this is setting the Tigers up for an insurance claim. My question is, how do yo uallegedly diagnosis Anxiety Disorder based on a blood test? My licensed psychologis fiance even confirmed that you can't diagnosis that disorder (or really any psych disorder) by a blood test.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This remark is not meant to be offensive, or to front off anyone, but two things I can do without:
People on an internet forum commenting on psychological/physiological issues about which I have no reason to believe they possess any creditable knowledge.
Tiresome "Nuke LaLoosh" references. Enough, already.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have reason to believe they don't have creditable knowledge?

I played baseball and I also played football professionally. I know a bit about performance anxiety. I wasn't getting $10 million, however.

What else can you do without?

Me? I could use less "reality TV" and fewer dying newspapers.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I DO have creditable knowledge.

I'm very, very far from clinical psych these days but it wasn't always that way (many years ago).

I actually did graduate work in the area (at one of my graduate schools - not EMU) and administered psych tests including the major IQ tests which were the S-B and WAIS (a person with graduate knowledge of psy knows those two IQ tests - including the full names).

Tnere are certain sub-tests within the WAIS which individually and collectively can be used to diagose not only intellectual ability but psych disorders.

A skilled clinican should be able with the WAIS determine if D-Train has an anxiety disorder by his performance on that test.

That's as much as I'd like to say about this area.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the amount of money they gave him wasn't the only thing that was crazy.

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the best overview I've seen so far of Willis' situation:

http://mvn.com/roarofthetigers /2009/03/the-dl-claims-yet-mor e-tigers-dontrelle-and-zumaya- go-on-the-list.html

Count this forum as home to "a lot of comments about this story elsewhere on the internet today, many of them ranging from the confused and curious to the willfully ignorant to the downright cruel and small-minded."

In fairness to those Samara calls out, there's an awful lot to be confused about with this story.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.