Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2 » Archive through August 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Riverside_ishmael
Username: Riverside_ishmael

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved 286marlborough's account of life in the Lakeside Trailer Park hay day. There is another famous Marlborough address: 646 Marlborough--where Charlton Heston's father lived. I can see the appeal. The house looks like a hunting lodge, something that would intrigue an upper Michigan native. When my wife and I were newlyweds in 1955, his step-mother (Thelma?) Carter taught at Rose Elementary on Van Dyke and picked up a colleague every morning at our apartment on Cadillac Blvd. When the Hestons were visiting, Lydia would sometimes accompany Mrs. Carter to school. It all seemed so improbable that an actor of his stature was hanging out on the east side. We once entered the Michigan Theatre lobby, only to encounter him striding down the incline from the auditorum in that characteristic jaunty gait. As in those other accounts, we froze at the pop machine and let him pass undisturbed. However two elderly ladies at the candy counter engaged him in conversation, and he seemed so accessible and courteous. The movie was "The Naked Jungle" costarring Eleanor Parker and a cast of 1000s (of ants). There had been an autograoh signing party earlier, and Heston was probably headed back to Marlborough.

Molly
Username: Molly

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure Mrs. Carter's first name was Velda. An unusual name :-) I had her for auditorium class, along with Miss Klaybor (SP?). I picture Mrs. Carter with black hair, and a white streak running through it, but that was a long time ago, couldn't be sure! Best, Molly

Riverside_ishmael

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly,
I stand corrected. Last year Elaine Hamby posted a "Velma" ID for Mrs. Carter. I tend to go with "Velda," as a name just exotic-sounding enough for an auditorium teacher.
Also, according to Audioswhite. the Carter homestead on Marlborough was 584 not 646. "with hand-picked field stones" sounds right to me.
When Heston was in town, the media always said he was visiting his father in Grosse Pointe. What was that all about? Was that more Moses magic like parting the Red Sea?

Mary_ann_jakel
Username: Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing to say about Lakeside Trailer Park or Marine Hospital, sorry but I wanted to say hello to Ron Saad my old (not that your old) next door neighbor on Eastlawn. Hi Ronnie!
Mary Ann

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mary Ann. How are you?
Where's Richard now?

Molly

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann- you're not Mary Ann Deveras are you? MY old next door neighbor on Eastlawn. We were at 400
the Deveras must have been 402. Mary Lou, Mary Ann, Rose Marie and Medding Deveras. A long shot, but thought I'd check! Molly

Molly

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just shared this picture with my family, of my uncle Bob Moran at 501 Chalmers. The year was 1957 or so...It was his first communion from St. Martins. Bob died in 2003. His birthday 8/8 just passed. He was close to the Esian kids. A wonderful man who had great memories of the old neighborhood.
Molly

Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly,
No, I'm Mary Ann Jakel 780 Eastlawn
MAJ

Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron,
I'm very well. I moved around quite a bit and finally settled in Vancouver, WA, married for 23 years and divorced, have a 21 year old daughter. Rich is doing very well also. He is crazy busy at the present. He is shop steward and it's demanding. He's married, has 2 grown kids and 5 grand-children. He lives close to me.
MAJ

(Message edited by mary_ann_jakel on August 10, 2008)

Ron_saad

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice.
Write me at Rosaad@aol.com and we'll communicate more. Both my kids just got married less last year.

Ron

Riverside_ishmael

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has to be an easier way to find this thread. Don't ask me how I initially found it. When I try locating Paradise Lost/Lakeside Trailer Park at DetroitYes, the list of topics is endless and I'm unable to find it. So I wind up Googling word phrasing I recall hoping a search option will come up that I can recognize. Please! Someone clue me in!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Discuss Detroit and go to Eastside memories Megathread

Riverside_ishmael

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Than you Ron! I couldn't have done it without you. So easy--once you know how. Vancouver, WA is that where all those feet are washing up?

Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After following this website, and this thread for awhile, I just had to join up.

I grew up at 579 Newport, between Freud & Essex, until I was 18 (1978). A lot of your names are familiar to me. I was one of the last of the Desmets.

Ron Saad, your family's store was my "Field of Dreams" growing up. I traded in many a pop bottle for 2 cents apiece in barter for candy. I can remember like it was yesterday, walking into the place from the side door on Freud and going up to the counter to commence the trading process. Hmmm... Huck Finn banana chews or Bazooka Joe bubble gum....? Pressure packed choices with every mission.

Ahhhhh, youth.....

Ron_saad

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like it Mike. Now you have to trade 6 bottles for a candy bar if your lucky. If it wasn't for memories what would we do. Every time an old song comes on it feels great. How we hate getting old.

Little_mike

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no sad Saad's stories. Only good ones. To show you how times have changed....

I must have been about 4 or 5 years old (circa '64-'65). My Dad gave me some money and told me to go to Saad's and get him two packs of Pall Malls. I didn't know how to read yet, but I knew what Pall Malls looked like. So I went and made the run.

After doing this a few times, I got bored. One day, I bought him a pack of Pall Malls and some other brand in this cool, green pack (Salem, Newport... who knows). When I got home, my Dad asked me what happened, as he noted a botch in his system. I told him these were better (the greens). In all actuality, I liked green better than red, so the logic was clear to me.

After that, we played a game where I would now buy a pack of Pall Malls and one of my choice. This way, he got his smokes of choice, I got to choose a cool pack (like Tareyton - the old black eye commercial). Years later I found out Dad just saved the odd packs and took them back every so often and traded them in for Pall Malls.

Looking back, that's how close knit the block was. A 4 year old could walk half a block and just about every adult on the street would keep an eye on him.

As I got older, I always wondered what the guy behind the counter thought when a little kid was in there choosing that second pack of smokes. Maybe he just knew my Dad, and was tipped off ahead of time of the process.

My how times have changed.....

Elaine_hamby
Username: Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Mike: Are you Mary Ellen Desmet's brother?

Little_mike

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. For 48 years.

Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gosh! She was one of my buddies! I still have her 8th grade picture and some letters she wrote me after I moved to Kentucky in the middle of the 8th grade (Dec. 63) How is she? Will you tell her for me that I was asking about her?

Little_mike

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's fine, and living in Sterling Heights. I will tell her of you. Are you living in the Detroit area these days?

Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, I've moved all over the place! I've been outside Philly now for several years. But I have cousins in Sterling Heights. She and I were in a group which included Pam Nixon, Hermione Pursch, Sharon Moore, Lynn Horman, - I'm leaving somebody out, I think - and we were pals mostly in the 7th and 8th grade. We had a blast at a slumber party at Pam Nixon's. After I moved to Kentucky in the middle of the 8th grade, Mary Ellen wrote me some letters telling me about high school, which I missed out on in Detroit. I was so jealous of the big high schools everyone went to! If she has email, I'm at maryelainelazar@yahoo.com. Thanks Mike!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to school with Camille Desmet.

Little_mike

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camille was my cousin, Ron. Our families lived right next door to each other. Another family of cousins lived right behind Camille on Eastlawn (Camille's brother Ed and his family). Another one of her brothers, Richard, and his big family, lived a few doors down Newport towards Freud. All of them went to St. Martin. Camille always was, and still is, a good person.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Desmet families' father who was quite the mechanic. I recall some of the Desmet boys riding in the n'hood with a home made chopper, made by sawing off the hollow forks of an old bike and bolting them onto the end of another bike's fork. Great idea.
Also, they made a bicycle for two by just connecting the front to the rear of another bike. Car steering wheel on a bike. There may have been others -

Little_mike

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kennyd, I know I know you, but I just don't know who you are. I've been reading your posts, and I am one year behind you - Guyton, Remus Robinson, St, Ambrose. Contact me offline at desmets84@yahoo.com if you wish.

As for our Dads....

If you needed a new garage or porch built, one of our Dads was surely involved. All were carpenters extroardinaire.

If you needed some electrical or plumbing work done, one of or Dads was there with megging equipment or pipes. My Dad, Paul, could fix anything inside of a house. And I mean ANYTHING. He LIVED for that stuff. Our little basement was a hardware shop.

If you needed cement poured, Camille's Dad and brothers, Buff, Ed, Richard, and Peter, were there with their mixer ready to go.

And all of these guys would be doing it for nothing! NOTHING! Just glad to help out and be satisfied with their quality work. That's what a neighborhood was back then. We all knew each other, and we all helped each other. Help by neighborhood Dads was repaid by pies, cakes, and stuffed cabbage from neighborhood Moms.

As far as bikes go, though - us Desmets were straight up as kids. No choppers. Just good regular stingrays given to us on birthdays, and taught how to maintain them and understand their value by our Dads and Uncles. Mine was purple. We were showed where the tools were and taught how to use them and how to take care of it. I can close my eyes to this day and still recall every angle and detail about that bike. It had only one gear, and it was a low one, so I had to pedal a little more than the average joe. I'd always smoke them going up hills for the bridge on Ashland and Byerly's store on Korte, though, going over Fox Creek.

The Schwenk boys, (Chuck, Bob, and Don), now THEY might have been your bike guys. I am sure some of them, if not ALL of them are welders or fabricators to this day. Hell, they did stuff like that back when they were kids! Don was the greatest model car builder on the block.

As I said before, Ahhhhh, youth.....!

Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike!
Got your email and thanks for it. You have a lovely family. Just wanted to weigh on the bikes. I didn't know how to fix mine, but boy was it a beauty. Powder blue and white 24" Schwinn, no gears. And the piece de resistance (as they say in France): a brass nameplate with "Elaine" on it. I loved that bike.

Carol_f
Username: Carol_f

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi just found this site today. I wrote before but not sure what happened to my post. I attended Guyton K-7. 1956-1965 I estimate. I lived in the Trailer Park until I was about 13. I worked at Tommy's the summer of 1966. It was my first job. I grew up at Tommy's, knew them my whole life. Excited to see this forum.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Tommy's for 5-7 years. Tommy bought me my first 2 Cars.

Carol_f
Username: Carol_f

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ron--I only worked at Tommy's one summer but I knew them in their little store on the other side of the canal as well. Bought my allowance worth of candy there often. I probably knew Josie and Sophie the best. I remember eating Antelope in their kitchen in the back. My maiden name is Prater, but I think you are a bit younger than me. I think I know Brenda and Mike Desmet however. Great Memories.